Thread: 5VZ-FE Partial Rebuild

5VZ-FE Partial Rebuild

Don't know when I will say enough is enough and get rid of this thing, but for me thats like pulling the plug on someone you love so...

Brief back story, Frame rotted, Got wrecked but running Donor, kept parts (engine, doors, fenders, ect.)

Fast track today, Head Gaskets starting to go in engine currently in truck. Had an inkling for a while since it would clear up after warm up, but recently loose about 1/2 gal in 60 miles...

Among the millions of other things that need to be addressed on this truck, whats one more item to the list... No off-road trips for me for a while...

Plan - Break down engine to block, check cylinder walls and bearings, if all check out reseal engine and prep for manual trans swap...

Engine has 270k roughly, while the engine in my truck has just under 240K, and lets face it, we were all young and stupid at some point, I more stupid then others trying to flex my 'muscles' with a 3.4l but bouncing off the rev limiter finally took its toll....

May consider a supercharger if a deal comes around on one, otherwise naturally aspirated it will stay.

Okay enough babble on to the Pictures!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

As far as I got today was removing wiring harness, and accessories to the engine, well what was left from savaging to put on the engine that is in the truck now...

5VZ ID on block and heads

Looking forward to seeing this! Good Luck!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

If that's a good donor engine. I would just slap new HG on it. Send heads out to get checked and cleaned up. Slap it back together. Don't really see the need to tear the motor complete apart.
    88 4Runner LT
    04 Tundra

Quote Originally Posted by toyotech View Post
    If that's a good donor engine. I would just slap new HG on it. Send heads out to get checked and cleaned up. Slap it back together. Don't really see the need to tear the motor complete apart.
    It's good in the sense it was running and not making any strange noises before I pulled it.

I thought I mentioned it, looking back I did not. It was putting out some blue smoke, I'm really hoping for valve stem deals, and occasionally the oil light would flicker, hoping for a bad sensor.

I plan to take heads off, check cylinder walls and if no deep scratches, check the bearings on the crank quickly and go from there.

My guts telling me that I'll pull the heads and all will be fine, get gasket set, clean everything up, and put it back in.

I just don't want to do this for maybe at least another 10 years, so it's out I'll address what needs done.