Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Corax's 1UZ swap

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    I was thinking of adding one to my 100. I had it get hot enough it shut down the AC last summer while stuck in traffic, although there are other cooling system issues that should be addressed.
    It worked well, but remember that it only works as long as there's fluid in the reservoir. I mainly used it going up to Idyllwild or Big Bear when I was winding out the engine. Good for a short duration cooling boost when you're under high load, not so much for extended use. If you do wanna go that route, find one of the high output Mercedes or BMW washer motors. If you ever really need to, you can do the same thing with the stock washer reservoir, just route the washer hose to spray on the radiator (I've seen race teams do this to make it through a stage).

well, yep, the alternator died. luckily there's a $40 rebuild kit on Amazon which comes with both bearings, voltage regulator, and new brushes in a holder. Unluckily, it doesn't come with the diode bridge, which is what went bad on mine. So, any repair is a chance to upgrade, right? The stock 97-99 LS400 alternator is rated for 100 amps. The 01-03 LS430 alternator is rated for 130 amps, uses the same oval plug, and bolts on. In 2004, the plug on the back changed and isn't a plug in swap. I got the idea from this thread. The only real difference is that the later alternator uses a 3rd bolt, which you can buy and use (p/n 90109-08298), or ignore completely. The new alternator is also slightly smaller in size. Install was easy and I didn't even have to remove anything to drop it out the bottom. Don't forget to upgrade the battery/alternator lead if necessary and upgrade the alternator fuse. Here are some comparison pics, new one on the left

While I was warming up the engine and making sure the alternator is working properly, the lower radiator hose blew off. This happened once before, and I just tightened the hose clamp a bit. The problem is that I had to cut off the bead at the end of the pipe when I trimmed it down. $5 for a Harbor Freight pair of vice grips, a thick washer, a bit of welding and some work with the cut off wheel and I had a tool to make a new bead at the end of the pipe to help keep the hose on.
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

I've been daily driving this beast all week, and it is an absolute blast. It accelerates like my BEAMS swapped RA64 Celica and growls like one of the new Lexus LC500s. I barely ever use 1st gear to pull out from a stop (what's the point) and can break the rear tires loose without even trying. That said, there's still more work to be done to iron out the minor details. One of the simpler things I figured out was that the 4wd shifter was just barely touching the shift boot plate, so 5 minutes spent notching it out slightly and it no longer tries to shift into 4wd when I launch the truck

I also figured out that a GX470 driveshaft is the exact same length as my stock 22RE/W trans driveshaft, except it uses 3" tube instead of 2.5" tube - larger diameter= strength increase as well as an ability to run at higher speeds before vibration and failure creeps in (called critical speed). I also just happened to have saved one from the scrap pile at work, so, a free upgrade is nice. Note that this driveshaft uses a different flange bolt pattern than the stock 4runner. I already have a triple pattern pinion flange, so I'm just waiting for Marlin to get some triple pattern transfer case flanges back in stock so I can bolt this in.
    (stock 22RE on the left, GX470 on the right)

I've been using the Torque App to monitor engine vitals while driving this week. Fuel trims are off a bit, and the Check Engine Light is lit all the time. One of the main reasons for the CEL is that I never wired or installed the 2 oxygen sensors after the catalytic converter. I believe these do more than just monitor the life and effectiveness of the cat, for reasons that would take too long to explain here, I'm fairly certain they also affect fuel control at higher throttle and load conditions. 2 weld in bungs and 2 $20 oxygen sensors later and I have this, just need to run the wire yet and that will be 1/2 of the CEL concern taken care of.

The other half of the CEL concern is due to the fact that the ECM is looking for an auto trans which just isn't there. I've decided to buy the "ATEMU" from All4Swaps which simulates the auto trans with a few simple wire connections - just need to wait a couple weeks. That should take care of all the DTCs causing my CEL to come on. As an added bonus, it should also get rid of the default "limp" mode the engine has been operating under - throttle opening limited to 80% and the VVTi not operating in its full range. The non-VVTi 1UZ doesn't need this emulator. Here's an after ATEMU install dyno graph of a stock 1UZ VVTi

the problem. no matter how much I tried to clearance the trans cross member, the transfer case would still hit it

so I modified a 3.0 V6 cross member (trans mount moved 1.9" back from the stock location)

side by side comparison. 3.0 V6 chain drive transfer cross member on top, 22RE gear drive transfer case cross member on bottom. You can tell the 3.0 V6 cross member is swept forward much more, giving more room for the transfer case

much better, and a lot more room

Keith I noticed that you have both o2s run in the same pipe? have you run a cross over to just run a single output exhaust? I looked through the thread but can't see what your end result for the exhaust was.

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun View Post
    Keith I noticed that you have both o2s run in the same pipe? have you run a cross over to just run a single output exhaust? I looked through the thread but can't see what your end result for the exhaust was.
    Yep, it goes: crossover to a 2.5" single pipe, catalytic converter, both downstream oxygen sensors

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345