Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ARB Twin Compressor in a Tool Box

The new 4Runner needs air so I picked up one of these today. $495 on the Amazon. Thanks for the info Sean.

Great choice! Looking forward to your thoughts on it, as well as how you mount it.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

From what I can tell it's a great performing compressor and that's what I'm after. I've got an MV-50 that I bought when I first bought the 3rd gen. I had had a York on my white truck and couldn't be without air. I think I used the MV-50 on one trip before I knew I had to have another York.

To avoid the head scratching of building a bracket and tensioner I decided it's time for an electric compressor. The plan is to build a custom mount and put it in the same place as this guy. I'll probably plumb lines to the bumpers as well for easier access.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    Great choice! Looking forward to your thoughts on it, as well as how you mount it.
    I fabbed up a mount for the little spot I wanted to stick this large compressor. I utilized factory threaded holes in the location which made things easier in some instances but added some difficulty in others. If you look closely you can see all the cut outs to clearance the brake lines, it's a tight fit.

In place

Sean as you know this compressor comes with a large wiring harness and last night I hacked into it. It's very nice but too much if you don't run air lockers (yet). I omitted the solenoid pigtails and the long four wire switch harness that goes through the firewall. I don't have a ton of clearance above the compressor and plan to run it with the hood up. As such I mounted the switch next to the compressor instead of running it to the dash using wire I ran instead of the long ARB harness.

Question for you Sean. It's kind of hard to tell from your picture but it looks like you only have the purple and black running to your switch. Like you omitted part of the harness as well. Do you have a 12v ignition wire going to the switch? Without one my compressor won't kick on. The switch has the 2 blacks, purple and 12v ignition going to it.
    Last edited by 4x4mike; 02-13-2018 at 08:22 AM.

You have a 3 pin connector with purple and black wires and one empty terminal. I think I swapped the outer wire from one side to the other. Requires you to depin the connector but a couple of dental picks makes short work of it. This allows the switch to be just on/off and powered from the input from the battery. I'll try and get some pictures of mine tomorrow when I have a spare few minutes.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I didn't de-pin anything but rather cut. Using the image below, I cut the 2 wire harness at the red line. There is about one foot of purple and black wire.

I attached the purple to the terminal (#3) shown on the switch.

I added a short black wire towards the end of the existing black wire and attached each to the terminals (#7 & #8) shown in the diagram.

I tried to fire it up and no dice. I added a jumper from 12v to the #2 terminal (shown in green) and it then worked properly via the switch.

I'm thinking you don't have a jumper or power to terminal #2?
    Last edited by 4x4mike; 02-13-2018 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    You have a 3 pin connector with purple and black wires and one empty terminal. I think I swapped the outer wire from one side to the other.

From some Google images it appears the outer wire is the black wire, with the purple in the middle. So you're saying swap the outer black wire to the empty slot? Well yes. That's what you said, I'm just talking outloud (and typing it out). I'll give it a try, thanks.

Yes swap the black.

I should add that I am just using the switch as on off, no light.
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 02-13-2018 at 10:07 AM.

I'll do this tonight. Thank you.

I'm doing just on/off as well. Once everything has settled I'll find a forever home for the switch. If possible I'll find a reason for you to print out another bezel.

Text me if you need help with it. I either figured it out thru staring at the wiring diagram and trial and error.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast