Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to this forum section

New to this forum section

Hey guys, I'm new here and wanted to share a picture of my new purchase.

I needed a new project like I need a hole in the head but I'd been itching for something different for some time. For about a year and a half I'd been toying with the idea of a GX470 and then kind of shelved that while the aftermarket was being developed. I kind of went back to it, then to a 5th gen and then a 4th gen. Of note I was also toying with getting an additional vehicle, like an IS350, just because plus I've never owned a car of my own. Thrown in the mix was also a hot air balloon and a Scat-2 hoover craft (I have some great friends) but I had to keep this midlife crisis warning down to a low roar.

What it is. It's a 2007, SR5, 4.7l V8, 3rd row seating, 85,000+ miles, silver paint and grey/black interior cloth.

Why I bought it. While a hot air balloon would have been fun and something none of my friends have I had to keep my purchase reasonable. I love my 3rd gen and would keep it but I wanted something with a little more room and power. With two kids getting older we needed more room for our travels. We have a 2012 Honda Pilot and it's great but it's offroaded-ness is limited.

The 4th gen, especially with the 3rd row, will give me and the family much more flexibility and if I was going to sell the 3rd gen this would be the reason. The extra power is also nice and while I'll miss the manual transmission I will bask in the comfort of an auto. In some cases the 4th gen is just some much easier to drive.

Another reason I bought this one is that it had just over 85,000 miles and with the exception of little parking lot dings on the painted plastic it's in great condition. I bought the 3rd gen at 84,000 miles and kept it for 10 years and one month, I plan to do at least that with this.

I've taken a lot of the goodies I had in the 3rd gen out and will keep about half of it. Mostly radios and electrics. The new one needs all that plus more and once the 6 month warranty is over I'll be ready, especially for the lift, etc. Overall I'm pretty excited and have had fun buying new goodies. I hope to document some of the new build but the process of uploading pictures really turns me off.

I'll miss the 3rd gen but it's time to let someone else have some fun with it. It's got an entire life ahead of it and hope it doesn't miss me too much. This was the day after I bought it. First mod was removing the running boards.

Awesome! Looks like a great place to start!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Those 3rd rows are so hard to find too.
    88 4Runner LT
    04 Tundra

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike View Post

So about that picture...one day I was out for a walk in the neighborhood and heard the unmistakable sound of someone going at a project with an air die-grinder. As I walked toward's Mike's street (he lived a few blocks from me at the time), I knew it just had to be him, especially considering I had knowledge of the fact that he bought a new-to-him 4Runner the previous day. (I'm not sure texting existed then, so perhaps I received a telegram informing me of this fact.) Sure enough, it was Mike, carving the hell out of his rear cargo box to make room for all of his crap. When Mike started shopping for a 3rd gen I told him he could have any model he wanted but I'd be envious if he got a 5-speed Imperial Mica Jade with a sunroof. So he found a unicorn 5-speed Imperial Mica Jade with a sunroof and the Highlander Package, 1-upping me yet again. Thankfully it did not have a supercharger so at least there was that.

Good times running around with Mike in that rig...hard to believe it has been 10 years already. Enjoy the new rig, I'm sure the die grinder will be coming out soon, if it hasn't already.

Still don't regret giving my left nut for that 3rd gen.

The air tools and mini sledge came out this weekend. I pulled the wheels/tires and spacers from the 3rd gen and put the 5 stars and 265's back on. Since I was already sweaty and had the tools out I put the Sport wheels on the 4th gen. While they fit it's like a fat man in a little coat and I rubbed just getting out of my driveway. Instead of putting the factory wheels back on I started cutting and flattening.

I used JA 4Runners page to guide me in moving the fender liner and some liquid courage to start cutting other plastic. I'm not into the pinch seam yet but I did flatten some little piece of metal and it looks like I should be clear of the body mount but we'll see. I'm still doing my lift research so that might be a bit but I do plan on cutting out the cargo pocket like I did in the 3rd gen.

I need to fire up the flickr and update with some pictures. I've added Weathertech mats all around, LED headlights and fogs, LED interior lights and a power socket.

Edit: Got the pictures

Last edited by 4x4mike; 01-29-2018 at 02:16 PM.

Curious to see how bad those LED headlights are. I've gone back to good, quality halogens unless I have a HID projector like on the 4Runner.

It's looking good! Come wheelin' this weekend with me!

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I'm really happy with the headlights. The projectors have a nice cut off line and the color and output is much better than I ever had with halogens. I've had my wife drive up and down the street for me to check them out and I don't find them glary at all. The high beams are open reflector and I've still got halogens in them.

I took a couple of night pictures but it was raining and with a cell phone it's hard to capture the light well. I could take a garage door pic but it looks like any other projector headlight.

Glad they worked out. Most I see are... Unfortunate.

I guess time will tell. The LED's have great reviews and I'm pleased with the output. These projectors are the only ones I've ever owned and I like the light pattern more than what I had with the 3rd gen and PIAA halogens. From what I was reading the LEDs seem to be more plug and play than what is out there for HID options. Some of the better HIDs are too long and others run too hot and melt the housings.

Congrats Mike! Which LED headlamps did you get? I'm curious cuz I've been looking for a good pair but didn't want to plunk down on junk. Sometimes I can't trust the reviews I read on Amazon so if you've got a brand or a link hook me up!
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast