Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caliper and drum replacement bleed screws

Caliper and drum replacement bleed screws

I have found the caliper bleed screws on my 4Runner are seized and the hex is almost completely rounded over. Needless to say, they need to be replaced.

Stealership wants over $7 for each, Camelback and others have it for just over $5.

Does anyone have any experience with aftermarket parts? I've never had to change bleeders out!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I had to change out the bleeders on my 3rd gen. It was awhile ago and probably back when I first got it and I was baselining it. One was clogged and one was stripped. Of course it was on a weekend and the dealership was closed. I got replacements at Kragen (now and O-Riley's) so I could be up and running the next day.

IIRC correctly they looked just like Zerk fittings and threaded right in. It's been a bit since I've had to turn them but they worked fine the last time I bleed the system. For something like a bleed screw I'm not sure it's necessary to go with a factory part.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    I have found the caliper bleed screws on my 4Runner are seized and the hex is almost completely rounded over. Needless to say, they need to be replaced.

Stealership wants over $7 for each, Camelback and others have it for just over $5.

Does anyone have any experience with aftermarket parts? I've never had to change bleeders out!

Sean,

I know I'm reviving an old thread, but I'm going to change out my bleeders with Russell Performance speed bleeders. They have a one way check valve and the reviews seem to be good on these. I'll be changing them out next weekend. I'll let you know how they work.

On another note I have a Motive Brake bleeder as well. Regardless of how many times I use it, I still do not get that optimal firm brake pedal response just by using it alone. If not the bleeders, it might be the booster or possibly the lines themselves.

Bob,

Because I could not confirm that those speed bleeders would work with my 199mm Tundra Calipers, I opted for OEM Toyota:

4754712010 PLUG, BLEEDER
    4754720030 PLUG, BLEEDER

Not sure which is front or rear. The longer ones went up front, and I believe they were more expensive, so I think it was 4754720030. Those were twice the price of the other.

I use an adapter I made years ago and the compressor set at 5psi to bleed. It is pretty good, but I suspect the MC is showing its age. brake feel is not as good as my Lexus, but the Lexus also has disc rears.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob98SR5 View Post
    I know I'm reviving an old thread, but I'm going to change out my bleeders with Russell Performance speed bleeders. They have a one way check valve and the reviews seem to be good on these. I'll be changing them out next weekend. I'll let you know how they work.
    I am curious to see how well you like them Bob. The rear wheel cylinders on both my 4Runners are always seizing with the northeast salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    I use an adapter I made years ago and the compressor set at 5psi to bleed. It is pretty good, but I suspect the MC is showing its age. brake feel is not as good as my Lexus, but the Lexus also has disc rears.
    Sean, does the Lexus have a traditional Vacuum booster or an accumulator style like on the newer 4Runners and FJs? If it has the accumulator, I have a bleed procedure you could do to get the firm pedal back.

Lexus has the accumulator style and works awesome (right up until it fails catastrophically). The 4runner is crippled by the rear drums.

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun View Post
    I am curious to see how well you like them Bob. The rear wheel cylinders on both my 4Runners are always seizing with the northeast salt.
    Avi,

This weekend's task after the e-locker wiring, oil dipstick seal, and leak testing. I'll let you know how it goes. I gave my extra set to Lance, who might be all over this as well (provided that lazy ass picked it up from his post box)!

Bob,

Awesome, look forward to seeing the results!
    How is Lance, I feel like out of the major players from the past I have lost contact with him. Does the 4Runner still even exist anymore??

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun View Post
    Bob,

Awesome, look forward to seeing the results!
    How is Lance, I feel like out of the major players from the past I have lost contact with him. Does the 4Runner still even exist anymore??
    Avi,

Didn't do much in the way of the 4Runner today as we had a ton of home things to do. Though at 10:15PM right now, I plan to read the instructions for that dye, find the fluid capacity of the power steering pump, and have a plan for running that dye tomorrow morning.

We've been refurb'ing a set of really nice cast iron patio furniture and side tables for about 2 months (though we started this probably about 5 months ago!), which consisted of breaking down the chairs down to the nuts and bolts, cleaning, repainting, and then doing some very careful drilling of the bench slats we had professionally cut and stained by a local company. See attached pic. We're so glad this is done. Now we can sit and enjoy the backyard!

We had to buy a desk today as well and as a result, we rearranged our office furniture and the stuff. And that led to moving the old desk and other things we put on the back burner. Then cutting up Amazon boxes, cleaning the garage and tools, etc, etc. I'm exhausted :P

Lance is doing well! He's driving a Land Cruiser as his DD now. As for the 4th gen Green beast, well its been in a state of disrepair since he rear ended another vehicle on a desert run. Lance has two kids now and so family is definitely taking precedence

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast