Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The die is cast: DIY weld rear bumper and tire carrier (True North Fabricatiions)

Off by a degree...maybe

So one of the crucial check points in the process is Step 10. There's a previous check where the instruction ask to check one angle (15 degrees). Step 10 asks you to check 3 different ones. I rechecked the 15 degrees and saw that I was about a degree off on both sides. The next one I checked, I was curiously on point at 85 degrees (outside of the wings to the theoretical flat face of the front of the bumper. Using a piece of wood that I cut many months ago (perfect in fact for the job), it hit 85 degrees. Sweet. This was the one that concerned me the most. I checked the rear most measurement of 69.25" and it was off by about a 1/16". Whew! While not 100% perfect, I think and i hope that a degree or two or 1/16" won't make the difference between being happy or having to redo the whole thing again---which would NOT be fun.

So I'm confident at this point to make a few more tacks to make sure this thing doesn't fall apart on me if I drop it when I test mount it. I'm still waiting to hear from the TNF about my question about bracing the hitch receiver at a 90 degree angle.

Speaking of test mounting, this thing is getting heavy. I watched a Timmy the Toolman vid where he mounted a CBI bumper and sure enough: transmission mount and two extra helpers. I need some more friends up here lol!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rear measurement was off by a 1/16" of an inch. Considering the hell it was putting this thing together solo, I'm totally cool with this.

There was one more measurement that I didn't take, but will do tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob98SR5 View Post
    Rear measurement was off by a 1/16" of an inch. Considering the hell it was putting this thing together solo, I'm totally cool with this.

There was one more measurement that I didn't take, but will do tomorrow.
    I'm just sitting here eating popcorn. Looks good man! Makes me wonder if my Hobart will be up for the bumper challenge. I think I'm going to go with the coastal offroad set for the 4th gen. Front, Rear, and skids total just under 1500 buckolees

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Quote Originally Posted by Kryptoroxx View Post
    I'm just sitting here eating popcorn. Looks good man! Makes me wonder if my Hobart will be up for the bumper challenge.
    Thanks for the compliments! I've not had time to work on the bumper and I need to figure out a way to make something that will be able to secure the bumper on a hydraulic jack. Or else find 2 people for a few hours to help me fit it to check for correctness---and then remove it so I can weld everything down. And then another time to refit it.

I'd rather make something as you can see

I tried welding 5/16" with my (old/sold) Lincoln 110v and it was an exercise in futility. Gotta get the 220v. If you're not opposed to buying a HF welder, the one I got (Titanium 200) has been really great. When I switched the spool to 0.035 wire (thickest wire it can handle) and moved up the dials accordingly for welding the ΒΌ" steel, it was pretty sweet. And it more than easily handles the thinner plates when you make the adjustments.

I don't blame you: Coastal makes some nice stuff. I'll probably get the Coastal front bumper next year. I really like their front bumper designs.

EDIT: corrected from jack stand to hydraulic jack

When I built a 14 bolt axle for my old truck I built a rolling stand out of 2X6 lumber. It allowed me to work on it off the ground and roll it into place by myself. Jack stands would work but are hard to move around when they're loaded.

Mike,

I realized that I mistakenly wrote "jack stand". I meant to write "hydraulic jack".

But your solution is a better one. Glad I have friends who are more imaginative than I am. Thanks for the tip!

So last night I changed out my 99 OEM Toyota rear coils to a used set of OME 906s, which I wrote about here in this sub-forum. Gained about 1.5" from the stock 99 OEM coils, so that's a big positive. Oddly enough, the stock coils were taller by about 1.0 - 1.5". I was freaking out. But I read later after the install that the 906s are some of the shortest coils, but with a heavy load rating and a moderate spring rate of 330lb, which I believe will be perfect for the rear bumper and tire carrier w/ tire. See pics. Daylight is old 99 coils. Night time is tonight after finishing up installing the wheels (OME 906).

Also I purchased Sonoran Steel's rear polyurethane body mounts based on his website's recommendation on replacing them for heavier rear bumpers to prevent bumper to body deflection and damage. They're coming in the mail tomorrow, so if they arrive before I get home, then I'm going to install them that night.

I have an appointment to install new tires on Saturday. I'm going to stick with Bridgestone Revos. Now they're up to Revo 3s. I still like the original Revos vs the Revo 2s. They lasted a helluva lot longer too. As much as I'd like to go for the "look" and get some muds, I really can't justify burning a few hundred more for my truck that only really gets driven now on the weekend.

So trying to get all of this done so I can test fit the bumper on Saturday or Sunday so I can do the final welding over the course of the next two weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob98SR5 View Post
    So last night I changed out my 99 OEM Toyota rear coils to a used set of OME 906s, which I wrote about here in this sub-forum. Gained about 1.5" from the stock 99 OEM coils, so that's a big positive. Oddly enough, the stock coils were taller by about 1.0 - 1.5". I was freaking out. But I read later after the install that the 906s are some of the shortest coils, but with a heavy load rating and a moderate spring rate of 330lb, which I believe will be perfect for the rear bumper and tire carrier w/ tire. See pics. Daylight is old 99 coils. Night time is tonight after finishing up installing the wheels (OME 906).

Also I purchased Sonoran Steel's rear polyurethane body mounts based on his website's recommendation on replacing them for heavier rear bumpers to prevent bumper to body deflection and damage. They're coming in the mail tomorrow, so if they arrive before I get home, then I'm going to install them that night.

I have an appointment to install new tires on Saturday. I'm going to stick with Bridgestone Revos. Now they're up to Revo 3s. I still like the original Revos vs the Revo 2s. They lasted a helluva lot longer too. As much as I'd like to go for the "look" and get some muds, I really can't justify burning a few hundred more for my truck that only really gets driven now on the weekend.

So trying to get all of this done so I can test fit the bumper on Saturday or Sunday so I can do the final welding over the course of the next two weeks.
    Hey that looks pretty good! I enjoyed the 906 springs a lot. The only time that I didn't is when I was towing. The handling was fine but they would dip quite a bit under a nose heavy trailer.

I keep getting tempted to drive her a couple more times before @BattleWagonActual comes to pick her up lol. I know I will miss her.

Anyhoo definitely waiting to see more progress pics on the bumper. I'm not super shot in the head about a new welder right now since I have zero access to a 220 plug but I welded my welding table together and it was all .25 or better. I'll think about it but that little Hobart can throw some heat. I was able to lengthen the alternator arm on the 3rz with a little bit of creative grinding prep and that was .5 thick.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

So I got the Sonoran Steel rear body mounts yesterday, but forgot to check the mail until about 9PM. I did though prep the install by removing the appropriate panels and plugs out of the rear cargo area. I saw this Timmy the Toolman video (around 14:20) and I don't think this is the safest way to do things.

I'm going to attempt to do this by removing all of the body mount nuts (except the front) and jack the body up from the pinch weld about dead center or closer to the front side of the rear tire. What do you guys think?

When I did my body lift, I did the drivers side then passenger side. there is enough give in the mounts that you dont need to worry about bending anything (unless you go really overboard). I used a 4x4 from the jack to the body to lift it.

looking at his video, id at least screw all that together so it acts like one piece. It looks sketchy, but I've done way worse!
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 10-31-2019 at 06:22 PM.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast