Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Steed and Update

Quote Originally Posted by Kryptoroxx View Post
    Well the search for a front bumper is over at least. Going to run with nwti for the front and rear. I had been pretty set on Coastal or possibly having a good buddy design one but man the open top kit from nwti is sharp!

And at 650 for the kit and then another 400 or so for the rear, which is pretty sharp too, I have idiot protection front and rear.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    I'm really torn on the suspension which is pretty much shot. From what I've read it happens to the v8 runners in particular and I put the blame on the extra engine weight. Anyway Dobinsons seems to be pretty highly recommended but there's also Sonoran Steel. I respect the aussies for their suspensions but I'm partial to Steve as well. He's got a completely progressive spring setup paired with Bilstein 5100s. I've enjoyed the valving and ride on my 3rd gen and I'm tempted to go with Steve on this setup even though it obviously isn't the 3rd gen which is what got him started. Any input is appreciated

Krypto
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

I like the minimalist look!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob98SR5 View Post
    I like the minimalist look!
    Me too but the biggest thing for me is the bracing for the hoops isn't on the edge. They're firmly planted in the bumper. I'm hoping I can cut through and weld them on both sides to make them stiffer

The suspension is ordered. So much research my head is spinning. I ended up going with Bilstein 6112 and 650# springs up front and then the Bilstein 5160 shocks with their springs in the rear. I looked at the weight of nwti's bumpers and decided that it would be best to stick with a heavier setup since it seems that there are a lot of people under springing their suspension with sagging effects. I should be running on the bottom perch or the next to bottom perch for around 2" all around.

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

You'd have to look at my 4th gen garage post to see what Dobinson parts I ordered but I've been really happy with the kit. I believe there were 5 rear spring options when I ordered mine and I think there are at least two more. The company seems really responsive to the US market and I feel the suspension options available for the 120 platform are so much better than what used to be available for the 3rd gens.

My 3rd gen OME stuff was okay but I wore out springs and didn't have a very heavy setup. The 5100's did me well and at the time were very well priced. My front Dobinson springs are for the V8 and I forget what lift and while they have settled I didn't find that they compressed much at all with my C4Fab bumper and winch. The springs aren't stiff and I've got zero rubbing with a 275 tire.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike View Post
    You'd have to look at my 4th gen garage post to see what Dobinson parts I ordered but I've been really happy with the kit. I believe there were 5 rear spring options when I ordered mine and I think there are at least two more. The company seems really responsive to the US market and I feel the suspension options available for the 120 platform are so much better than what used to be available for the 3rd gens.

My 3rd gen OME stuff was okay but I wore out springs and didn't have a very heavy setup. The 5100's did me well and at the time were very well priced. My front Dobinson springs are for the V8 and I forget what lift and while they have settled I didn't find that they compressed much at all with my C4Fab bumper and winch. The springs aren't stiff and I've got zero rubbing with a 275 tire.
    I went through them and the common consensus is happy customers for sure. I liked how bilstein has been collaborating with toyota for the factory suspensions and ultimately I thought that was the best route I could go. The offerings haven't been out there for a long time and there was a pretty strong sentiment that the 600 springs were too lightweight for the v8. Since I found a vendor that is willing to pair them with 650 springs I thought that would improve things quite a bit. Since I won't be using a lot of preload on the springs I expect that the ride will be forgiving when I get the bumper on there.

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Well I've got some parts to the house and figured out how I'm going to do the suspension in the cold. I found a garage, a small army of heaters, and my neighbor will give me a hand lol.

So at the same time the suspension is going on the internal frame coating will be completed as well as the rubberized undercoating and the fluid film.

Then an alignment.....and then we go for new tires.

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12