Thread: OME 906 rear coils install (tech and measurements)

OME 906 rear coils install (tech and measurements)

So I bought a set of used OME 906 rear coils to help support my upcoming rear bumper w/ tire carrier install. Date on the box said 5/2017, so I'm assuming on the conservative side the PO had them for 2.5 years.

My goal is to keep the stock 99 height and utilize the existing parts (Trekmasters and 32" Bridgestone Revo 3's) while not sagging. Searching around, here's the coils I was considering with spring rates:

• 890 - Approximately 2-2.5" Lift - Medium Load - Stock Weight
    • 906 - Approximately 2" Lift - Heavy Load (330 lbs -GVW)
    • 891 - Approximately 2-2.5" Lift - Heavy Load (Constant 660 Lbs -GVW)

I ended up going w/ the 906's because of the smaller lift and the moderate spring rate.

So I removed my old 99 rear coils (which by the way, are so comfy now b/c they're so nicely worn in) and installed the 906s. Vs. factory fresh specs, here's my measurements from hub center to the little bolt that secures at the apex of the bottom side of the wheel well arch (SR5 style textured black fender flares):

OLD VS NEW (Separated by pipe)
    Rear driver's side (99 coils): 21.5" | Used 906: 23.0"
    Rear passenger side (99 coils): 21.5" | Used 906: 23.0"

So assuming my measurements are correct the rears sagged 0.5" from factory new spec, which is acceptable I guess for 2 year old springs. Hopefully no more sagging beyond this, but I do have Airlift bags inside the coils too.

Before and after pics attached. It should be pretty obvious, but the day time pic is with the 99 rear coils and the night time gas station pic is with the used OME 906 coils.

The OME 906 coils definitely ride a bit stiffer, but not harsh by any means.

I'll let you guys know how they work with the bumper and tire carrier.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I ran the 906's then the 890's (both with AirLift bags) on my 3rd gen after I took out the '99 coils. I didn't have a bumper of the spare hanging off the back but I'd have the back loaded really good quite often. Both sets felt really good but I felt I compressed the softer spring too quickly. I replaced them after 2 years as they had sagged.

I just checkedthe price of OME springs on Wheelers and they are more than double of that I paid for them. Wow.

Looks good Bob! It appears the height will be about right once you get the rear bumper on.

Mike:

Thanks for the valuable feedback. Yeah that's why I went with the 906 vs the 890 just based on other's feedback like yours. What shocks did you use? I find the current ride acceptable and if other's opinions are true, loading out the back will make the ride a bit softer. I'm not hating the ride at all (drove it around locally and the freeway for about 30 mins last night), but I can tell its definitely stiffer than the OEM coils.

Thanks, Ken. That's what I'm hoping for. I'm guessing that (rough math), that the coils will compress about 3/4", which will minimize the forward rake that it has now. I don't think the fwd rake is excessive and personally I'd rather have fwd rake vs negative rake.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob98SR5 View Post
    Mike:

What shocks did you use?
    I am using Tokico Trekmaster shocks with the 890 coils. No complaints other than the fact that the shocks are regular length and limit suspension travel. If I were replacing them today I'd probably go with a Bilstein 5100 or similar.

Yeah the Bilstein 5100s are all the rage it seems these days. I'm going in baby steps with the suspension upgrade as you can see. Party because I want to see what works one piece at a time and also because of funding

Originally Trekmasters until one locked up in the front. At that time I replaced them all with 5100's. I noticed the biggest difference with the rears travel wise. I noticed Sonoran Steel lifts have changed quite a bit but for the money 5100's are hard to beat, price wise at least when I bought them.