Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quad Projector Project

Quad Projector Project

Not exactly new to the projector but I'm not exactly experienced. I've got this project underway while I am installing suspension and finishing up the rust proofing on the 06. Hopefully the rust proofing and suspension will be finished by the end of next week.

I generally drive during evening hours. I work one 2nd shift and for the most part i enjoy it since it carries far less drama than day shifts. Anyway deer are rampant and I've found that if you output enough light not only are they easier to see but if they are blinded well enough they freeze instead of panicking and running into the road.

I will be doing a set of RX-350 projectors in the high beam reflector spot on the inside and a 2.35" projector in the outside projector area. Unlike the stock setup both projectors will have high and low.

The rx projectors have a nice wide beam and the 2.35" are a little more narrow. Both will be running hid from morimoto. I did a set in the 98 4runner and was fairly impressed with the light output. It was much better than the stock setup in the 4runner.

I will be also replacing the drl with something a little brighter in the turn signal input. The turn signals will be handled by switchback halos mounted on the outside of the projectors.

The housing will be a flat black conversion because it's easy to find high temp paint in that particular color and I think it looks great with the projectors.

I've ordered a spare set of oem housings to keep a lid on downtime with the new 4runner and allow me to have an indoor project of sorts. The RX projectors are on their way as well. It would have been neat to incorporate the afs function but I do not believe that I have the ability to make that work since it would need input from the steering wheel to function. Stay tuned for pics and info.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Wow, sounds like a detailed project. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. I slapped drop in fan cooled LEDs into my headlights and have been happy with them. I've got 35w HID bulbs in the stock fog lights which makes them much more useful than stock.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike View Post
    Wow, sounds like a detailed project. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. I slapped drop in fan cooled LEDs into my headlights and have been happy with them. I've got 35w HID bulbs in the stock fog lights which makes them much more useful than stock.
    It is! There are tons of options and tons of different ways to do it. It's almost like designing something from scratch.

I'll be taking pictures and probably some video on this. I am hoping this will be a mostly inside project just because it's getting cold outside lol.

HID is the way to go if you ask me from a safety standpoint. Lots of folks around here have dropped the amazon led stuff in and some have a fairly controlled beam while others are terrible.

Just waiting for the black Friday sales to hit so I can save a little Cashola on everything.

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Welp.......the lights and everything are ordered. Just waiting on the mailman now.

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Cool. I caught up on your progress elsewhere and it looks like things are really coming along. Good job.

Yeah the OEM stuff looks good. I'll give a little more detail here. So the RX350 projectors probably won't fit in the center but I am fairly certain they will fit in the outer location. The d2s 5.0 is actually smaller in length so I am thinking I can squeeze it in with a hole saw. I'm trying to choose colors and I think I'm going to dim the glass just a tiny bit with the vht tint.

Inside the housing will be a satin grey background along with another color I haven't settled on yet. Perhaps a lighter grey because my arb skid plates are a light grey. They are en route too. Not bad for a black friday deal. 500 bones shipped for a little more piece of mind. Just need to get them in and then order ss hardware in button head bolts.

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

I got a box filled with goodies! I honestly haven't even had time to go through them yet but I will update soon as I start to build them. First the house must be decorated or I will join the departed compliments of my wife.

In other kinda related news I went to BattleWagonActual and dropped off the 3rd gen. He's really happy and it was awesome to see him again. I'm a little teary eyed but but at least I know she went to a great home where she will be well cared for.

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Got some pics. They're kind of jumbled but progress has been made.

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Curious about popping the lenses and resealing. I've never done it and I know those housings are new but there seems to be a bunch of goop in there. When you reseal do you remove the sealant and apply more? I've heard of guys with moisture issues just warming and pushing down but it seems lens removal is the best way to do it.

I've got really bad moisture issues in both housings and want to keep the housings.

Just some more pics from today.

I'll edit this in a second with some descriptions of what's going on.

My humble temporary garage. It helps having family close by. At least it's warm.

Initial fit on the d2s projector in the high beam area. Not a bad fit really once you zap some of the plastic out of the way.

Slapped it in and put the cover back on the headlight just to make sure everything cleared. There is plenty of room for this one. I will probably try to keep it as far from the lens as possible just because these things heat up.

I had to hack off a little bit of the rear to get the nut on. I'll cut some more off because I am going to install a keeper ring on the whole thing to keep the headlight from twisting.

Mock test fitting of the rx350 projector. It's quite a bit bigger but it will fit. I would have likely been done with this is I had just gone with 2 d2s projectors but I thought the toyota touch would be nice.

This is the fixed shield for the low beam projector. It's going to grow up and become the mount for the rx350 after my dremel gets done.

After I got the rx350 to sit nicely in the mount area I just slid the top cover on to make sure that I was centered in the "hole"

Just a compairson picture to illustrate how little dremel work has to be done in reality. If I had an entire 8 hour day I could have these painted and knocked out but as my schedule is currently 1 to 2 hours a day is all I can manage if I'm lucky.

Last edited by Kryptoroxx; 12-05-2019 at 05:28 PM.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast