Thread: May 2020 check in

May 2020 check in

Anyone here?

Felt inspired to plug in my password after seeing Avi online wearing a UY shirt as a mask. Sure did bring some old names out of the woodwork. Fun seeing some updated faces of names I hadn't seen in awhile.

I've been able to follow some of you guys online in various places. John's making good head way in the baby department and with his 4th gen. Avi's repainted a car and tool box, bought a Tundra, and hasn't seemed to burn his eye brows off welding. Sean moved the mountains and Adam to the foothills. As far as I can tell, Stover still hasn't killed a turkey but I'm sure still owns a Toyota. Bob's into birding and jewelry and Ken into vans.

So how's everybody doing?

I'm on day 44 of working from home due to the California shelter in place rules. I like home but I also liked my work day. With two school aged kids and my wife and I having full time jobs it's going to be tough to juggle them until at least the Fall, and that seems early. Thankful we're able to work and stay safe, same with my family.

Not much work has been done with the 4Runner lately other than constant little trips. Really the way things have been lately I don't even have time to really do much. It needed brakes the day I bought it and if I had the time I'd jump into it but alas.

Hope everyone is doing well. One of these nights I'll have to dig through some pictures and do some updates. I'll have to figure out how to post up pics again as well.

-Mike

I check in on the forum every now and then. I miss the glory days of UY and the late nights spent in the chat.

I'm still living and working on Orcas Island. We have a limited amount of staff working in the office, and I'm one of those. I'm kinda glad I'm doing that rather than working from home. It's nice to have a little bit of interaction with the few people still in the office. Work has been very busy for me, and I'm thankful to still be working.

I'm trying to figure out what to do for housing. I'm currently renting and have a sweet deal going on, but I'm ready for a place of my own. Getting a piece of land and building my own cabin is the current leading plan, but we'll see how things pan out.

My 3rd gen has about 183k on it now, and runs fantastic. I just put an alternator and new valve cover gaskets and rear cam seals in it, but otherwise, that's the only mechanical work I've done to it in probably six years. I need to get some paint work done to it though.

I've been looking at 5th gens, and wouldn't mind picking one up if I find a good enough deal on 2014+ model. If that were to happen, I'd sell the 3rd gen. Part of me kinda wants to wait for the 6th gen in hopes of the 5th gen dropping in price, but that sounds like it might be two years away yet.

I hope you all are doing good!

Daniel
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Hey Daniel. I see your FB posts every now and again. Have things changed much on the island since lock downs began? I know there aren't many people on the island but I'm sure resources would be an issue if things got out of hand.

Poking around on Google maps there seem to be some nice open areas on the island. Where abouts, what side, do you live on? As for a cabin, would you build your own or build a kit? I've never been to the island but I can't imagine it's easy to go up and start cutting down a bunch of trees to build not to mention it looks like a lot of the island is parks and preserves.

Sadly my the clear coat was beginning to go on my 3rd gen. The paint was in great shape and still had a deep shine but the clear coat on the hood and above the windshield was thin at best. I saw a timeline somewhere online and a 6th gen is in the works. Who knows what the drive train will be or the cost but it's got a lot of competition especially for the buyers that are also looking at pick ups.

Hey Mike. Most of the people on island are freaking out about the whole thing. We've had 14 or 15 confirmed cases in the county, with no fatalities. Starting in a couple weeks, our county will make wearing masks in public mandatory. The local mask and social distancing police are out in force, and if you're caught in the grocery store not wearing a mask, you will probably be shamed on the local rant and rave facebook group. lol. It's dumb. Resources haven't been too scarce yet. The grocery store was low on supplies the first couple weeks, but they've stocked up, and things seem pretty normal now. The ferries are still running their reduced service winter schedule, and most people are trying to stay on island as much as possible. Hotels, AirBnBs, and campgrounds have been closed to hopefully prevent tourists from coming. Many people on the island, including some very good friends of mine, rely on tourism for income, and keeping things closed over the summer is very difficult for a lot of people. Some business have closed, and most others are barely scraping by. I'm blessed to still be working, and my company has not laid anybody off work.

I currently live on the eastern side of the island, about mid way down. I'm about 1/2 mile north of Cascade Lake and the north entrance to Moran State Park. There are some open areas, but most of that is farm land that has been passed on from old generations. Most of the lots for sale are treed, and are typically five acre lots or larger (the county doesn't allow lots subdivided into anything less than that, for the most part). From what I was told, we are the only county in Washington State that will allow a land owner to cut their own trees for their own house. Our Douglas Fir is better than anything that you can buy in a lumbar yard. There is always land for sale out here, and some of it isn't priced too bad. The real cost is excavating (lots of rock) and cost of labor. Installing wells can be very expensive, and most lots require a full septic or partial septic (tank only with community drain field). Some materials, like cement, cost more here. I'm not sure if I would go with a kit or not, but I'm leaning towards just drawing up my own plans. I've got a few designs I've been playing with, but a lot depends on the lay of the lot and whether or not it has views.

My 3rd gen has the clear coat going on the roof, fender flares, door handles, hood scoop insert, and top of bumper. Basically everything plastic, aside from the roof. It's a bummer, but I guess that's what I get for not washing and waxing enough.

From what I gather, the 6th gen release is looking like 2022, although I don't know if that's late 2022 as a 2023 model year, or if it's actually a 2022 model year. I have no clue about drivetrains. That part of it has me really curious. Not too long ago, I was pretty convinced we will see a new NA V6 based on the TT V6 that is in the LS, but after seeing the new Sienna announced with only a hybrid 4 cylinder powertrain, I don't know anymore. Part of me thinks Toyota would still need a new V6 for the 4Runner, Tacoma, overseas spec Land Cruisers, and hybrid drivetrains for Lexus; but I don't know anymore. The GR motors are getting really old now, and it seems like there's got to be something in the works. I think some sort of hybrid will be an option, if not standard on the 4Runner. I also wouldn't be surprised if the TRD Pro line gets more distinguished and may even have the TTV6 from the LS in the Tacoma and 4Runner. I would expect that to be the standard engine on the GX as well. Interesting times ahead.
    Last edited by DHC6twinotter; 05-18-2020 at 10:23 PM.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

I've been rather busy and slowly I'm getting done with the headlights. The only thing left is the dreaded ticker disease all 2uz motors seem to get.

I don't believe hikestly I'm up for installing the headers without a lift. It might get turned over to the shop for install and then I'll take care of the technical bits.

As for the beer virus (dark sense of humor) it allowed me to get the suspension, bumper, and some other tiny items in but I'm keeping true to the comfortable Bambi eliminator commuter build and have sworn off all bedliner products [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

The family is well and Jack (the newest addition) grows at a rate which boggles the mind. At 4 months he measured 26 inches and 15 lbs. Officially an oversized bowling ball. He's brought both joy and a bit of closure to the family which doubles the blessing. I think the most hysterical thing is the look on his face as his sisters carry him. He's already learning to tune things out and just go with the flow. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23].

I'm attempting to get grad school started this year and also find a new house before we blow the doors off this one! Also still finishing off the backyard project. It will be another busy summer.

I hope all is well with you all and that your lives are returning to some semblance of what it was before everything turned upside down. I expect there will be some economic turmoil happening and the difficult part is the size of the rock that has been tossed in the proverbial economic pond. I also hope that your families are safe. I'm not a huge fan of this lock down as some might have noticed on fb but I also know that this disease is not to be taken lightly. Self care, family care, and professional medical care all matter a great deal in defeating this virus.

Glad to hear everyone is still working. I have been working from home since late March when Whistler locked Michigan down. There's a protest going on the capital lawn this Thursday I might attend. Apparently there is a ton of barbers who are going to cut hair on the lawn. I could use a haircut and honestly I'm tired of cutting it myself although I haven't buzzed my skull yet which is a blessing.

Krypto

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Quote Originally Posted by DHC6twinotter View Post
    Hey Mike. Most of the people on island are freaking out about the whole thing. We've had 14 or 15 confirmed cases in the county, with no fatalities.
    Living in a large state with many people it's interesting to hear about whats going on, on an island. The lack of tourism is going to be hard for many industries all over. Ski resorts near us charge an arm and a leg and if there isn't much snow they start wimpering. We got okay snow but it wasn't great. Right as shut downs began it dumped snow and all the resorts were closed. Glad to be working and it seems that those I know that aren't working are doing decent. Things are starting to pick up locally. While I'm not overly afraid of the virus I don't want it, or want to bring it home. We get out quite a bit to varying places and its interesting to see peoples reactions.

There isn't an official mask rule but some establishments have them. We were in a big box store the other day in a neighboring county and the four of us were getting the stink eye from the "locals" for wearing masks. It seems people are pretty much for or way against. Funny though because two months ago they said N95 or nothing and while you're at it don't touch the mask, disinfect, wash your hands for 20 second, etc. Now it's like, whatever. I don't hear the hand washing push nearly as much, people wear a mask but have their nose out, and mostly I see people wearing one but it's just hanging off one ear.

I currently live on the eastern side of the island, about mid way down. I'm about 1/2 mile north of Cascade Lake and the north entrance to Moran State Park. There are some open areas, but most of that is farm land that has been passed on from old generations. Most of the lots for sale are treed, and are typically five acre lots or larger (the county doesn't allow lots subdivided into anything less than that, for the most part). From what I was told, we are the only county in Washington State that will allow a land owner to cut their own trees for their own house. Our Douglas Fir is better than anything that you can buy in a lumbar yard. There is always land for sale out here, and some of it isn't priced too bad. The real cost is excavating (lots of rock) and cost of labor. Installing wells can be very expensive, and most lots require a full septic or partial septic (tank only with community drain field). Some materials, like cement, cost more here. I'm not sure if I would go with a kit or not, but I'm leaning towards just drawing up my own plans. I've got a few designs I've been playing with, but a lot depends on the lay of the lot and whether or not it has views.
    Cool. That's neat about being able to cut your own wood. Seems like a good way to do it considering you're on an island and might have to cut just to fit a house. I've followed several timber frame builds and a few builds where they mill their own "stick houses." Lots of work but no doubt rewarding.

My 3rd gen has the clear coat going on the roof, fender flares, door handles, hood scoop insert, and top of bumper. Basically everything plastic, aside from the roof. It's a bummer, but I guess that's what I get for not washing and waxing enough.
    My plastic pieces is where my clear coat was the first to go. I plasti dipped the trim ring of the hood scoop and it didn't look too bad but it took some work to keep up on the door handles and mirrors. I forget now but I may have wet sanded and waxed. Above the windshield I plasti dipped from the glass to the sun roof. The nice thing about the dark green paint is that it blended decent with the plasti dip. At least better than the oxidized CC.

From what I gather, the 6th gen release is looking like 2022, although I don't know if that's late 2022 as a 2023 model year, or if it's actually a 2022 model year. I have no clue about drivetrains. That part of it has me really curious. Not too long ago, I was pretty convinced we will see a new NA V6 based on the TT V6 that is in the LS, but after seeing the new Sienna announced with only a hybrid 4 cylinder powertrain, I don't know anymore. Part of me thinks Toyota would still need a new V6 for the 4Runner, Tacoma, overseas spec Land Cruisers, and hybrid drivetrains for Lexus; but I don't know anymore. The GR motors are getting really old now, and it seems like there's got to be something in the works. I think some sort of hybrid will be an option, if not standard on the 4Runner. I also wouldn't be surprised if the TRD Pro line gets more distinguished and may even have the TTV6 from the LS in the Tacoma and 4Runner. I would expect that to be the standard engine on the GX as well. Interesting times ahead.
    I imagine new engines with small displacement and decent horsepower. I just wonder how those will put up with heavy vehicles and towing in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryptoroxx View Post
    I've been rather busy and slowly I'm getting done with the headlights. The only thing left is the dreaded ticker disease all 2uz motors seem to get.

I don't believe hikestly I'm up for installing the headers without a lift. It might get turned over to the shop for install and then I'll take care of the technical bits.

As for the beer virus (dark sense of humor) it allowed me to get the suspension, bumper, and some other tiny items in but I'm keeping true to the comfortable Bambi eliminator commuter build and have sworn off all bedliner products [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
    Did you have an issue with the bedliner?

The family is well and Jack (the newest addition) grows at a rate which boggles the mind. At 4 months he measured 26 inches and 15 lbs. Officially an oversized bowling ball. He's brought both joy and a bit of closure to the family which doubles the blessing. I think the most hysterical thing is the look on his face as his sisters carry him. He's already learning to tune things out and just go with the flow. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23].

I'm attempting to get grad school started this year and also find a new house before we blow the doors off this one! Also still finishing off the backyard project. It will be another busy summer.
    Sounds like your son is going to grow up quick in order to gain control. My daughter was 3 when my son was born and he quickly figured out he had to get strong, learn how to push and walk. My daughter had so much fun with him playing baby but at 4 months he had teeth and was huge. By a year he was like a 2 year old.

I hope all is well with you all and that your lives are returning to some semblance of what it was before everything turned upside down. I expect there will be some economic turmoil happening and the difficult part is the size of the rock that has been tossed in the proverbial economic pond. I also hope that your families are safe. I'm not a huge fan of this lock down as some might have noticed on fb but I also know that this disease is not to be taken lightly. Self care, family care, and professional medical care all matter a great deal in defeating this virus.

Glad to hear everyone is still working. I have been working from home since late March when Whistler locked Michigan down. There's a protest going on the capital lawn this Thursday I might attend. Apparently there is a ton of barbers who are going to cut hair on the lawn. I could use a haircut and honestly I'm tired of cutting it myself although I haven't buzzed my skull yet which is a blessing.

Krypto
    Thanks. People are anxious for things to start up here. I'm concerned about a spike but I wonder how prevalent the virus is. Let's hope that with some distancing and hand washing things will stay cool for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike View Post
    Did you have an issue with the bedliner?

Sounds like your son is going to grow up quick in order to gain control. My daughter was 3 when my son was born and he quickly figured out he had to get strong, learn how to push and walk. My daughter had so much fun with him playing baby but at 4 months he had teeth and was huge. By a year he was like a 2 year old.

Thanks. People are anxious for things to start up here. I'm concerned about a spike but I wonder how prevalent the virus is. Let's hope that with some distancing and hand washing things will stay cool for awhile.
    No problems with the bedliner at all actually. I touched it up in a few areas where it was a little thin (first paint job issues) but honestly that was it.

I might do like the fenders and roof in bedliner on this one but I will not be going all out. At the time I didn't think about it and I needed a paint job but I grew out of the truck I could bash around in. This is the family model and subtlety is appreciated.

Big update coming on the lights. I think I might actually finish them soon.

In other news:
    I got water in my basement so I had to turn my muscles towards putting in a sump pump and I decided while I was messing around with plumbing I would install the water softener and redo some of the electrical downstairs. I got it done just in time for the holiday.

Happy Memorial Day! BBQ and be merry. A toast to the men and women who sacrificed all. It is because of them that we can be merry and BBQ so light em up and make the neighbors jealous.

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Sorry, been MIA due to buying a house, moving, fixing up, etc. Still alive though!!!

No automotive projects on the horizon except possibly replacing the steering rack and pump in the 100 before winter. I'll post up when I get there.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    Sorry, been MIA due to buying a house, moving, fixing up, etc. Still alive though!!!

No automotive projects on the horizon except possibly replacing the steering rack and pump in the 100 before winter. I'll post up when I get there.
    That reno is looking pretty good! You've got more talent with tile than I do. I've never tried it but if my Mason skills are anything like my tile skills could be then I'll probably end up hiring someone [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf