Thread: Expedition Overland building a 3rd gen

Expedition Overland building a 3rd gen

UY says 18 people are currently viewing this forum category. For a 20+ year old platform that is pretty good, all things considered. I know the 4th/5th gen, 80 & 100, and especially the GX platforms get most of the love but there are still some 3rd gen fans out there. These days I can count the number of 3rd gen owners I know on one hand which is down substantially from years past.

Poking around the Youtube last night I saw that Clay from XO is going to build up a '96, 3.4l, Limited 4wd as a DD. XO is known for some high quality production videos but I steer away from their live stuff, most any for that matter, because they are lacking in sound/video quality along with a story line but I did sit down for all 50 minutes of this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT90sz3YxXM

I'm interested to see what they do to this one. He gave some plans and I assume it'll have all the goodies from the brands they use in their other builds. I've seen 3rd gens built in every flavor but they are increasingly being done low budget and by "kids". Not saying they need to be high dollar, and nothing against 19 year olds, but Clay will surpass the blue book value of this 3rd gen with a lift and lights.

He mentioned a super charger but said if anything it's a maybe and after everything else, makes sense to me. He's planning on 32" 235's which he says will help but he lives in the mountains so I wonder if he'll change his mind. 32's don't usually make someone re-gear and Clay didn't mention anything other than servicing the diffs but I think they re-gear everything else they have. I know my manual transmission helped with the lack luster get up and go but I never lusted for a SC.

If you can appreciate a 3rd gen watch the video.

Stimulus money and lock down free time didn't do this 3rd gen any favors.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike View Post
    Stimulus money and lock down free time didn't do this 3rd gen any favors.
    Ooooof

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf