Thread: Rear E-Locker 3rd Member - ARP Stud Upgrade

Rear E-Locker 3rd Member - ARP Stud Upgrade

Howdy guys, it's been a long time!

A unique thing that came up for me recently was during "rust mitigation," during which I ended up totally removing and mostly disassembling the rear axle to grind and paint. During this I had several of the 3rd member studs strip and/or break, and I wasn't able to get a quick set of replacement studs from Toyota. Lucky for me however I live near a Summit Racing warehouse, and they have a full selection of ARP studs in stock! I was able to identify a high-strength stud set that is the same length and are "broached" studs meaning they can be installed using an allen wrench.

This is something I hadn't really seen before, so I thought I would document the part numbers I used:

- I replaced both the "short" 37mm and "medium" 42mm Toyota studs with ARP stud set 800-4013. This set includes eight M8x1.25 45mm long broached studs with 12-point nuts and washers. The sharp-eyed of you will notice yes, I needed 9 studs so I kept one of the factory Toyota studs. I'm ok with it ;-)

- I replaced the unusual "long" 111mm Toyota studs (unique to E-Locker differentials) with ARP bolt set 771-1015. This set includes five M8x1.25 12-point flange head bolts (I only needed 2, so I have 3 spares).

I've attached some pictures showing the install. I cleaned the threads in the axle housing with a tap and the studs and bolts worked perfectly. I used blue Loctite to ensure they don't loosen, and torqued them all to the factory torque spec. Look at that stainless steel shininess!

For future reference, the Toyota stud part numbers are below. The torque spec is 18 ft-lbs! There's a typo in the FSM that says 54 ft-lbs or some such nonsense, I crossed out the incorrect number in my FSM and put the correct one.

"Medium" Studs: 90116-08233 S=14 & 14, L=42
    "Short" Studs: 90116-08329 S=17 & 12, L=37
    "Long" E-Locker Studs: 90116-08330 S=17 & 12, L=111
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mastacox; 09-04-2020 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Added torque spec and Toyota part numbers.
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Hey man, long time no see.

I had a broach style in my 3rd gen. When I added the e-locker I had a heck of a time removing the old studs. In my shopping for axle hardware and parts I bought a kit off of Marlin that used a hex wrench from the inside. They aren't as fancy as your ARP hardware but much better and easier to setup than stock.

Thanks for sharing the part numbers. From a quick search I couldn't find the kit I bought but it was 10 years ago.

Yes Trail Gear sells a Stud Eliminator Kit which you can use to replace the studs with bolts that are threaded in from the inside. Problem is, this doesn't replace the long 111mm studs for e-locker axles. I was happy I found some ARP bolts that did the job perfectly.

Overall ARP hardware is an expensive and probably overkill mod compared to Toyota OEM parts, but its stronger and easier to service in the future, so I dig it. At the time I was singularly focused on getting the 4Runner back on the road by any means necessary (had a trip coming up), so $110 in ARP studs was worth it to have what I needed right away.
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.