Thread: Doug Thorley Header install

Doug Thorley Header install

Day one of the header saga.

Needed tools and supplies:

-Swivel ratchets
    Box wrenches
    -Long shaft wrenches (ratcheting or standard end)
    -Impac with swivel, extensions, deep and shallow sockets
    -Swivel head ratchets with deep and standard sockets, shallow might make some things easier but not necessary.
    -Breaker bar, not too long but be careful pulling the studs, I estimate its about 75lbs on them but I will look it up for installation. Warning not to bust the stud off in the head again
    -Torque wrench, for installation....this is a must to seat the gasket properly. Two torturing sessions are necessary. One week apart.
    -2 bottles of your favorite penetrating oil (snapped off bolts in the head is absolutely a terrible idea, you would have to pull the head if you mess it up)
    -Rags, many or all of them
    -jack - not the stocker.
    -2 jack stands of non harbor freight brand
    -good shop light
    02 sensor sockets or 7/8" wrench
    -Torx sockets(I had to order these)
    -2x4 wood(16" but that may differ with your jack, explained later)
    -safety glasses, lots of rust flakes will come out or dirt while you're down there. Don't get that crap in your eyes.

New hardware:
    -Exhaust manifold set (i went with level 8, there is also titanium and also arp studs you can get)
    -Exhaust donut gasket
    -A couple of 2 hole gaskets
    -New exhaust bolts

You need to remove the airbox completely to give you access the needed space.

Completely remove the ypipe first as you will need all the space you can get. Impac comes in handy busting this. Just get the shit out and toss it. I highly recommend the urd ypipe. Its well made and the elimination of flow impediment will assist with the hp/tq gains.

Take the tires and get the runner up on stands. You will be spending a lot of time on your back, knees, crouching, etc. The higher the better but I only lifted mine high enough to get the tires off the ground since I have a lift and larger tires. I use a set of 12t jack stands because of the height.
    Take down the floppy engine splash guards as this is how you will be accessing a lot of the bolts.

Organize your parts! I have a makeshift table that I fill with bolts sitting in or on the parts I have to remove.

Now spray down all of the bolts with ludicrous amounts of penetrating oil. The more time you can get them to soak the better. You can work on the heat guards but you won't be able to remove them till the next step. You also need to spray the engine mounts on the frame side! Those can be a real bear and since they are specialty bolts I'm sure toyota charges a mint for them.

Close down the garage and let them soak overnight. There are some bolts you won't be able to spray easily without getting the heat guards out of the way so do what you can and then shut er down.

Remove the oil dipstick and tube. It bolts to the manifold.

Loosen the engine mount bolts on the driver side or passenger side and remove them on the other. This will give you the flexibility of allowing the opposite side to tilt while the other side lifts.
    You will need a piece of 2x4 about 12 to 16 inches long to get the engine lifted enough to make access easier for the studs.

Now its just down to getting everything off. You can only do one side at a time unless you have 2 jacks and two pieces of wood. Don't twist too hard. If it isn't giving put about 65lbs of pressure on and then spray with more penetrating lube. Patience is your friend. NE types might need 3 or 4 bottles of penetrating lube. Just keep working it with head, oil, until it pops loose without excessive pressure. Not gonna warn you again. You've heard the safety brief 3 times now.

To be continued......

Got started on the headers. Whew its tight spaces in there so hardly any pictures. All I gotta say is pb blaster or deep creep those bolts multiple times. I don't have a huge rust issue but man some of those bolts are tough. The motor mounts and studs need soaking overnight because I ain't busting a stud.

I had to stop today on the second day as the studs underneath needed the heat shields out so I could spray them liberally with deep creep. I took some pictures to illustrate exactly what I'm talking about. Not an easy project to undertake but this is why the shops are charging so much to install.

I'm happy so far with the progress.

Coming soon is the pics and welding of the shorties to the stock cats and reinstallation of everything. Ill break everything down in the coming posts.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Well one is off. Waiting till Saturday for deep well extractors for the last bolt on the driver side. Then hopefully a Sunday weld or perhaps Saturday if I'm lucky. Ill get everything back in Monday with a little luck and feel the extra ponies. These things are a bear to get out.

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Man this was a harrowing install. I have to get some of the posts transferred over but needless to say this was on the level of the 2nd gen tire carrier install on the 3rd gen.

Next weekend I'll check torque on the bolts and make sure everything is ship shape.

The fit is really tight but very good. Definitely can't install with a body lift but it is possible in the garage with a decent 120v welder. I ended up using stainless Flux wire and it laid beautifully. No leaks the first go round and the only thing that I forgot was to get the correct seals for the urd y pipe which should arrive tomorrow. For now though the power feels great and the manifold tick is gone. That was the primary goal but I really can't complain about the nice growl she has now. It definitely sounds like there is a v8 under the hood. I might consider the urd exhaust system and perhaps a custom intake to open everything up but I don't think there is much more to gain without adding a supercharger on top or spending serious cash on throwing 1uz parts inside the block.

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf