Thread: 1st Gen and 3rd Gen resale value

1st Gen and 3rd Gen resale value

Hi guys,
    I was cruising various Internet forums the other day and found a lot of chat about the high prices 1st and 3rd gen 4Runners are commanding on the used market. The page lists the actual sales price of the vehicles and there are 37 3rd gens that have sold for more than $10k. Go here and sort by price "high to low." https://bringatrailer.com/toyota/4runner/

Other than the $69k 5th gen, the 1st and 3rd gens are commanding the highest amounts of money. A stock 3rd gen sold for $43,000 and a surprising number sold for over $17,000. Pretty impressive.

-Ken

I've been thinking about selling my 3rd gen, so this gives me hope! My 5spd Sport with leather might do pretty good on BAT. Not sure what I would buy to replace it though....all Toyota's stuff is getting long-in-the-tooth. Maybe when the next Tundra or 4Runner come out I'd give it more thought.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by DHC6twinotter View Post
    I've been thinking about selling my 3rd gen, so this gives me hope! My 5spd Sport with leather might do pretty good on BAT. Not sure what I would buy to replace it though....all Toyota's stuff is getting long-in-the-tooth. Maybe when the next Tundra or 4Runner come out I'd give it more thought.
    That's the thing...what would I replace it with? Everything feels so boring by comparison. The only thing I'd like to have more than what I have is a diesel Toyota.

This is posted on Toyota's website right now. Did they forget they made a 2nd and 4th gen?

Quote Originally Posted by paddlenbike View Post
    That's the thing...what would I replace it with? Everything feels so boring by comparison. The only thing I'd like to have more than what I have is a diesel Toyota.
    Yeah, I'm not super excited about Toyota's lineup right now. I do like the 5th gen and the Tundra, but a new Tundra is due next year (possibly out in Feb), and a new 4runner is supposedly slated for 2023 model year. Once those come out, I imagine the current models will drop in price. I'm not sure I want to drop 35k on a five year old 5th gen when it doesn't offer a whole lot more features than my 2000 already has. For that kind of money, I'd like at least a 6spd auto and dual-zone climate controls...lol. I'm itching for something a bit newer with more space and less miles, which is why I may still end up with a 5th gen though.

I'd love a 2016+ Land Cruiser. The interior on those is, imo, one of the nicest SUV interiors made. I sure don't want to spend that kind of money though.

As far as diesels go, rumors are that Toyota is working on a new V6 diesel around the 3.3L size. I wouldn't be surprised if this motor makes it to at least the Tundra. Maayyybe the 4Runner/Prado/Tacoma too. I'm actually really curious what sort of engine the next 4Runner would have. By 2023, the GR motors will be 20+ years old, and it seems time for a new generation of engines. Maybe there will be a new NA V6 based on the TT V6 found in the Lexus LS.

All this engine speculation is fun. I'll have to start a new thread on it.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD