Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Better MPGs following MAF cleaning...How often do you clean yours?

Better MPGs following MAF cleaning...How often do you clean yours?

I have completed the following mods (Deckplate, Trueflow filter, ISR mod, Seafoam, and MAF cleaning) and have been tracking my mpg. I have been averaging roughly 17 mpgs (zero out my trip odometer, divide miles/gallons of gas). I did not notice any cumulative effects from all of the mods UNTIL, I cleaned my MAF sensor. It was dirty, and the electronic 'connector' was somewhat loose due to a bug of some sort. Anyway, I have noticed an increase in gas mileage to 18.6 mpgs since the cleaning . This mileage includes same amount of city driving, using ac, and towing a trailer with a riding lawn mower . How often do all of you clean your MAF sensors?
    &quot;In premodern times, the courage of a leader often had to be physical. In the last 500 years it is more often moral. Moral courage is the ability to do what&#39;s right even when it is deeply unpopular, even dangerous. Courage is only found where there is the genuine possibility of loss -- loss of friends, reputation, status, power, possessions or, at the extremes, freedom or life.&quot;<br /><br />~ Mark Joseph

Re: Better MPGs following MAF cleaning...How often do you clean yours?

i have yet to clean mine, that will be this weekend's endevor, or sooner if i can track down some brake cleaner.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

i think i cleaned mine along time ago
    My Truck 98 4runner 4x4 SR5 3.4L 5spd E-Locker <br />Mom 07 Tundra d-cab limited 5.7L 4x4 auto fully loaded<br />mom&#39;s 92 pickup SR5 3.0L 5spd 4x4 <br />Papa 89 Pickup SR5 X-cab 4x4 3.0L 5spd/98 4runner 3.4L auto 4x4 <br />R.I.P 91 4runner SR5 4x4 3.0L 5spd Totaled 5/13/06

I try and clean mine every oil change. I also clean the TB at the same time too.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Will cleaning the throttle body help as well?&#160; What does the throttle body do?&#160; Sorry about my ingorance...
    &quot;In premodern times, the courage of a leader often had to be physical. In the last 500 years it is more often moral. Moral courage is the ability to do what&#39;s right even when it is deeply unpopular, even dangerous. Courage is only found where there is the genuine possibility of loss -- loss of friends, reputation, status, power, possessions or, at the extremes, freedom or life.&quot;<br /><br />~ Mark Joseph

I think cleaning the TB will help with the throttle response if anything and maybe make your truck feel livelier. As for cleaning your MAF, 4x4wire.com has a great write-up:

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/mainte...tenancep5.html

You'll need to scroll down to about the middle of the page.
    &#039;99 Taco PreRunner V6 3.4L auto

Quote Originally Posted by bigwapitijohnny
    Will cleaning the throttle body help as well? What does the throttle body do? Sorry about my ingorance...
    Cleaning the throttle body is really more for idle quality and can help keep your IAC (Idle Air Control valve) from getting the severe carbon buildup that causes very rough idle. There may be some slightly better throttle response (esp at very low throttle plate angles) hence it might feel a bit peppier from a dead start. I do it quite often but it's definately something to do if you have not done it in a while.

HINT: When your done cleaning, try and get the truck started ASAP and certainly before the cleaner dries (helps get the carbon out of the TB area). Start the truck initially with your foot completely to the floor and let up once the engine has caught.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

i tried spraying throttle body cleaner (carb\injector) into the inake while the truck was running and when i took off the main air tube and the truck kept shutting off.. i am assuming bc of the maf sensor? i unhooked the tube at the TB. what can i do to keep the truck running while spraying cleaner down the TB?
    2002 Tacoma 4x4 3.4 v6 4-Door <br />96k miles and counting!

Quote Originally Posted by mkgarrison5
    i tried spraying throttle body cleaner (carb\injector) into the inake while the truck was running and when i took off the main air tube and the truck kept shutting off.. i am assuming bc of the maf sensor? i unhooked the tube at the TB. what can i do to keep the truck running while spraying cleaner down the TB?
    Yep, you can't unplug the intake while the vehicle is running or it will shut off almost immediately (you can unplug the intake anywhere except in front of the MAF...ie essentially just the airbox) nor do you need to. The TB cleaning needs to be done with the vehicle OFF, then reconnect the intake tube and fire up the motor to clear it all out. I use an old toothbrush and it helps to have someone in the truck floor the gas pedal (again, engine OFF) so you can use the toothbrush on the TB bore to really scrub it clean. Keep the toothbrush soaked with carb cleaner and the carbon will just dissolve leaving behind a nice shiny throttle body bore. Don't forget to clean the throttle plate as well.

yeah i left the truck off and unhooked the main air tube and used a cloth and TB cleaner and did what i could with that and sprayed a generous amount in the TB itself, cranked the truck up and let it suck the rest through the motor.. ill use a toothbrush next time.. how much TB clean can you spray in there without messing something up??
    2002 Tacoma 4x4 3.4 v6 4-Door <br />96k miles and counting!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast