Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Better MPGs following MAF cleaning...How often do you clean yours?

Re: Better MPGs following MAF cleaning...How often do you clean yours?

Quote Originally Posted by mkgarrison5
    yeah i left the truck off and unhooked the main air tube and used a cloth and TB cleaner and did what i could with that and sprayed a generous amount in the TB itself, cranked the truck up and let it suck the rest through the motor.. ill use a toothbrush next time.. how much TB clean can you spray in there without messing something up??
    You probably don't need to unload an entire can in there, but you could do 1/2 can no problem and a toothbrush works a heck of alot better than a rag.....try it next time and you'll see what I mean. After using the toothbrush, blast the TB with cleaner one last time to wash any of the residual carbon into the intake. Just remember to hold your foot completely to the floor when starting the motor, then let off after it catches and starts to rev high. Keep the RPMs about 2500-3000 for about 1 minute to burn off any remaining cleaner.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

ok sounds good.... is it possible to spray into the pcv valve while the engine is running to allow the motor to suck up the cleaner?? just curious.. thanks mtl

-side note on the 05 corolla, i pulled the pcv valve hose off the pcv valve to suck up some seafoam and the motor kept shutting off. i am assuming to unscrew the pcv valve itself and seafoam it that way?? thanks!

mike
    2002 Tacoma 4x4 3.4 v6 4-Door <br />96k miles and counting!

ok sounds good.... is it possible to spray into the pcv valve while the engine is running to allow the motor to suck up the cleaner?? just curious.. thanks mtl
    Yes, you can do that if you want to.....keep the RPMs up or the motor will stall.

-side note on the 05 corolla, i pulled the pcv valve hose off the pcv valve to suck up some seafoam and the motor kept shutting off. i am assuming to unscrew the pcv valve itself and seafoam it that way?? thanks!
    Same as above, the PCV line creates a HUGE vacuum leak so keep the RPMs up or find a smaller vacuum line to use.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

when i pull my taco's pcv out it doesnt stall.... when i pull the hose out of the pcv valve itself on the corolla it stalls imediately even before i can get seafoam in it

i just changed my plugs, and will do the MAF next week to see which helps my MPG the most.
    ill post up what i see.
    [quote author=Euphorickaty80 link=topic=575.msg3747#msg3747 date=1175627780]<br />I was alot of fun to build.[/quote]

Weird thing...I cleaned my MAF and drove it about a tank or so and noticed worse gas mileage. I only got about 220 miles on my tank versus my usual 240. However, I did notice a performance gain...maybe it's just my imagination but it seems to be better on the throttle side of things.

Fink

P.S. - Quick question for ya Jamie, I noticed that there are two kinds of CRC Brakleen...Chlorinated (red can) and Non-Chlorinated (green can). I used the red/Chlorinated one...is that a problem?

i used the red can with no problem.. it helped my gas mileage along with new plugs, new fuel filter and seafoam.. went up 2-3 mpg.. did you reset your computer? anytime you clean sensors or replace them you should disconnect the negative terminal of your battery for a few minutes for it to reset and give it time to readjust.. imo

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4Fink
    Quick question for ya Jamie, I noticed that there are two kinds of CRC Brakleen...Chlorinated (red can) and Non-Chlorinated (green can). I used the red/Chlorinated one...is that a problem?
    The chlorinated solvents use chemicals like Methylene Chloride aka Dichloromethane (MeCl, often used as a paint stripper), Perchloroethylene aka Tetrachloroethylene (Perc, often used as dry cleaning fluid) and Trichloroethylene (TCE) which are considered environmental hazards to groundwater and are suspected carcinogens.

Non-chlorinated solvents use Toluene, Xylene and Acetone which while very hazardous (and VERY flammable) are apparently exempt form VOC regulations (for now).

So to answer your question, no it doesn't matter since you're only giving it a small exposure time (enough to clean the wires then air dry). Fink, did you by chance pull the negative battery terminal after you cleaned the MAF? If you did not, you should or it will take some time for the ECU to adjust (hence the worse gas mileage and better throttle response). Even when you do it, it takes a few miles for the ECU to relearn.

Jamie, I had the negative battery terminal disconnected the entire time I was cleaning the MAF. It looks like my mileage may be returning to normal now, I may have just driven with my foot in it a little bit more this last tank.

If it doesn't get any better this tank I'll pull the terminal again and see if that helps.

Thanks for answering my question about the two different cans, a wealth of knowledge to say the least.

Fink

I think the ECU is just in relearn mode which will tend to richen the mixture until it gets dialed in.
    This will give you slightly worse gas mileage but a little more "seat of the pants" fun.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast