Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rust Removal Recomendations

Rust Removal Recomendations

I have about 8 old cross cut saws that are rusty and need to be cleaned before we file them and get them ready for competition.

I have sanded one for about 6 hours. It is a mess, a pain and just bores me.

I would really like to find something to take the rust off chemically, then spray it down and only have a little touch up with sandpaper.

What do y'all use? I do not have a blasting cabinet big enough, I do not want to spend another 6 hours per saw.

Thanks.
    2k 4Runner&nbsp; Daily Driver<br />Long travel front<br />Longer travel rear<br />Diamonds, Foxes, Alcans and MT/R&#039;s <br />Goes fast and slow

Re: Rust Removal Recomendations

Isn't there some way you can put it in some kind of water and "something" mixture and hook a battery to it and it will take the rust off. I want to say the "something" is baking soda but don't quote me on it. I actually saw them do it on one extreme4x4 on tv.
    My signature

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer
    Isn't there some way you can put it in some kind of water and "something" mixture and hook a battery to it and it will take the rust off. I want to say the "something" is baking soda but don't quote me on it. I actually saw them do it on one extreme4x4 on tv.
    Yep, you're exactly right!

Here's some good writeups to follow:
    http://www3.telus.net/public/aschoep...lyticrust.html
    http://www.davidbradley.net/ERR.html
    http://www.rustyiron.com/engines/ele...sis/index.html

It'll beat the heck out of sanding for hours!
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

It is called electrolysis. It works very well.
    -I love you.-<br /><br />1987 BigWheel

Lance<br />2001 4Runner Limited 4X4 (Sonoran Steel Stocker)<br />315/75R16 MT/Rs | MT Classic IIs | Dual ARBs/4.88s | (F) 5125/Tundra Coils (R) 5125/LC Coils | 4Crawler 1.5&quot; BL | Aisin Manual Hubs | Slee Sliders | Sonoran Steel Rear Bumper | TJM T-15 w/ Warn M8000

Thanks guys.

The anal jelly looks the easiest unless someone has a cheap idea for a plastic tub that would hold a 7 foot long saw...
    2k 4Runner&nbsp; Daily Driver<br />Long travel front<br />Longer travel rear<br />Diamonds, Foxes, Alcans and MT/R&#039;s <br />Goes fast and slow

just build a box out of plywood and put a tarp in it to hold water.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheese
    The anal jelly...
    Just because it's "Naval" doesn't mean it's for "anal".
    Lance<br />2001 4Runner Limited 4X4 (Sonoran Steel Stocker)<br />315/75R16 MT/Rs | MT Classic IIs | Dual ARBs/4.88s | (F) 5125/Tundra Coils (R) 5125/LC Coils | 4Crawler 1.5&quot; BL | Aisin Manual Hubs | Slee Sliders | Sonoran Steel Rear Bumper | TJM T-15 w/ Warn M8000

Quote Originally Posted by garrett
    just build a box out of plywood and put a tarp in it to hold water.
    Yep, that's what I'd do. Make a very shallow box out of plywood and lay in some 4-6 mil plastic (double it over a few times to prevent accidental punctures). The use a long steel bar to lay along side the saw blade in the tank you just built. Set your battery charger and leave it to do its work. You'll need to flip the blade since the side lying on the plastic won't see as much exposure.

Naval jelly may be a little easier and you can just do small sections at a time. Not sure on cost either. Show us some pics when you do it......it would be nice to see the before and after shots.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast