Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tire Tread Problem

Re: Tire Tread Problem

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74
    it could be both, ever see what 3 degrees of toe out can do to a set of tires in a week?
    I have and it ain't pretty.

It's possible the tires were cupping or scalloping the outside edge as well, but since he's lifted the most common problem is an improper toe setting. Any worn component that connects the wheel to the car (ball joint, wheel bearing, shock absorber, springs, bushings, etc.) can cause scalloping, but in this case it seems like toe was the culprit given the before/after alignment specs.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Jamie is exactly right.

It was without a doubt my toe. The guy showed me where I hit it on the rock and it was pretty far off, it went straight threw the skidplate.

Thanks for all the help guys, although...something that's stuck in my head keeps thinking maybe the tires are already messed up since I drove them with the bad alignment...yeah, I'm paranoid.

Fink

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4Fink
    Thanks for all the help guys, although...something that's stuck in my head keeps thinking maybe the tires are already messed up since I drove them with the bad alignment...yeah, I'm paranoid.

If you're worried, do like I said and rotate them front to back and they'll wear perfect again within a few weeks of driving. Are your current tires feathered or have the sawtooth wear pattern on them too?
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

They're brand new so it's hard to tell...just from looking at it I can't tell and I guess I'm not THAT worried since I only drove it for 96 miles with the messed up alignment. If I just go out there and switch the front tires to the back and the back to the front then that would eliminate all possibility of a problem caused by the bad alignment.

Thanks Jamie,

Fink

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12