Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tire Tread Problem

Tire Tread Problem

Hey guys,

After selling my old BFG's the guy that bought them from me noticed that the outer lugs of the tires were worn really unevenly.

Every other lug is shorter than the one in front of it. It would go...thick, not as thick, thick, not as thick over the entire tread.

Would that be an alignment issue or something else? I'm going tomorrow to get my alignment checked but I was wondering if there was anything else I should think about when trying to figure out what is causing it.

I really wanna get this checked out A.S.A.P. so that it doesn't any uneven wear on my new meats. I've only had em on for about 100 miles so nothing bad could have happened yet.

If you guys know of anything else that might cause that let me know so I cna get it taken care of as soon as possible.

Thanks guys,

Fink

Re: Tire Tread Problem

does your steering wheel shake when you drive it? if it does and it gets worse the faster you go then it could be alignment or tire balance.
    just because you&#39;ve always done it that way doesn&#39;t mean it&#39;s not incredibly stupid.<br /><br />1999 4x4 SR5 4runner<br />http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php?option=com_smf&amp;Itemid=26&amp;topic=1 081.0

Not at all...the car tracks perfectly straight and rides smooth as glass.

Shocks only have about 25-30k on em.

Fink

I talked to Cory he doesn't work tomorrow but he will be there saturday and said he would love to help you out.

Well Cory wont be in until saturday he has Friday off but anyhow the other guy up there does a great job so if you want to take it to him he will set you up. $64 I think for everything.

Well I got it aligned and we're back in business.

A while back I came down hard on a rock or something (I really don't remember) and punched a hole through my skidplate. Just past that hole is the adjustment for my toe. Well...it was WAY out of whack.

Here are the numbers...

BEFORE

Left Front:
    Camber = 0.3
    Caster = 2.5

Toe = -0.28

Right Front:
    Camber = -0.3
    Caster = 2.6

Toe = -0.41

Total Toe = -0.69
    Steer Ahead = 0.07

AFTER

Left Front:
    Camber = 0.3
    Caster = 2.5
    Toe = 0.11

Right Front:
    Camber = 0.2
    Caster = 2.5
    Toe = 0.10

Total Toe = 0.20
    Steer Ahead = 0.00

So now I'm tracking perfectly straight and my tires should wear just fine. A huge relief. I asked the tire guy and he said I've only put about 96 miles on the new tires before the alignment so it wouldn't even have affected them yet, whew.

So...moral of this story, 4x4Fink needs to get an alignment more often!

Fink

I missed this before but as soon as I saw you talking about the sawtooth on the outside edge of the tires, to me that immedaitely says your toe is off (so it was nice to read at the end that my hunch was correct). I had the same thing happen on mine when I waited too long to get an alignment after my lift was done. To get rid of it (if you still had the tires), you need to rotate them front to back and they'll wear normally again over time.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

its feathering, bad toe, and or lack of rotations

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74
    its feathering, bad toe, and or lack of rotations
    The sawtooth wear pattern on the edge of the fronts is a toe problem. The front outside edge evenly worn (slightly rounded off) more than the rest of the tire is usually a lack of rotation. If the inside or outside edge is very heavily worn (ie more than just the outside edge rounding off), you could have a camber issue.

The one on the left is a toe issue, the right is a camber issue:

Tire with 25K miles with a bad alignment (camber problem)
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

it could be both, ever see what 3 degrees of toe out can do to a set of tires in a week?

his problem mentioned above is eitehr feathering, bad toe, and/or lack of rotations

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast