Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I will be gone for a little

I will be gone for a little

Welp...i finally moved into my apartment and in the process, my computer decided to kick it. So far, the power supply went bad, replaced it, then I think the mobo went bad. Next up is the chip...if that goes down, im going to quit teh internets.

I am trying to get this replaces asap, but between finals, moving and no job...its going to take a while. Ill be on time to time when I am at school. Sorry guys!

Matt
    1996 4runner SR5- Bunch of goodies that make it clunck<br /><br />2008 Acura TL

Re: I will be gone for a little

Alright guys, I got my new mobo in and it still wont power up. It doesnt even boot. I replaced the power supply, so I know its not that. Anyone know aht it might be? Bad processor maybe?

Ive replaced the MOBO and powersupply. I guess next is a new processor?

I am running an AMD 2200xp+

How many sticks of RAM are you running?
    If just one, try another. If you have more than one, try each one seperately.
    If possible try the sticks in another machine just to eliminate them as a possible cause.

Also unplug all the peripherals (HDs, CDROMs, floppys, anything in the USB ports, etc) attached to the MB while attempting to boot. If you can find another machine to test the AMD chip that would help to narrow down the processor as a cause or not as well. Does the machine beep at all when you're trying to boot?
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

I am running two sticks of 256 so the likely hood that both sticks of RAM went bad is very slim. I tired taking them out one by one and using different slots and no dice. I unplugged everything already and nothing is working. It doesnt even get a chance to go BEEP.

When I hit the power button on the front of the computer, my antec case fan starts up for just a second then turns off. It seems to me that something isnt telling something else to power on.

Thanks Jamie for the Help, if you have any more advice, let me know!

I searched for my chip and found that I can buy a new one for only 50...which is pretty cheap in my opintion, but then again, I am paying for something that is 5 years old and wont be able to support Vista when we all have teo make that change.

Finals Week + No computer = no fun!

Does the new MOBO have an integral bios battery? or is it separate? I've seen bios get blanked by bad/old batteries causing problems.

Are there jumpers on the MOBO? Maybe a wrong setting? (processor voltage?)
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

I cant even get into BIOS.

The new MOBO has a bios battery on the board itself. I can remove it, which I did, and put it back in with the jumper settings changed to clear.

I switched the jumper setting back to normal and no dice.

This is so frustrating...I just moved into a new apt and now have no innernets!

How do I check the processor voltage when it wont load up? I wonder if the new(er) power supply went bad too? I forgot to mention, the old powersupply we turn on and off, so basically sending surges throughout the computer. I wonder if this could have fried my processor?

Ok, maybe it might help if you gave us the actual mobo make/model so we could look at a PDF of the manual. The fact that you get no beep or anything is not a good sign (even low level issues like a bad processor will usually beep.....no beep usually signals a power supply or system board problem ) because it sounds like your motherboard isn't even getting proper power to boot. I'd break out a DMM and start probing the ATX connector with the board on and see what the voltages are on each of the connector pins while under load.

Here's a pic of what voltages you should see:

Here's some good writeups on testing the power supply:
    http://www.bluemax.net/techtips/ATXP...pplyWiring.htm
    http://www.duxcw.com/faq/ps/ps4.htm

You can also get a simple tester device like this:
    http://www.extensiontech.net/reviews/ad/coolmax/ps-101/

It almost sounds like the motherboard is getting grounded out somehow (perhaps on the case?). I'd try doing a bench test (motherboard and PS on a wood surface) and see if it will boot. If it does then you've got your answer, if not you may need to try the PS with another computer and verify it works. When doing testing like this it really helps to have another computer to test parts in one by one and eliminate the problem that way.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Jamie,

Sorry I have an Asus A7n8x deluxe running a socket A AMD2200xp+.

My friend also has a socket A processor so I will be able to check on it this weekend. I put a new mobo in a different case with a new powersupply and still did not work. I am convinced that it is the processor....but I will double check before I order another one. Thank god they are only 50$ shipped!

man, you guys sure are smart about this kind of stuff i dont even know what the f' you guys are saying

Try removing a few of the screws holding the MOBO to the case (mainly the ones in the center). I think Jamie's on to something re: the MOBO getting grounded.
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast