Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I will be gone for a little

Re: I will be gone for a little

For everyone helping, here's what the mobo looks like:
    http://www.digital-daily.com/motherboard/asus-a7n8x/

and here's the manual:
    http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/...1859_a7n8x.pdf

Seriously, take the entire motherboard out of the case, put it on a wooden table, piece of 1/4" plywood, or even the mobo box itself and bench test it. I used to do that all the time when I ran into issues like what you're having. That is the best true test because you eliminate accidental grounds. It may still be the processor but like I said, 9 times out of 10 it will beep when the processor is toast since the mobo can still go through it's self check and then gives you an error beep (it will do the same thing if the RAM is bad). I would also double and triple check that all your jumpers are set correctly according to what you've got set up.

Here's some examples of what I'm talking about:

All you want to have running is the PS, Mobo, Processor, RAM, video card. Once you have that running and can get to the BIOS, then add more stuff (HD, CDROM, etc) until it the entire system benches fine. Once you have that totally running, then install it all in the case and you should be good. Also be sure with the case that all the mounting points all go to screw holes. I've seen cases where Mobo's have different configs and some may have screw holes where others do not and vice versa. If there is a mount with no screw hole, it will ground right into the back of the board and short out the voltage and usually prevent any hope of posting until it is fixed. If you can't even get it to post on the bench and the RAM tested fine, then I'd try getting a new processor. If the mobo won't post with good RAM and a new processor, then exchange that mobo for another one.

When you try and post are there any red/green LEDs lit up on the mobo?
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

I took the mobo out and powered it on without it in the case and it did the same. I think it is getting clean power because the Green LED on the MOBO lights up. I am going to be able to swap some parts out, ie: processsor and RAM this weekend.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to mess with it until then, finals are really killing me my last semester.

Thanks Jamie for all your help!! I will let you know asap how it goes
    1996 4runner SR5- Bunch of goodies that make it clunck<br /><br />2008 Acura TL

well guys....

go figure. It was my power supply that went bad. I went through 2 of them in a row...which is very odd.

nevertheless, my computer is back and running so that means im baackkk.

thanks to all the helped me out...at least i learned a lot!
    1996 4runner SR5- Bunch of goodies that make it clunck<br /><br />2008 Acura TL

good to hear.

When troubleshooting these words should never come out. And you can replace power supply with anything else.

"I replaced the power supply, so I know its not that."

When it comes to electronics it doesnt matter how new something is. It can always be bad.
    -Bryan- 99 Sr5

Matt...I gotta Asus A7N266-VM/AA with 1 512 and 1 256 stick of memory in mine and never had any issues for years. My power supply does make a loud noise at startup though. If Mine goes out soon, this will be a helpful thread indeed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fustercluck View Post
    I like sporking from behind.&nbsp; &nbsp;

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12