Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: $50 Craigslist Score: Toyota Hood w/scoop! (pics inside)

$50 Craigslist Score: Toyota Hood w/scoop! (pics inside)

I've been kicking this one around for a week since I saw it on there. Today I decided to pull the trigger and call the guy to see if he still had it. He listed it for $60 and I offered him $50. He agreed. It's an OEM hood with scoop that was damaged by a barbed wire fence at some point. The scratches aren't bad and there is only one barely detectable dent towards the front. It's very hard to see and not even worth bondo-ing.

I made a promise to myself that if I bought this hood, I would make the scoop functional. So that's exactly what I've done. So far I have removed the underhood insulation, sanded the hood, and made the scoop functional. My next step is to paint the hood black. Yes, my rig is green, but I think black is going to look cool and be much cheaper than spending a wad of cash to have it color-matched at a paint place. My plan is to paint it matte black. I am also going to look into having it Line-X'd. Not sure about that one though.

Enough talk, here are the pics. I will update the thread as I get this finished and on my rig.

Re: $50 Craigslist Score: Toyota Hood w/scoop! (pics inside)

schwing!

excellent idea, i would do the same if i came across that. are you planning on leaving the scoop the way you've put it or are more plans in the works as far as its functionality?
    -David<br /><br />2000 Taco TRD Access Cab<br />v6 | 5spd | 33&quot; BFG A/Ts on 15x10 alloy | 33&quot; PC Mud Terrains on 15x8 black steel | 3&quot; Susp. Lift | OME 882&#039;s | Bilstein HD struts front | Rancho shocks rear | Chevy leaf spring swap | Custom sliders | Custom front bumper |3&quot; BL | U-Bolt flip | Flowmaster exhaust | Uniden CB | Firestik II | Dual Hella Black Magic&#039;s | Maglite Mod | Kenwood Speakers | Grey Wire Mod | Aux. Reverse Lights | Deckplate Mod<br /><br />Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by drguitarum2005
    are you planning on leaving the scoop the way you've put it or are more plans in the works as far as its functionality?
    Good question. I am going to try and figure something out so I can block the scoop from the inside when it's raining. Some kind of block off plate with studs and wingnuts or something. We don't get much rain here in Phoenix, but when it does rain, it usually comes down in buckets. Another idea is to devise some kind of tray with drains and tubes that would collect the water and make it flow out of the engine compartment, while still keeping airflow coming in. I like the block-off plate idea personally, so that's probably what I am going to do. Good stuff!

nice find,, i cut out my cup years ago, just cutting the cup out, adds like 50 HP

you dont need to block out the rain, mines been open for about years, unless you want to keep the engine bay clean.
    Buy cool Wheeling shirts: http://www.cafepress.com/Rix_Designz

Good to know Ric, thanks. I've been really scrounging to reduce underhood temps as my ping problem is back in full force. I figure this could only help. Just yesterday I did the coolant bypass mod and that seemed to help a tad. Now I am looking in to getting a phenolic spacer kit going for the 3.4 in order to thermally isolate parts from one another, such as the throttle body from the supercharger (or intake manifold) and the supercharger (or intake manifold) from the intake plenum between the heads. The Nissan guys are showing awesome results with this. Generally speaking, the cooler, the better.

Sorry, that's just my justification for making the scoop functional (the long-winded version that is!)

Man I wish I could find something like that. I have been looking for a hood scoop forever they are just a little to expensive. Sweet find.

Nice find! ARe you worried about the flat black soaking up more heat?

After looking at pics of your rig and the black you have done on the grill and bumper, it would be cool if you had the center section black and had the outer sections color matched green. If you have any community colleges with auto body classes, you might be able to get a student to do it for a project and it would look bad arse! The Black would flow straight onto your black grille.
    My signature

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer
    Nice find! ARe you worried about the flat black soaking up more heat?

After looking at pics of your rig and the black you have done on the grill and bumper, it would be cool if you had the center section black and had the outer sections color matched green. If you have any community colleges with auto body classes, you might be able to get a student to do it for a project and it would look bad arse! The Black would flow straight onto your black grille.
    The dark green already soaks up enough darn heat. The black will probably be about the same. (Side note: I had a white 96 donor rig that I drove for a day or two and the temps were 15 degrees cooler vs. my dark green 4Runner, I kid you not!).

Cool idea about making the black flow up the hood like that. Unfortunately I just don't think I want to spend a bunch of money on this. I am leaning towards Line-X right now, depending on the price (I will find out tomorrow). I will just end up rattle-canning it if every other alternative is too much money. Sounds cheesy in a way, but I have gotten pretty good with a rattle can over the years and matte black is pretty easy to spray. We'll see.

How hard would it be to try to color match it yourself? Do they sell the color matched paint in rattle can. I forgot that your dark green would be just as bad as flat black, although I think linex would be even hotter because it would be another layer of insulation holding the heat in plus soaking it up. I hear you about the $$$ I just thought of the college thing because I am taking a welding class at the local CC and those paint guys are always looking for something to paint. They must like the fumes. I can't wait to see pics. Did you do anything special to prep your chrome bumpers for paint? I was thinking of doing my front till I have one made.
    My signature

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast