Thread: Attention all members with winches...

Attention all members with winches...

I am trying to get some information regarding the pros and cons of a fixed winch versus one that is removeable. Specifically, I plan on getting a custom bumper made this summer (Armorology), and I am trying to decide what would be the better option. The Warn multi mount system is something that I was thinking about using (I would love to have robinhood4x4's setup , however...back to reality). Anyway, if I could get all of the experts to chime in on this regarding fixed/removeable and why, it would be GREATLY appreciated . Thanks in advance!

Regards,

BWJ
    &quot;In premodern times, the courage of a leader often had to be physical. In the last 500 years it is more often moral. Moral courage is the ability to do what&#39;s right even when it is deeply unpopular, even dangerous. Courage is only found where there is the genuine possibility of loss -- loss of friends, reputation, status, power, possessions or, at the extremes, freedom or life.&quot;<br /><br />~ Mark Joseph

Re: Attention all members with winches...

My vote: put a winch on the front and be done.

Quote Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
    My vote: put a winch on the front and be done.

what is your reasoning behind that vote? just curious to hear your thoughts
    -David<br /><br />2000 Taco TRD Access Cab<br />v6 | 5spd | 33&quot; BFG A/Ts on 15x10 alloy | 33&quot; PC Mud Terrains on 15x8 black steel | 3&quot; Susp. Lift | OME 882&#039;s | Bilstein HD struts front | Rancho shocks rear | Chevy leaf spring swap | Custom sliders | Custom front bumper |3&quot; BL | U-Bolt flip | Flowmaster exhaust | Uniden CB | Firestik II | Dual Hella Black Magic&#039;s | Maglite Mod | Kenwood Speakers | Grey Wire Mod | Aux. Reverse Lights | Deckplate Mod<br /><br />Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by drguitarum2005
    what is your reasoning behind that vote? just curious to hear your thoughts
    Everyone that I've seen "bust" something on the trail was winching in reverse...although that was with a winch on the front...if the vehicles they were trying to help had had a winch on the front then they could have winched themselves up and out.

Someone will always have an exception I'm sure, but as a general rule of thumb for your average wheeler, a winch up front and a proper recovery tool package will be more than sufficient.

Hi John, I got your PM, but have been pretty busy lately. The cons of a normal multimount are:

Poor approach angle
    Winch is exposed to bashing
    Arguably weaker in side pulls (that's what the internet rumors say anyway)
    More expensive because of the extra wire that's needed and the connectors.

The obvious pro is the ability to pull backwards. This helped my friend out greatly when we were stuck in the snow.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

what about having front and back receivers and just keeping the winch inside until needed? the only cons i can think of are the weaker side pulls and putting the winch in if youre stuck where you cant get to the receiver
    -David<br /><br />2000 Taco TRD Access Cab<br />v6 | 5spd | 33&quot; BFG A/Ts on 15x10 alloy | 33&quot; PC Mud Terrains on 15x8 black steel | 3&quot; Susp. Lift | OME 882&#039;s | Bilstein HD struts front | Rancho shocks rear | Chevy leaf spring swap | Custom sliders | Custom front bumper |3&quot; BL | U-Bolt flip | Flowmaster exhaust | Uniden CB | Firestik II | Dual Hella Black Magic&#039;s | Maglite Mod | Kenwood Speakers | Grey Wire Mod | Aux. Reverse Lights | Deckplate Mod<br /><br />Pictures

Um winch forward and hi-lift backwards.

Aaron
    I can, because I don&#039;t know that I can&#039;t.

Do any of you understand how big and heavy a winch in a cradle like this is?

I wheel, a lot, on hard rock trails. I gripe about pulling my winch controller out and trying to hook it up early before anyone needs a string. Some times it is really hard to get that SOB plugged in, let alone humping a winch around.

I have never been in a situation where being able to self-extract backward was the only way to get out. There is always another truck around.

Hoodlum did it right, nice clean install. The novelty is not worth it for me.

And you do understand after this post, I will have doomed myself, right?
    2k 4Runner&nbsp; Daily Driver<br />Long travel front<br />Longer travel rear<br />Diamonds, Foxes, Alcans and MT/R&#039;s <br />Goes fast and slow