Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TRD locker ?'s

TRD locker ?'s

well im getting sick of my rear lockright being that i have a 5spd its kinda aggrivating around corners. i can get my hands on a trd locker relatively cheap but i have a few questions about this before i do it.
    do i need all the fancy trd locker computer junk or can i just use the stock diff lock switch and wire it to the locker like a normal switch?
    i vaguely remember hearing about being able to use a cable for the trd locker. some kind of kit or something, im not sure. im sure someone will know though.
    1998 4runner SAS<br />1997 Volvo 850<br /><br />www.toyotacrawlers.com

Re: TRD locker ?'s

you can jsut wire it up to a switch, many peopel do this.... i think you will need to make some modifications to the housing of your vehicle, but it shouldn't be bad....

im going to switch the entire stock housing with the trd housing with all its guts. i dont want to deal with modifing housings to much bs for me.

that works then......

yup you can jsut wire it up with a regular switch

you will either have to modify the axle housing, or swap an axle, its not just a question of swapping in the elocked 3rd member.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    you will either have to modify the axle housing, or swap an axle, its not just a question of swapping in the elocked 3rd member.

he already said he is going to swap in the whole axle

out of curiosity, how does swapping in the entire axle work but just the third not work?
    -David<br /><br />2000 Taco TRD Access Cab<br />v6 | 5spd | 33&quot; BFG A/Ts on 15x10 alloy | 33&quot; PC Mud Terrains on 15x8 black steel | 3&quot; Susp. Lift | OME 882&#039;s | Bilstein HD struts front | Rancho shocks rear | Chevy leaf spring swap | Custom sliders | Custom front bumper |3&quot; BL | U-Bolt flip | Flowmaster exhaust | Uniden CB | Firestik II | Dual Hella Black Magic&#039;s | Maglite Mod | Kenwood Speakers | Grey Wire Mod | Aux. Reverse Lights | Deckplate Mod<br /><br />Pictures

dr,

he means finding a e-locker that is already mated to an axle for an elocker. so old axle out and new axle (w/ elocker) in.

bob

Quote Originally Posted by drguitarum2005
    out of curiosity, how does swapping in the entire axle work but just the third not work?
    first i need one from a 4runner so it has control arm brackets. then the holes for studs on the no trd rear end are evenly spread around in a circle. on a trd locked rear end 1 or 2 or the studs on the driver side are in different spots to accomidate the electric guts of the locker. to swap an elocker 3rd you must drill a couple new holes, tap them, hopefully the 3rd's ring gear clears the housing on the inside, cuz you will be grinding away to get that to fit. thats y im not dealing with that. this is going to be a quick painless swap.
    but back to the topic on hand, is there any type of cable kit for e locker operation? i dunno how it would work, but it would be way better than electric (imo) say if i was in some water or w/e.

Downey and NWOR both have cable actuator kits for the TRD E-Locker. I have to say a button is a much slicker option though, since the cable actuator has a big handle and associated bracket you have to mount.
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast