Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TRD locker ?'s

Re: TRD locker ?'s

This is how you wire it up with a normal switch. It looks complicated but after you study it for a little bit it's really easy. You only need to use the first wiring diagram, the rest are just gravy.

http://carterswebsite.com/4runner/mods/locker/
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

don't you also need the LOCKER ECU?
    -andy

not necessarily, you need the ecu if you want the locker to work like it was from the factory, this means 4lo only. if however you want it in 2hi or 4hi, or really when ever you want it on, then just wire it to a switch from the acc line. this way the locker is not draining power while the vehicle is parked.

as near as i can tell anyway. and then you dont have to wire in the ecu, or pay for it for that matter...

this mod is coming this summer, as soon as bob gets that wiki up... we are all waiting patiently bob...
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

e-lockers are nice when you need it just push a button
    My Truck 98 4runner 4x4 SR5 3.4L 5spd E-Locker <br />Mom 07 Tundra d-cab limited 5.7L 4x4 auto fully loaded<br />mom&#39;s 92 pickup SR5 3.0L 5spd 4x4 <br />Papa 89 Pickup SR5 X-cab 4x4 3.0L 5spd/98 4runner 3.4L auto 4x4 <br />R.I.P 91 4runner SR5 4x4 3.0L 5spd Totaled 5/13/06

you'll need the ecu if you want it to talk to the rest of your 4wd computers...meaning only activating in 4L, speed limiter, and the dash light status. if you dont care for any of those...you can just hook it up with some relays and an incab switch. of course you wont have any light to indicate whether or not the locker is activated.

another thing to think about. unless the locker you can get is the same gear ratio as the one your runner currently has, you'll either have to regear the elocker or the front diff so they match

if youre interested, i've got a 4.30 elocked diff with wiring harnesses & connectors, as well as a front 4.30 open ADD diff from my LTD...
    sonny<br />1998 4Runner LTD...d0uble locked on 35&#039;s<br />crawlinbc.com

how much doubledown?
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by d0ubledown
    of course you wont have any light to indicate whether or not the locker is activated.
    Mine has a light. So does Bob's (because I wired it).
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

i could wire up a light if i wanted to. i figure ill find out real quick if the locker isnt locked by having way less traction. im pretty sure i have 4:10 but the place i was going to get the locker from should have fronts to go with these rears, i have no problem switchin them both, prefferably to a 4:30 or even better a rare 4:56.

how much are you looking to get for your axles? shipping would be killer though.

i also do not want the ecu. if i want that locker on it better be on,no 4lo bs under 15mph lol
    to be honest i might even have the ecu in my truck because for some rare reason my friend at his toyota dealership looked up what i should have for a rear diff with my vin # and it said i had a trd locker

any way thanks for the help so far keep the info coming

btw, i think the cable kits are a way to go, id hate for that diff to get wet on the trail, cuz we all havta cross some water sometime, and then not work or get stuck on or something.
    1998 4runner SAS<br />1997 Volvo 850<br /><br />www.toyotacrawlers.com

i just want to get back what i paid for em... $850 for the pair. im in vancouver canada, but i'll be shipping from blaine or point roberts WA (98281 & 98230 respectively). front diff weighs the most, (i think the package tag says approx 80lbs), but without the ADD tube it'll probably be cheaper as it wont be as bulky. i'll of course knock some for the diff tube. the rear diff is somewhere about 50lbs? in a 5G bucket should be approx 50 or so bucks on the same coast i think..but dont quote me on that.
    sonny<br />1998 4Runner LTD...d0uble locked on 35&#039;s<br />crawlinbc.com

thanks double, ill probably pick one up from the place near me when im ready. itll be in that same price range anyways.
    1998 4runner SAS<br />1997 Volvo 850<br /><br />www.toyotacrawlers.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12