Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: June Lake Aug 18-21, 2007 - Central California!

June Lake Aug 18-21, 2007 - Central California!

With the success of last year's trip, we'd like to continue the tradition and host the second annual June Lake event. If you missed out on last years event, this is one event you do not want to miss!

Event: June Lake 2007
    Dates: August 18-21, 2007
    Camp Site: Oh Ridge

Area Information
    If you'd like to learn more about the June Lake area, accommodations, activities, etc, take a look at the June Lake Chamber of Commerce's website

Camp Site Directions
    350 miles north of Los Angeles and 150 miles south of Reno, take US 395 to its southern junction with Highway 158. Take 158 1 mile. Turn right on North Shore Drive. Go approximately 1 mile, turn left on Pine Cliff Road. Go 1/2 mile to entrance of campground.

click map to enlarge

Campsite Map and Reservations
    Make your reservations early. Reserve your spot at this weblink. Please try to reserve your spots near the south part of the complex, as the view of the lake is much nicer. We were told that Duck and Squirrel loops provided the best views. However, feel free to make your reservations anywhere you please inside of the Oh Ridge campground.

Attendees will be camped here:
    Squirrel #41 - Reggie +?A +?C (reggie 00 - 4runner) - (Thurs - Tues)
    Squirrel #44 - Chris +1A +1C (Slosurfer - Tacoma) - (Fri - Tues)
    Squirrel #45 - Jenn +1A +1C (JnJ - 4runner + Tundra) - (Fri - Tues)
    Squirrel #46 - Bob +1A (bob98sr5 - 98 4runner SR5 4x4) - (Fri 1pm - Mon)
    Squirrel #47 - Dining Spot
    Squirrel #48 - Lance +7A (Good Times - Accord! + Pathfinder + dunno!) - (Fri 11pm - Sun)
    Squirrel #51 - AVAILABLE

Pot Luck List:
    Lance (+1) - Pasta
    Lance's Friend (+1) - ?
    Lance's other Friend (+1) - ?
    Lance's other other friend (+1) - ?
    Bob (+1) - churros
    Reggie (+1) - ?
    Chris (+1) - potatoes
    Jenn (+2) - brownies

Lodging Information
    For those of you who wish to stay indoors, here is a link to a list of hotels, lodges, etc from the June Lake Chamber of Commerce. We will leave those who take this route to choose their own accommodations.

What to Expect
    The Oh Ridge campground has communal flush bathrooms and running water. Tap water can be had at faucets around camp and it actually tastes pretty good. Please don't do dishes or clean fish at the faucet, bring a bucket or a water container and fill it up and bring it back to the campsite. Showers are available at the general store for a small fee.

Weather in the Sierras can be unpredictable; it's the nature of the high desert mountains. It can be 80 degrees one minute and showering the next minute. ALWAYS BE PREPARED FOR THUNDER SHOWERS. It probably won't rain, but it would suck to be caught without rain clothes. Day time temperatures will be in the 80s, night time temperatures will be in the 50s.

During the day it can get windy, especially in at the camp site and on Lake Crawley. While you don't need to stake down your tent, you do need to put heavy items at the corners so it doesn't blow away. Tents have been known to fly across the campground when the owners were gone.

Altitudes will range from 6500 feet up to 10,000 feet. At these altitudes there is very little atmosphere to protect you from the sun, so you will most likely get sunburned. Always wear a hat and sunscreen. Long sleeve shirts are nice too, but can get hot.

Mosquitoes can be a problem in some areas, be sure to bring insect repellent. DEET is the best, you can decide on what percentage you want to use. Don't forget about your dog too, they can get eaten alive out there. Check with your vet about insect repellent for pets.

Bears are occasionally seen and while not as bad as Yosemite, can destroy your truck or campsite getting to food. Bear boxes are provided at the campsite so please use them. That includes make up, toothpaste, candy wrappers, soda cans, etc. Usually bears can be scared away by banging pots and pans together.

The destinations are spread out up and down 395. Normally you can expect to drive 1 hour north or south of June Lake to get to the farthest lakes. Be prepared to spend money on gas as it is very expensive up there. Generally, gas is cheapest in the town of Bishop, so fill up there if you can. The next cheapest is in the town of Mammoth.

The town of Mammoth (20-25 minutes south of June Lake) is a fairly large ski town so you can have all the creature comforts such as a grocery store and restaurants.
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

Re: June Lake Aug 18-21, 2007 - Central California!

Fishing

Location: Any of the dozens of lakes up and down 395 from Rock Creek Lake to Bridgeport.
    Estimated Time: Afternoons
    Things to Bring: Fishing gear, Fishing License, chair, drinks, snacks, sunscreen, camera, bug repellent, etc.

Where to Rent Boats: Boats can be rented on just about any of the major lakes. Prices are around this range:

4 person aluminum boat = $55 all day
    6 person alum boat (seats swivel) = $55 a day
    9 peep Pontoon boat w/ deck (sounds like a party boat) = $175 a day

Two websites links:
    Gull Lake: http://gulllakemarina.com/boatrentList.php
    Silver Lake: http://www.silverlakeresort.net/Silver_Lake_Rx.html

CROWLEY LAKE
    A man-made lake located 10 miles south of Mammoth Junction. Popular with fishermen and water-skiers, but the water will be cold. First formed in 1940 as part of the Los Angeles Aqueduct system. Fee at entrance. And then there's Crowley Lake:

RENTAL BOATS
    All Day 15 HP...........................$70.00
    All Day 30HP........................$89.00
    Half Day 15 HP .......................$55.00
    Half Day 30HP..........................$65.00

Half day rentals begin at 12:00 noon

PONTOON BOATS (seats 8)
    All Day..........................................$200. 00
    Half Day......................................$150.00

Lake Mary (Elev. 8,920 ft.)
    The largest lake in the Basin is nearly a mile long. This is the popular lake for fishing, boating and sailing. At the upper end is Coldwater Creek, where the John Muir Duck Lake Pass trailhead is. Hikers can hike one mile to the first of several lakes on the trail.

Convict Lake
    The oldest rocks in the Sierra Nevada range were discovered here. This is a beautiful spot tucked against the Sierra Range. This is a nice place for picnicking, fishing, hiking, horseback riding, boating and camping. Convict Lake is located 10 miles south of the Mammoth Junction on US 395, then two miles west.

Where to Rent Float Tubes and Fly Fishing Gear: http://www.thetroutfly.com/rentalsdemos.html

Fishing licenses: Information on fishing licenses can be found here: http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/fish...shdescrip.html You will need to get a 1 day, 2 day or an annual freshwater license. Here is a pdf of the California Freshwater fishing regulations. You are responsible for knowing the rules: http://www.fgc.ca.gov/2006/06freshfishregbook.pdf

Notes on Fishing:
    The type of fishing in the Sierras is Trout fishing, mostly Rainbow Trout but sometimes Brook Trout and Brown Trout. Sizes typically range from a little less than 1 pound to a little more than 1 pound, however, the occasional Alpers trout can weigh near 10 pounds.

Spinning Rod Setup: I use an ultralight setup which means 2 pound line with either a lurer or a sliding bubble filled with water and a single hook with powerbait (treble hooks work better but are a pain to remove from the fish). Typically, lurers around 1 inch long that are gold or silver work well. Personally I like Phoebes, Super Dupers, and Kastmasters, but others work well too.

The picture below shows my setup. For the purposes of this photo, the leader is not actually 3 feet long.

Fly Fishing Setup: Typically, 5-6 weight rods work well, but if you’re into ultralight 2-3 weight is fun. For lake fishing I usually float tube and use a 6 weight sinking tip line with a 5x leader. Size 14 Olive Wooly Buggers are my go to fly, followed by other colors of Wooly Buggers or Matukas and various small scuds. Depending on conditions I might switch to a full sinking line. Of course you do not have to fly fish when you float tube, lots of people use normal fishing gear when float tubing…Float tubing is a lot of fun. If you’d like to try fly fishing and/or float tubing you can rent all the equipment from The Trout Fly in mammoth http://www.thetroutfly.com/rentalsdemos.html, prices are reasonable. I can be available for a basic fly fishing lesson, but please let me know before you rent equipment, we’ll need to figure out the schedule.
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

Devil's Postpile & Rainbow Falls

Location: 25 miles south of June Lake, just east of Mammoth Mountain.
    Highlight: Stunning 100 foot waterfall, unusual volcanic formations, lovely river
    Distance: 3.5 Miles
    Elevation: 300 ft
    Hike Time: 2 hours
    Difficulty: Easy
    Trail Conditions: Well maintained trail
    Hike Type: Point to Point

Summary:

This easy hike include two of natures wonders. From the parking area, follow the well marked trail about a half mile to Devils Postpile. The Postpile is an amazing set of crystallized vertical columns of lava, caused by differing rates of cooling. I truly looks line the devil pushed giant posts up from under the earth!

Continue on the trail about 2 miles, following the well marked signs towards Rainbow Falls, enjoying the lovely San Joaquin river along the way. Rainbow falls is a staggering spectacle, plunging 100 foot over a shear cliff into a lovely horseshoe shaped amphitheater. You can walk along the rocks near enough to feel the mist of the falls.

Return on the same trail, branching tight at about the half mile mark, taking to trail towards Reds Meadow resort where a cool drink and the shuttle bus awaits.

Trailhead:

From 395, exit at Mammoth Lakes Junction (highway 203) , turn left, and follow the road through town. Turn right at Minaret Road and follow the signs to the Mammoth ski resort. During the summer, you are required to take a shuttle bus down into Red's Meadow. Have the driver drop you off at the Devils Postpile parking area. You will pick the shuttle bus up again at the Red's Meadow Resort for the return trip back to your car.

Topo Map:

Elevation:

Mono Lake South Tufa

Highlights: Bizzare Calcium Carbonate formations, otherworldly atmosphere, surroundings.
    Scenery: 5/5 Stars
    Distance: 3 miles round trip
    Elevation: 50 feet gain
    Hike Time: 1.5 hours
    Difficulty: Easy
    Trail Condition: Well maintained trail
    Hike Type: Loop

Topo Map:

Elevation Map:

Location Map:

Lance
    TLCA Member

2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile

I'll put it on my calender, but I will have to say "tentative" for right now.
    My signature

Offroad / Hike

Elevation:
    7,289 feet at Sherwin Creek Road and the road to Laurel Lakes;
    10,058 at the highest point of the road above Upper Laurel Lake.

Trail Distance: 4 miles round trip
    Difficulty: 4x4 required, easy. Great for 1st time offroaders.
    Map:
    Description:

The trail to Laurel Lakes offers beautiful views of Mammoth as you climb out of the valley and away from Sherwin Creek Road (4s08). The trail starts on (4s86), and begins climbing a set of steep switchbacks with imbedded and loose rock. Vehicles with low ground clearance may scrape. At the top of the switchbacks you have a wonderful view of Mammoth Lakes, and the Sierra Nevada mountains. You continue south and enter the Inyo National Forest. At 1.7 miles you cross a cattle guard and begin following Laurel Creek. At 2.0 miles you can drive down a short trail to the west, and make camp in one of the most beautiful camp sites i have stayed in. The camp sits under a large Aspen grove, with Laurel Creek flowing in the background. Truly Breathtaking
    After the Campsite, the trail climbs a narrow shelf road to the Laurel Lakes. It is about 3 miles to the lakes from the campsite. The lakes offer native trout fishing (not a stocked lake), and clear emerald colored water. The trail ends at the lakes 10,000 ft elevation. When driving down the trail you are afforded amazing views of this narrow, glacier carved canyon.

East Craters Loop
    Trail Length: 24 miles round trip
    Difficulty: 4WD High Clearance Vehicles only
    Trail Highlights:

The sights you see include Mono Craters, Sand Flats and Devil's Punchbowl. The loop follows the same road for 24 bumpy, dusty and spectacular scenic miles.

Trail head:

From June Lakes, head north on Hwy. 395. Turn right on a dirt road 200 yards past the June Lake Junction. 100 yards down this dirt road there is a kiosk. The east Craters Loop begins here, heading south. The road splits after 200 yards. This marks the beginning and end of the entire loop. Go left, following the directional signs.

Chemung Mine and Mill

Duration: Half day excursion. It is approximately 40 miles north of June Lake.
    Difficulty: 2wd friendly? (need to confirm)
    Location: Chemung Mine is on the Masonic Road off CA-182 north of Bridgeport. There are several mines in the vicinity.
    Additional Links:
    http://www.ghosttown.info/ca/chemung/index.html http://www.robertwynn.com/Chemung.htm
    http://www.dzrtgrls.com/chemung_succ...ng_success.htm

History:
    In 1909 the Chemung mine was discovered a short distance from Masonic, and continued to operate until about 1938

Freshwater Kayaking
    There are lots of freshwater lakes that offer delightful locations to paddle kayaks and canoes. You can paddle your boat to a secluded beach and enjoy a picnic in the sand.

Crowley Lake is a large freshwater lake close to Mammoth Lakes with spectacular vistas of the surrounding Sierra Nevada peaks. The U.S. Olympic Flat Water Kayak Team might train on the waters of Crowley Lake in preparation for the year 2004 Olympics in Athens. We offer lakefront lessons and quality kayak rentals at the Crowley Lake Marina from May through the middle of October. On the water kayak rentals make it convenient and easy to paddle a scenic gem overlooked by many paddlers. Paddle a kayak along the twenty mile shoreline and discover hidden coves and sandy beaches for yourself.

Grant Lake, a reservoir upstream from Mono Lake, has lots of sandy beaches and great vistas of Mt. Wood. Trees line the shoreline and the water is refreshing on a hot day. Autumn colors are especially vibrant on the lakeshore and hills that surround the lake. Grant Lake is part of the watershed that fills Mono Lake so we are happy to see the lake quite full these days.
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile

nice lance! i wonder where i've seen that before

looking fwd to this trip. Best trip evah!

bob

Bob, are you going to make taco yaki again?
    My signature

hey chris,

hells yeah! having just returned from japan and seeing how the guys make it at this particularly good japanese takoyaki stand, i'll have it down pat for the trip!

im also going to try to find a burner that can heat oil hot enough to fry churros this time. that was the problem w/ my regular burner---dindt get hot enough

bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
    hey chris,

hells yeah! having just returned from japan and seeing how the guys make it at this particularly good japanese takoyaki stand, i'll have it down pat for the trip!

im also going to try to find a burner that can heat oil hot enough to fry churros this time. that was the problem w/ my regular burner---dindt get hot enough

bob
    Don't make promises you cant keep this time..

Was all set last year for churros and ice cream only to have my dreams crashed upon the rocks....
    &#039;83 Truck 4x4 - 4&quot; lift, downey header,, lots of stickers.<br />&#039;90 Runner $600 project ,32&#039;s on black Steelies,Optima Red Top, 1.5&quot; Balljoint Spacers, 80 series Coils, Sleeping/Storage Platform extravaganza<br /><br />You know enough to be dangerous, get out the way before you break something i can&#039;t fix- Pops

reggie,

you beotch! like i said, if i can find a burner that can heat oil to the right temp, those churros are coming

so are you gonna make this trip?

bob
    \

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast