Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2wd to 4wd conversion, sourcing parts and buildup

2wd to 4wd conversion, sourcing parts and buildup

As some of you know, I have been planning on trading in, but, Im not willing to wait,, yes yes im not willing to wait, I like my silver sport edition even though I wouldnt mind having a black sport.

I know most of you think im an idiot for doing this and I should trade, but id rather keep my silver truck as it stands out from the rest imo and I just have fond memories of it.

step 1 will consist of

- tranny, anywhere from 600 to 1000
    - base model sr5 runner chain driven or tacoma transfercase
    - tranny mount
    - rear drive shaft.

I will run that setup for a while until I get the front done. This will also allow me to mod the case so I can run 2lo for the remainder and be able to at least keep up with the 4wd crowd with my rear locker.

step 2
    - tacoma front end
    - manual hubs
    - 4wd spindels
    - non add shafts and front diff.
    - and front driveshaft

step 3

lockin that front

Im starting to get a looot of money during the summer. and I want to do step one before I head for Colorado State hopefully!

if anybody has any inputs or thoughts on this let me know. hopefully the xfer case is first to get within this week.

already have shifter console piece.

update: found a tranny in lavonia GA which is a relief since its only about 35 miles, he wanted 1k for it but I talked him down to 900 while I was there, however I hope to get at least it down to 850 hopefully. got some things to sell and should have that next week maybe later depending.

what I have in my posession(sp?) now

[img]http://As some of you know, I have been planning on trading in, but, Im not willing to wait,, yes yes im not willing to wait, I like my silver sport edition even though I wouldnt mind having a black sport.

Heres the deal, I think I can get it done and be correct for around 2k, and thats prob over doing it on price.

step 1 will consist of

- tranny, anywhere from 600 to 1000
    - base model sr5 runner chain driven or tacoma transfercase
    - tranny mount
    - rear drive shaft.

I will run that setup for a while until I get the front done. This will also allow me to mod the case so I can run 2lo for the remainder and be able to at least keep up with the 4wd crowd with my rear locker.

step 2
    - tacoma front end
    - manual hubs
    - 4wd spindels
    - non add shafts and front diff.
    - and front driveshaft

step 3

lockin that front and gettin a crawlerbox.

Im starting to get a looot of money during the summer. and I want to do step one before I head for Colorado State hopefully!

if anybody has any inputs or thoughts on this let me know. hopefully the xfer case is first to get within this week.

already have shifter console piece.

edit: I sourced a tranny in Lavonia GA and they were asking about 1k for it, I got it down to 900 in the shop but I may be able to get it down even more, this is such a relief since its only 35 miles away compared to the other closest tranny being 200 miles.

Im a little bit confused on what type of mount goes where and what mounts I need to get. Also what shifters I may need to order or get from a junkyard.

what I have in my posession now

The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

Re: 2wd to 4wd conversion, sourcing parts and buildup

Step One buy this adapter and keep your 2WD 2001 transmission.

Note the "Prerunner Adapter".

http://www.sonoransteel.com/temp/inch.jpg

Maybe someday you'll even buy some small trinket from me for the countless hours I have spent on this with you. Converting your 2WD to 4WD is extremely east to do.

Step 2 is buy that $75.00 transfer case I found for you.
    1999 4Runner/Dana44 Front Axle - 1990 4WD Mini Pickup, 2006 Tundra & 1948/1981 CJ2A Rock Buggy.

Do you expect any down time? If so, do you have another vehicle for DD? It sure sounds like a lot of work, but I'm sure you've thought it through.

Good luck!

Troy
    1995 4Runner, 5spd, 22R-E, stock, 125,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by sschaefer3

Maybe someday you'll even buy some small trinket from me for the countless hours I have spent on this with you. Converting your 2WD to 4WD is extremely east to do.

haha yeah man i'll hook you up

but the downside to the adapter, is that its only compatible with their lefty tcase
    I talked to Jim and he said no case I can find from a tacoma or runner will fit it. otherwise id have had that today!

SAS that pig

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74
    SAS that pig
    x2... Spring Under 44! It would be shorter than it is now.
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

Quote Originally Posted by Cebby
    [/understatement of the year]
    2k 4Runner&nbsp; Daily Driver<br />Long travel front<br />Longer travel rear<br />Diamonds, Foxes, Alcans and MT/R&#039;s <br />Goes fast and slow

Quote Originally Posted by neliconcept

but the downside to the adapter, is that its only compatible with their lefty tcase
    I talked to Jim and he said no case I can find from a tacoma or runner will fit it. otherwise id have had that today!
    Well I would get the "lefty" then with a 4.7 gear in it. Add up how much a Transmission would be, the Chain Transfer case and cutting and re-welding your 2WD cross member.

My guess is that since you have to plasma cut out the 2WD Cross member mounts, buy the Front Range one or buy the $300 in stock brackets, weld all that back in, the Lefty is going to cheaper in the end as it is your all time favorite 100% BOLT IN.

You know if he can make one for the lefty, he can make one easier for the chain case, he just wants you to buy his lefty. That is a smart move.

Since the front would be from a Non-Add Tacoma with manual hubs, the Lefty would be the ideal choice.
    1999 4Runner/Dana44 Front Axle - 1990 4WD Mini Pickup, 2006 Tundra &amp; 1948/1981 CJ2A Rock Buggy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cebby
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74
    SAS that pig
    workin on figuring that one out as we speak

Quote Originally Posted by neliconcept

Well I would get the "lefty" then with a 4.7 gear in it. Add up how much a Transmission would be, the Chain Transfer case and cutting and re-welding your 2WD cross member.

My guess is that since you have to plasma cut out the 2WD Cross member mounts, buy the Front Range one or buy the $300 in stock brackets, weld all that back in, the Lefty is going to cheaper in the end as it is your all time favorite 100% BOLT IN.

You know if he can make one for the lefty, he can make one easier for the chain case, he just wants you to buy his lefty. That is a smart move.

Since the front would be from a Non-Add Tacoma with manual hubs, the Lefty would be the ideal choice.
    He did say that if I was to buy a dual front adapter and place the chain case behind that it would work. my case costed me 100, i have located tranny for 900, so its a little cheaper but not much. If you think I should get the lefty I mise well, hopefully I can see if they can give me a deal on both as a combo price. I actually talked to Matt, ill call again and talk to Jim to see if he thinks its possible. this would certainly be the easier way out. but i dont know if i have 2400 laying around and thats not even including the rest with driveshafts and front end :/

I may take that case back today, i think i have a 3 day return policy on it.

screw it, just called Jim, im going with the prerunner adapter, lefty with 4:1 gears, and hes gonna throw in a chomoly output shaft and used speed sensor in for free

i guess im gonna have to waste more gas and take this case I have now back or if someone wants to buy it let me know.

Thanks Steve, though I still have to get a budbuilt crossmember, its going to be easier then fabbing up the fror mount.

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast