Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: 2wd to 4wd conversion, sourcing parts and buildup

Re: 2wd to 4wd conversion, sourcing parts and buildup

IMO, you shouldn't even think about SAS until you have driven a double locked, low range truck.

Cheese is right...I can go more places in my truck than I am willing to go with sheet metal and class.

I have made the choice not to cut up a nice truck and put the same $ into building something out of tubing to go any farther down the trail. Why put $5 - $10k into an IFS truck and reduce its value? Put $10k into a buggy and have another vehicle worth most of what you put into it.
    &#039;00 SR5, &quot;Highlander&quot; <br />Dual Cases, Aisin Hubs, E-Lock&#039;d, Cryo&#039;d, Chromo&#039;d, ARB&#039;d, 315&#039;s, Sonoran Steel Bumper, Lift &amp; UCA&#039;s, 4 Crawl 1&quot; BL, Armored...etc.<br /><br />F-Toy #081 in progress<br />Dual Cases, 30 Splines, 5.71&#039;s, E-lockers, Hydro-Assist, 37&#039;s, DOM Hendrix Chassis, 80Proof, ORS, Sonoran Steel...etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Albuquerque Jim
    IMO, you shouldn't even think about SAS until you have driven a double locked, low range truck.

Cheese is right...I can go more places in my truck than I am willing to go with sheet metal and class.

I have made the choice not to cut up a nice truck and put the same $ into building something out of tubing to go any farther down the trail. Why put $5 - $10k into an IFS truck and reduce its value? Put $10k into a buggy and have another vehicle worth most of what you put into it.
    good point, i may regret it too if i was to do so.

thanks for all the help guys.
    The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

I've been talking to the guys at the south east 4runner jambo and we agreed that SAS is too much time and effort and its not going to do me any justice anyways for my wheeling style or what i may do with my truck.

now heres the good stuff

LOOKY LOOKY LOOKY LOOKY LOOKY LOOKY LOOKY LOOKY

they mounted the casting coupler to the case already for me, i test fitted the adapter to the casting coupler and all is well.

those twinsticks are sexy as hell.

im working on this guy on TTORA to sell me his manual hubs and cv shafts so I can go ahead and install those, workin on Dragr1 for a front diff with 4.88s and arb air locker. then i need shafts and my crossmember and im ready to install.

So you needed people from the south to confirm what the people who live where you are headed already told you?

Keep on truckin'.
    2k 4Runner&nbsp; Daily Driver<br />Long travel front<br />Longer travel rear<br />Diamonds, Foxes, Alcans and MT/R&#039;s <br />Goes fast and slow

Quote Originally Posted by Cheese
    So you needed people from the south to confirm what the people who live where you are headed already told you?

Keep on truckin'.
    no just wanted to talk about it and my options, i was never clear but im clear as crystal now on what im going to do,

about to pick up the manual hub front end here in the next day, getting 01 4runner dshafts, and then i gotta get a front non add diff or add (change out axle tubes)

another thing i bought and is coming in

thats one side and the other as well, things that arent coming are the breaks, spindles and upper a arms,

what im getting is the aisin hubs and cv axles.

im running into a junkyard tomorrow to pick up my rear driveshaft, then to spartanburg to pick up my front.

looks like im going to be inchworms poster 4runner for this swap when all is said and done.

i think i have some goodnews about some measurements

ok here is my driveshaft from flange to slipyoke = 57"
    tailhousing is 10" which would make 67" from tranny to rear third.

from the part where the tailhousing bolts off to the gastank is 29"

my entire case and adapter setup is 21"

67" - 21" is 46" right? well i was told

Length of my 01 rear shaft is 45.5" flange to flange, that's with an auto tranny.
    will this 01 shaft work or no?

i did measure from adapter to rear flange of the transfer case to where the driveshaft bolts up.

will i need to extend this shaft, or go with a 2000 shaft instead.

if anyone else has measurements of theirs, let me know

manual hubs, spindles, and cvs are still on their way, Miguel over on TTORA hasnt really got them detached from brakes and crap

BUD @ budbuilt is going to build me a crossmember asap.

ill have this thing in before I get to Colorado most likely.

front end will follow real quickly.

Explain how this works.

I see twin stick, and a block off plate. This looks like a dual set up, but you've said it isn't. How do those shifters work?
    -I love you.-<br /><br />1987 BigWheel

i can take a picture of the hooks the shifters hook in to

basically too long metal etchings that go back from the coupler (the metal casting) to the case itself.

its a foward shift setup.

if you want a picture of the shifter off and the inside I can do that

Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast