Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2wd to 4wd conversion, sourcing parts and buildup

Re: 2wd to 4wd conversion, sourcing parts and buildup

Quote Originally Posted by Cheese
    Get a shaft, have it lengthened to fit. Not likely to be a stock anything.

You need to do a project like this in a buy once, cry once mindset. You could cut some corners now, not buy the gears and two cases, then redo the gears and cases down the road. This is a big jump do, get it done.
    alright 4x4 shaft it is,
    and with the 4:1 gears, I think i may just go ahead and get them as I may regret it later. but will i blow rear ends like Jim has been doing to his with his crawlerbox setup?

sent Bud an email regarding case member, i may have him measure it up and ill just head up to morganton to see what he thinks.
    The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

I don't think you'll have Jim's problems any time soon. That was due to old well worn diffs. Is your rear diff old and well worn? No it's not.

I hear the Cheeseburger, but if it were me I would do the 4.0 gear. I drove Verns truck around years ago with a single 4.7 case and while it would be more ideal to have stock low in the picture, I and he made it work. It's not that bad, not ideal, but it's OK.

The benefits of having the 4.0 gear greatly outweigh the times it would be a nuisance.

With that truck 5th gear in the manual and 4.7 low was the same as 1st gear stock low. You just can't go to second. If you want to go faster go back to high range. With an auto slush box, it will be OK.

I would do the 4.0 gear if it were me.
    1999 4Runner/Dana44 Front Axle - 1990 4WD Mini Pickup, 2006 Tundra & 1948/1981 CJ2A Rock Buggy.

I thought i would add these pics up as well,

This is SAR_Squids conversion over on TTORA. He has a 2000 prerunner he did this too.
    saved these images so i wouldnt use his bandwidth

also i noticed that this guy was able to retain the stock trim area and he did a twin stick config. I guess ill have to buy a pistol grip shifter and the plate behind that with the P N D R 2 and L plate for that pistol grip. and a tcase shifter, couldnt find the search function to find these on car-part.com

here is his setup for that.

Blake has an auto.

Blake, I have the same drivetrain as Jim. I have lower diff gears at 5.29. I think my auto saves my diffs, but I have killed one diff to date.

I am attempting to advocate dual cases.

Most of my wheeling is 4.7 low and 1 or 2. Some times when I need wheel speed, I use stock low and 1. Rarely if ever do I used double low.
    2k 4Runner&nbsp; Daily Driver<br />Long travel front<br />Longer travel rear<br />Diamonds, Foxes, Alcans and MT/R&#039;s <br />Goes fast and slow

I guess I'll just have to be careful and try and save the rear before I do what Jim did and get it cryoed as well and cromo inners.

Im tryin to think of what else I need to plan before I start pullin the trigger on parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheese
    I am attempting to advocate dual cases.
    I was wheeling all day yesterday and with a 5-speed you can use the 4.7 case only and 3 rd gear not 5th is like stock low 1st. So you still have 4th and 5th to go up.

If you are in Stock low 4th gear, my guess is you could shift to high 1st gear and it would be the same.

So with my tests, I think one single 4.7 case would be/is fine.

As for advocating dual cases, this is a 2001-2002 the Ultimate Redheaded Stepchild. The 2001-2002 4WD 4Runner CAN NOT run dual cases unless you are willing to shorted or move your gas tank. An absurd amount of work. 2001-2002 4WD 4Runners have the exact same problem the 2007 FJC has. A longer transmission.

If this 2WD wonder truck has the same longer transmission, this boy is out of luck. He is not ready to cut and rebuild his gas tank.
    1999 4Runner/Dana44 Front Axle - 1990 4WD Mini Pickup, 2006 Tundra &amp; 1948/1981 CJ2A Rock Buggy.

Quote Originally Posted by neliconcept
    Im tryin to think of what else I need to plan before I start pullin the trigger on parts.
    Your not going to break anything. Pull the trigger all your needed was that lefty thing.

BTW, the adapter between the pre-runner adapter and the lefty case is not made by Inchworm, but someone else, I forgot who but they are up by the Rubicon.
    1999 4Runner/Dana44 Front Axle - 1990 4WD Mini Pickup, 2006 Tundra &amp; 1948/1981 CJ2A Rock Buggy.

Quote Originally Posted by sschaefer3
    Quote Originally Posted by neliconcept
    Your not going to break anything. Pull the trigger all your needed was that lefty thing.

BTW, the adapter between the pre-runner adapter and the lefty case is not made by Inchworm, but someone else, I forgot who but they are up by the Rubicon.
    yeah the coupler? I think Jim sells it in combo with the prerunner adapter though for a total of 700 then the case for 1700.

I got some things to worry about at work, so right now ill have to wait till next week or so to order this.

He has an auto, it is a whole different animal. With an adaptor on top of a goofy case, that is going to be a long SOB.

I still wonder about this undertaking.
    2k 4Runner&nbsp; Daily Driver<br />Long travel front<br />Longer travel rear<br />Diamonds, Foxes, Alcans and MT/R&#039;s <br />Goes fast and slow

ill call him up tomorrow, get some measurements, measure my tail housing and see wher e it will sit.

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast