Thread: Rear axle alignment

Rear axle alignment

I took my rear leafs out the other day (and took them apart) to do some work, including putting in new center pins. Apparently the new pins I used had slightly bigger heads because they didn't seem to want to slid into the holes on the perches as easily to line up the axle. With the axle back on and the ubolts torqued down to spec, from the outside everything looks good. I was able to peek inside a hole on the side of the perch with a flashlight and verify that the new center pin heads are indeed in the perch holes, and not in crooked or partially or anything. That being said, I *think* ive noticed some slightly funny behavior from the rear end. On one or two occasions i've managed to squeal the tires on acceleration from a stop where normally i wouldnt have done that (i never squeal the tires on acceleration). Also, on turns, if I have my window down and in making a left-hand turn, i can hear a lot of tire rubbing on the ground, it kind of sounds as if my rear axle is "slightly locked" if that makes sense. its not as severe as if my locker were engaged, but it acts like its locked just a little bit. now this could all be in my head, but i kinda want to see what everyone else's thoughts are on the subject. how can i check to make sure my axle is pointing dead-straight forward?
    -David<br /><br />2000 Taco TRD Access Cab<br />v6 | 5spd | 33&quot; BFG A/Ts on 15x10 alloy | 33&quot; PC Mud Terrains on 15x8 black steel | 3&quot; Susp. Lift | OME 882&#039;s | Bilstein HD struts front | Rancho shocks rear | Chevy leaf spring swap | Custom sliders | Custom front bumper |3&quot; BL | U-Bolt flip | Flowmaster exhaust | Uniden CB | Firestik II | Dual Hella Black Magic&#039;s | Maglite Mod | Kenwood Speakers | Grey Wire Mod | Aux. Reverse Lights | Deckplate Mod<br /><br />Pictures

Re: Rear axle alignment

anyone at all
    -David<br /><br />2000 Taco TRD Access Cab<br />v6 | 5spd | 33&quot; BFG A/Ts on 15x10 alloy | 33&quot; PC Mud Terrains on 15x8 black steel | 3&quot; Susp. Lift | OME 882&#039;s | Bilstein HD struts front | Rancho shocks rear | Chevy leaf spring swap | Custom sliders | Custom front bumper |3&quot; BL | U-Bolt flip | Flowmaster exhaust | Uniden CB | Firestik II | Dual Hella Black Magic&#039;s | Maglite Mod | Kenwood Speakers | Grey Wire Mod | Aux. Reverse Lights | Deckplate Mod<br /><br />Pictures

Re: Rear axle alignment

May seem low tech, but alot of guys that I have talked to in Heavy Truck Shops use a measuring tape. Try picking a point on each side of your truck and measure to the center of the hub. Or measure from your the center of your front hub to the center of the rear hub. Have a budy with you to make sure that the tape stays straight and doesn't bend so you can get an accurate measurement.

May not be the most accurate way of doing it but I'm sure that you'll be able to see if you have an issue somewhere.
    &#039;97 4Runner Limited w/E-locker<br />&#039;99 Coils w/TrekMasters<br />265/75R16 BFG AT&#039;s<br /><br />My Profile