Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3 way switch fog light wiring help

3 way switch fog light wiring help

OK, Im stumped and going through too many fuses to figure this out. I have some driving lights and would like to have them switchable from accessory and high beam. This way I can have them on when i like and then when the fog lights are on. I have 2 circuits at the moment that work independantly. I have a fuse tap from the high beam to switch then ground to switch and switch to relay. I also have a wire from acc. to switch, using the same ground wire and switch to relay wire. So I have this 3 way switch with 6 pins,,see link and scroll down.
    http://www.4x4mods.com/Product/Jeep/...rswitch40.html
    So how can I make this work so if i have it flipped up the relay is charged from the high beams and when switched down the relay is charged from the acc. and then when in middle nothing..thanks
    99 4Runner Limited

Re: 3 way switch fog light wiring help

Here you go...

1 - To Accessory +
    2 - To Ground
    3 - To Highbeams +
    4 - Nothing
    5 - To Relay
    6 - Nothing
    &#039;00 SR5, &quot;Highlander&quot; <br />Dual Cases, Aisin Hubs, E-Lock&#039;d, Cryo&#039;d, Chromo&#039;d, ARB&#039;d, 315&#039;s, Sonoran Steel Bumper, Lift &amp; UCA&#039;s, 4 Crawl 1&quot; BL, Armored...etc.<br /><br />F-Toy #081 in progress<br />Dual Cases, 30 Splines, 5.71&#039;s, E-lockers, Hydro-Assist, 37&#039;s, DOM Hendrix Chassis, 80Proof, ORS, Sonoran Steel...etc.

Haha , thanks Jim, Im Godzilla over on the other one..
    99 4Runner Limited

still blowing fuses..ugh, grounds are fine. so i have it so when i flip the switch up (drawing from acc.)the lights go on and all is ok,,i return to middle and fine..but once i flip the other way i blow the acc. fuse
    99 4Runner Limited

Not sure...are you sure you have the leads wired as I described?

1,2, & 3 are on one side of the switch and 4,5, & 6 are on the opposite side.
    &#039;00 SR5, &quot;Highlander&quot; <br />Dual Cases, Aisin Hubs, E-Lock&#039;d, Cryo&#039;d, Chromo&#039;d, ARB&#039;d, 315&#039;s, Sonoran Steel Bumper, Lift &amp; UCA&#039;s, 4 Crawl 1&quot; BL, Armored...etc.<br /><br />F-Toy #081 in progress<br />Dual Cases, 30 Splines, 5.71&#039;s, E-lockers, Hydro-Assist, 37&#039;s, DOM Hendrix Chassis, 80Proof, ORS, Sonoran Steel...etc.

yup leads the same
    99 4Runner Limited

Quote Originally Posted by Albuquerque Jim
    Here you go...

1 - To Accessory +
    2 - To Ground
    3 - To Highbeams +
    4 - Nothing
    5 - To Relay
    6 - Nothing
    Close, Jim. But keep in mind that the switch is designed to have one 12 volt input on one side feeding two different loads, and one connection to ground on the other that completes the ground path for two different loads. It's not designed to have two selectable 12V supplies alternately feeding one load. To do that, it should be like this:

1 - Nothing
    2 - Nothing
    3 - Nothing
    4 - To Accessory +
    5 - To Relay
    6 - To Highbeams +

The ground at pin 2 is only there so that the LED's on the switch will light up when you flip the switch, but they will not work correctly with the switch used in this configuration unless you add extra diodes in your circuit, or are able to rewire the switch to flip the diodes around the other way and get rid of the two cross ties between posts 1-6 and 3-4. All your ground is giving you the way its wired is a direct short to ground, which is why you're blowing fuses. So, the easy way to wire it is as I've shown above, but your LED's will not light up. To get the LED's to light up correctly without blowing fuses will take either more components or the fancy switch re-wiring, which you need to be able to open the switch up to do.
    2002 4Runner, Auto-A340F, 3.4L, 4.30 Gears<br />TJM T15 Front Bumper &amp; Warn M8000, 4xInnovation sliders, Sonoran Steel 1.2 Lift, Toytec LCA Skids, Tundra Brake Upgrade (231mm), Extended rear diff breather,&nbsp; Deckplate Mod, Andymod, Dual batt setup with Optima blue top aux battery, Hardwired 1000W inverter, Aux fuse box, Full time power to 12V plugs, Yaesu FT7800R Radio, &quot;4-air&quot; system for airing up/down tires.<br /><br />2004 Camry LE - stock (and will stay that way)<br /><br />1993 4Runner has been sold

cool, i will try this after work. how hard is it for a dunce like myself to re-wire the switch, or can you suggest a type of switch that would work in this application.
    99 4Runner Limited

right on, it worked..id like to get the led working but for now this is good.
    99 4Runner Limited

Not sure if this helps or not:

http://coloradok5.com/wiringlights.shtml

2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast