Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Useless Trivia: Tell us something we wouldn't know.

Useless Trivia: Tell us something we wouldn't know.

My wife is constantly telling me I am full of useless trivia (she calls it discovery channel trivia ), but for some reason I just can't ever seem to get enough and I love finding out something new I didn't know about or hadn't heard of, etc. I figured why not start a thread because maybe I'm not the only one like this and we can all learn some new stuff in the process (always a dangerous thing!). Anyway the rule would be it should be some fact that can be backed up by proof from sources. It can be about almost anything, but it should have some sort of "AHA, that's where that came from!" or "WOW, I never would have thought of that!" or "COOL, so that how that was done!" factor to it. The subjects are almost limitless and could be from Medicine, Weapons, Battles, Biology, Astronomy, Art, Culture, whatever you think others might find interesting too.....I'll just leave it up to the imagination.

I'll start us off.....

The first absorbable sutures were actually insects. As far back as ancient India and Egypt ants were used to hold wounds closed long enough for the body to heal them naturally. The technique involved holding the ant (commonly used species include: Carpenter ants, Leaf-cutting ants, Army ants) over a wound and its body squeezed so that its jaws instinctively shut, clamping the flesh together. The body was then pinched off. This process was later used by the Roman legions as a primitive, but effective medical technique during battle for injured soldiers and would often dress the wound with raw honey (which is actually an actibacterial) for a speedier recovery and to prevent infection.

Let's hear some more!
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Re: Useless Historical Trivia

Robert E. Lee, of the Confederate Army, remains the only person, to date, to have graduated from the West Point military academy without a single demerit.

Buy cool Wheeling shirts: http://www.cafepress.com/Rix_Designz

Re: Useless Trivia: Tell us something we wouldn't know.

The Caesar Salad originated in Tijuana Mexico.
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

Figuring out this trivia question won me a 40oz beer on a flight during college.

"Where is the only American flag that is NEVER, EVER, taken down? Not even once...

I'll post up the answer after a couple guesses.

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

The word Golf is actually an acronym for Gentlemen Only Ladies Forbidden.
    [url=http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php?option=com_smf&amp;Itemid=26&amp;topic=1 592.0]

Quote Originally Posted by Erich_870
    Figuring out this trivia question won me a 40oz beer on a flight during college.

"Where is the only American flag that is NEVER, EVER, taken down? Not even once...

I'll post up the answer after a couple guesses.

Erich
    The one on the moon?
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack

D'oh Good thing you weren't on my flight

Yeah, that's the one, nice going

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Lucky guess....

Who is the most famous person from Myrtle Beach, SC?

Answer: Vanna White

Quote Originally Posted by saulgoode
    http://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/golf.asp

Quote Originally Posted by garrett
    Quote Originally Posted by saulgoode
    http://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/golf.asp
    I guess i can't argue with that?
    [url=http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php?option=com_smf&amp;Itemid=26&amp;topic=1 592.0]

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast