Write Up: How to Disable the Keyless Entry Chirp on 2001 & 2002 4Runners

Article By:
Rock Slide
05/16/07
__________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

The purpose of this mod is to show you how to disable the keyless entry chirp common on 2001 & 2002 4Runners. I use my keyless entry remote A LOT and get tired of hearing the chirps associated with it every time I lock and unlock my doors.

Tools Needed:

1. Duct Tape
2. Zip Tie
3. A socket wrench is optional.

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

STEP 1:

Locate the OEM Buzzer found in the engine bay on the passenger’s side next to the firewall. (Notice I have already unplugged the connector from the buzzer. Sorry, no before pics. In normal operation, this connector would be plugged into the buzzer.)

STEP 2:

Unplug the connector coming into the buzzer as I have already done in this picture

STEP 3:

Take some duct tape and tape off the exposed connector.

If you plan on using your buzzer in the future, do not remove it and you’re done! If you never plan on using the buzzer again (like me), proceed onto Step 4.

STEP 4:

Take a socket wrench, 10mm I believe, and remove the bolt holding the door buzzer to the body and do with it as you wish. Here is the part I discarded:

STEP 5:

Take the connector and zip tie it to something close by to keep it from flopping around in the engine bay. (No pictures were taken to show where I zip tied the connector too. Just pick something close by to zip tie it to.)

For any questions, feel free to PM me.