Thread: Sequoia shopping

Sequoia shopping

We've been browsing for something bigger than the 4Runner for some time now. We definitely like the Sequoias, but haven't seen many 04+, CPO'd Sequoias under 40,000 miles at local dealerships - at least not with options we wanted.

I saw today that someone at work was selling an '02 Sequoia Limited. They also have it posted on craigslist - http://desmoines.craigslist.org/car/329984085.html

Much higher miles that I had originally planned on considering, but hell, my 4Runner has 133k on it and runs great. Plus this is significantly less than what a newer CPO'd one would be. I was thinking about looking at it tomorrow.

Listing has it at $19,900 but his ad at work said $18,000. I haven't looked at Edmunds or KBB yet so I'm not sure how reasonable that is.

Any significant issues with Sequoias in general, or '02's more specifically? I'd really like something that has captain's chairs in the 2nd row - I know some years had them, but were they an option or std.?

Re: 2002 Sequoia - anything to look for?

My uncle had a sequoia with 60K on it a couple years back and his mechanic noticed metal flakes in the transmission. Apparently this happens a lot, so I would be lookin at the tranny. I didnt think they have captains chairs in the second row, but I that could be an option. My dad has an 04 and its going strong.
    1996 4runner SR5- Bunch of goodies that make it clunck<br /><br />2008 Acura TL

Re: 2002 Sequoia - anything to look for?

I remember the Sequoias had the brake issue back then so you could ask if the calipers had been upgraded (13WL casting).
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum.../br00502r2.pdf
    Might be able to get the dealer to do it free if it hasn't been done already.

Sloppy steering can require steering rack bushing replacement or new ball joints. Other issues can include cracked exhaust manifolds, issues with the VSC (can require a new computer), O2 sensors may be on the way out and double check the A/C works (new compressor can set you back big bucks....might ask if it has already been replaced). Aks if the owner tows anything with it and if so how he does it (hopefully he doesn't tow in OD!)
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Re: Sequoia shopping

We never did go for that '02 - we've been trying to hold out for one with bucket seats in the 2nd row. That either started in '04 or '05 as an option on the LTD.

Local dealer has an '06 LTD - bench seat in the 2nd row, but I think we can get both car seats on the 60 side of the 60/40 split, and still be able to fold down the 40 side to get to the back if needed.

Here's the link:

http://www.toyotadm.com/ContentFrame...erID%3d6901%26

DVD player is a bonus, although I normally wouldn't consider a 1 yr. old vehicle with that many miles. Price seems high to me given the age and # of miles too.

It's essentially a 2 year old vehicle now - check the build date or maybe see if you can find out when the PO took delivery. Regardless, even at two years, it's 17k+ miles per year. That's a little pricey IMO, but there just don't seem to be deals out there on these things (I've been searching also)
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

I looked at them a couple years ago.

Do yourself a favor and find a decent to low mileage southeastern or texas land cruiser and buy one. I have never once regretted buying our UZJ over a sequoia. We got it about a two years or so ago, 61k miles, two owner (first owner was actually a dealer who let the manager drive it and he only put 11k on it in two years), always in the south, immaculate condition, and for $19,700. They're lower than that by a good amount now due to the high gas prices that are still lingering up there.
    -andy