Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Expedition GPS Laptop

Expedition GPS Laptop

Anyone have any experience in this arena? though I already have a garmin quest, I'm looking for a more advanced gps system that I can use for my expeditions. The quest will be demoted but still be used as a secondary device. Basically going to be looking at using the good ol maps + gps laptop + quest. Figure this should cover all of my bases outside of going old fashion w/ the compass and sundial

Based on the weeks of reading, this is what I've found so far:
    Panasonic Toughbook CF-18,19,28,29
    Itronix ix250,260 (hp nr3600)
    Getac (looks to be very pricey on ebay)

What I want / to do:
    GPS navigation
    MP3 tunes!
    DVD movies!

GPS Software I'm looking into:
    Topo Fusion
    Ozi Explorer
    Google Earth
    Delorme Topo USA
    Other suggestions?

touch screen is a must!
    backlit keyboard is good too!
    bluetooth/usb2.0 would be nice too!

This laptop will be mounted either by the ram mount or similar type and must handle the rugged terrain. Mounting hardware and laptop must survive the wheeling abuse that it'll experience. Size and weight will be critical as if the screen is too big it may interefere the driver and/or navigator. I have already factored that I will need a screen mount/holder so it doesn't move as I wheel.

Mounting vendors:
    Ram Mount
    Ram Mount Ram Pod III
    Jotto Desk

I did consider a carputer (or similar form) but came to a conclusion that having a laptop that I can disconnect and configure some way points for the next day away from the 4runner would be a big plus. There are some concerns w/ the rugged terrain on the carputer so that's more food for thought. Dust will be very excessive so the equipment must be very durable.

Would like some input on what kind of laptop used in relationship to the type of exploration trails encountered. Speed on the laptop when using gps software will be key as well since I don't want a slow working computer.

Thoughts, suggestions?

edit:
    If I don't go this route I'm looking at the following gps units:
    Garmin 276c
    Lowrance iWay 500c/600c (unit comes w/ HD which is concerning due to the vibration from the vehicle in offroad terrains)
    Lowrance Baja 480c

it's madness!
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

Re: Expedition GPS Laptop

Update:

I ended up picking up an old retired laptop from work for next to nothing. It's a standard Sony Vaio Laptop with the basics except the added 1GB of ram It comes standard with the DVD/CDRW and a decent 15" screen. Though the battery life is pretty much worthless for next to nothing I couldn't say no. Figure I can test it out first and see how much mileage I can get out of this before going with one of the more tough notebooks.

Current softwares I'm experimenting with:
    Topo Fusion
    USA Photomaps (www.jdmcox.com)

I have Ozi Explorer installed but haven't been able to register it yet so until then I'll hold off. Just trying to get these maps downloaded really takes the fun out of just using them right off the bat!

Hardware:
    Ram Mount for the 4runner (specific). I still have to order a few parts for them but once I get everything I'll post up photos. (next week or so).
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

I've got an older Sony Vaio picture book, got it for free, so not big deal here!

I also purchased Microsoft Streets and Trips 2007 for it. It seems to work quite nicely for on road travel. I'm not too worried about off road travel because I've got some topo maps for that.

I'm going to be getting an external HDD for a couple of reasons.

#1 the laptop doesn't have the largest HDD. In fact I have more GB's of music than the laptop has in total capacity.

#2 I like the idea of being able to keep the HDD's safe, a foam case would provide this. Laptops + vehicle on rutted road = not so good things over time. An external HDD would be much easier to store and keep free of vibrations.

#3 Finally, I like the idea of being able to back up the laptop in case the vibrations take their toll on the laptop I'd be able to recover saved routes, pictures, etc.

Now I've just got to make a mount for it, I'll get some pics of it when I find some time.
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

No help on the laptop, but have you been doing your research on geocaching.com?

The best prices I've seen on garmin stuff has been from www.gpsnow.com. You must add to cart in order to see the real discounted price.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Work issued me a Fujitsu Lifebook 4020. It is a laptop/tablet hybrid. It's screen swivels around to lay flat over the keyboard. There is a pen that you use on the screen when it is in tablet mode. I really like it and the handwriting recognition works way better than I expected. I have not played with the voice recognition yet. You might want to look in this direction when the Sony gets old.

Absolutely awesome lance. I think that computers are really the best option when using in vehicle GPS. The units are nice, but awfully small.

I too wish to pursue computer based GPS for my truck, though i'm going with a Carputer type, rather than a laptop, simply because i don't like the amount of room that the laptop takes up. I also like the fact that you can run all of your car stereo stuff off of the carputer, so CD, DVD, MP3, Satelite, GPS and Internet all with touchscreen usage.

Let us know as you get the laptop set up and the software loaded on how you like it. i've read a lot about people using this, but more info is always appreciated, especially if you have any problems or downsides.
    -I love you.-<br /><br />1987 BigWheel

Bump for any more info on what mapping software any of you guys are using.

I am thinking of doing something similar, one problem I may run into though is connecting my garmin etrex legend to the laptop. Right now I don't have a USB cord, it is the old school connector (not sure what it is called). Has anyone solved this problem?

Right now I am using gps (EasyGPS used to interface between computer and gps) and following along with a good topo map. Works great, but adding a laptop would be even sweeter.
    My signature

i use iguidance 3.0 for streets, soon to upgrade to 4, and delorme topo usa for topo maps (though ihave yet to get a chance to try it offroad)

as for a reciever, its a Bu-353 usb gps puck. magnetic and water proof.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

check out the forums on www.mp3car.com , they have TONS of info on all the different gps programs.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer
    Bump for any more info on what mapping software any of you guys are using.

I am thinking of doing something similar, one problem I may run into though is connecting my garmin etrex legend to the laptop. Right now I don't have a USB cord, it is the old school connector (not sure what it is called). Has anyone solved this problem?
    Here ya go.
    http://www.compusb.com/usbtoserrsdb.html
    &#039;83 Truck 4x4 - 4&quot; lift, downey header,, lots of stickers.<br />&#039;90 Runner $600 project ,32&#039;s on black Steelies,Optima Red Top, 1.5&quot; Balljoint Spacers, 80 series Coils, Sleeping/Storage Platform extravaganza<br /><br />You know enough to be dangerous, get out the way before you break something i can&#039;t fix- Pops

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast