Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Swapping a 1UZFE (Lexus 4.0 V8) into a 2nd Gen 4Runner (LONG)

Re: Swapping a 1UZFE (Lexus 4.0 V8) into a 2nd Gen 4Runner (LONG)

Finally assembled a used parts washer I bought from someone on a forum. That was an adventure - no directions (they were promised), plus I come to find out that its a homebrew setup for the pump and plumbing that uses a 5 gal bucket as a a holding tank instead of having everything inside the washer itself. Nice to have the extra room and the solution drain out for easy cleaning of the washer.

The pump housing had (yes, had) a plastic nipple that a brass coupling was threaded onto (which a 3/8" NPT barbed fitting was threaded into a rigid PVC hose). Crappy pack job = broken plastic. Pump was one like this:

I didn't take any pics of it during the process (too pissed), but I used my dremel to take the remains of the nipple off. I then grabbed a 1/8" NPT tap (27 tpi) and threaded the plastic - didn't even have to drill it first, the size was perfect.

Got a 3/8" NPT to 1/4" NPT coupler to connect to the hose barb. Got it all connected up and it works OK (aside from leaking badly at the fittings (wrong application of hoses & fittings)

So I fill up the parts washer with cleaning solution (gotta love Tractor Supply ~$40/5 gal). Open the valve to let the solution into the bucket (bucket with liner), to find out that the liner had a couple of holes in it. Bucket had been milled to feature a viewing window at the liner for whatever reason...

So before I waste more solution, I'm going to fix all the plumbing BS and get a better holding tank. Probably looking at one of these:

http://www.plastic-mart.com/item.aspx?id=4516

Pic is misleading - size is 18w x 12d x 12h and has a cover. Thicker than a bucket, so more durable.

Also changed over my Miller 140 MIG to .023 wire for doing some body work. Still need to build a cart for that and find a reasonably priced plasma cutter. Anyone know someone at Miller so I can get a deal? Would love one of the 375 Spectrum Xtremes...
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

First off, sad to say that there's no new tech here.

This project has been permanently shelved. I started back on this and the rust on the 4Runner was too severe (body AND frame) to warrant throwing any money at it. Sitting in my yard for a couple of years pushed the 4Runner into the not worth saving category. It spent 12 years on the road in the rust belt and a couple sitting out (was never garaged when it was operable either so that didn't help). It's gone now - all the good stuff stripped off.

Like a lot of projects, started off with good intentions and a decent plan but life got in the way. I've restored all the pics I could find (almost all of them), but there won't be any new tech added to this unless something crazy happens.

I have another (non-Toyota) project waiting in the wings, so an additional part of the demise of the UZ swap was having 2 inoperable vehicles on my property. The Mrs wasn't standing for it...

In the end, I finally got a running Toyota V8 after all - in the form of a Sequoia family hauler.
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack

I was wondering about this Cebby. Thanks for the update, but sorry for the set back.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

I went through this whole thread (first on yotatech.com, then found this version). I have to say, I was anxious to see how you solved the oil pan sump issue, but ah, such is life. I have a long travel 1990 4runner with a blown 22RE and a 1UZ just about ready to start fitting it in - the 'no body lift' option was quite intriguing and I'm pretty commuted to it (roll cage). Thanks for what you did post up!

while this particular project may have died, there have been a few developments which make this swap a bit easier. I'll start a separate thread once I collect more parts, but I already picked up an R150F trans & transfer case to get the ball rolling . . . hoping to get it all installed and running before the first snows of winter. I'm expecting total parts price to be around $2k, give or take, with me doing all the work.

Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Quote Originally Posted by corax View Post
    while this particular project may have died, there have been a few developments which make this swap a bit easier. I'll start a separate thread once I collect more parts, but I already picked up an R150F trans & transfer case to get the ball rolling . . . hoping to get it all installed and running before the first snows of winter. I'm expecting total parts price to be around $2k, give or take, with me doing all the work.
    Link to your new thread when you start it; I'll do the same (still haven't started, got sucked into, and just finished, an STI swap on my Subaru.)

FYI - PAHydrohead (Bill) bought all my 4Runner stuff several months ago. His 4Runner is in much better shape than mine as his is garaged and orignially a Cali vehicle (IIRC). He had his headgasket let go (again), so the 1UZ and many of the things I had planned for my 4RUnner will get to live on in his build.

Quote Originally Posted by Romy View Post
    Link to your new thread when you start it; I'll do the same (still haven't started, got sucked into, and just finished, an STI swap on my Subaru.)
    I've still got some parts to collect, but I posted a thread with some of the info I've found so far
    http://www.ultimateyota.com/showthre...rax-s-1UZ-swap
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789