Finally assembled a used parts washer I bought from someone on a forum. That was an adventure - no directions (they were promised), plus I come to find out that its a homebrew setup for the pump and plumbing that uses a 5 gal bucket as a a holding tank instead of having everything inside the washer itself. Nice to have the extra room and the solution drain out for easy cleaning of the washer.

The pump housing had (yes, had) a plastic nipple that a brass coupling was threaded onto (which a 3/8" NPT barbed fitting was threaded into a rigid PVC hose). Crappy pack job = broken plastic. Pump was one like this:

I didn't take any pics of it during the process (too pissed), but I used my dremel to take the remains of the nipple off. I then grabbed a 1/8" NPT tap (27 tpi) and threaded the plastic - didn't even have to drill it first, the size was perfect.

Got a 3/8" NPT to 1/4" NPT coupler to connect to the hose barb. Got it all connected up and it works OK (aside from leaking badly at the fittings (wrong application of hoses & fittings)

So I fill up the parts washer with cleaning solution (gotta love Tractor Supply ~$40/5 gal). Open the valve to let the solution into the bucket (bucket with liner), to find out that the liner had a couple of holes in it. Bucket had been milled to feature a viewing window at the liner for whatever reason...

So before I waste more solution, I'm going to fix all the plumbing BS and get a better holding tank. Probably looking at one of these:

http://www.plastic-mart.com/item.aspx?id=4516

Pic is misleading - size is 18w x 12d x 12h and has a cover. Thicker than a bucket, so more durable.

Also changed over my Miller 140 MIG to .023 wire for doing some body work. Still need to build a cart for that and find a reasonably priced plasma cutter. Anyone know someone at Miller so I can get a deal? Would love one of the 375 Spectrum Xtremes...