Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Swapping a 1UZFE (Lexus 4.0 V8) into a 2nd Gen 4Runner (LONG)

Re: Swapping a 1UZFE (Lexus 4.0 V8) into a 2nd Gen 4Runner (LONG)

Wow..Interesting. Looks like the 2UZ idler pully was a direct bolt on, or did you have to rig up something?
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

It's a direct bolt on.

1UZ and 3UZ blocks are essentially the same (both all aluminum)

2UZ is the same dims for much of the block -- at least externally (2 bolt mains instead of 6 bolt like the 1/3 UZ though)
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

This is really good to know! I've been wondering if there was a way around the fan pulley setup on the 1uz. Sweet!
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

hey mike, when are you going to finish this?

haha, just messing with you. honestly this is way beyond anything i think i would ever attempt. awesome job so far, i just want to see it in the runner and running on those trails already.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

The last couple of days was a perfect example of why stuff takes forever to get done...

All I wanted was 2 10mm x 1.25 thread x 50mm long bolts, nuts, and some washers. So I go to the Lowes near my house two days ago - and got all the parts - turns out I got 1.5 thread (found out later that only 1.25 would work). I looked for 1.25 while there and would have bought both and returned what I didn't need later - of course, the metric drawers are all picked over and doesn't look like the rep who stocks them had been there in an eternity (this is a pattern I found later on).

So I was in another area that had both a Lowes and a Home Depot (about 5 miles from each other). So I go to the Lowes and return the 1.5 stuff and look at the 1.25 stuff - same deal as the other Lowes - to boot what they DID have in the right size wasn't threaded the whole way (which I needed). So I go to Home Depot - they ended up having a much better selection and had the bolts I needed. BUT, they were out of the 1.25 nuts I needed. So I swing by another Home Depot on my way home and they have the 1.25 nuts.....

I didn't want to wait for mail order, but in the future I'm just going to have to. This running all over creation for parts is for the birds! At least I have the parts to reverse my starter mount now.
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack

Doens't Pittsburgh have a hardware store besides Lowe's or Home Depot?

I know our small town has an Eaton's with plenty of fasteners...heck even the local parts stores carry a lot of that kind of stuff, without the markup!

We even had one better than local hardware - there was a store called "Metric Screw and Fastener" about 20 minutes from here. They specialized in automotive fasteners and metric hardware. My last few calls to them went unanswered so I fear they went belly up

i suppose you will just have to order from places like mcmaster.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Here's some pics of a couple of days ago. I got my starter "conversion" done thanks to Smitherz.

(2) Bolts - 10mm x 50mm x 1.25mm thread pitch
    (2) Nuts - 10mm x 1.25mm thread pitch
    (4) Washers - standard 10mm
    (4) Washers - Split locking

Run the bolts through the starter backwards

You can see the fruit of a wire brush in the die grinder to clean the valley - also see my powder coated coolant pipe.

It's been slow going lately - I need to remove powder coating from the THREADS on the bolts that were to have the HEADS coated.

Looking good, Mike! I haven't checked in on this in awhile, great to see the progress.
    My signature

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast