Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Swapping a 1UZFE (Lexus 4.0 V8) into a 2nd Gen 4Runner (LONG)

Re: Swapping a 1UZFE (Lexus 4.0 V8) into a 2nd Gen 4Runner (LONG)

Wow...learn something everyday. I had never heard about this "starter converion", but after doing a quick search lextreme, this seems like a really good idea! Saves from buying special tools.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

I'm not sure what tool they make for it, but for us doing this swap, the motor is close to the firewall making removing the starter bolts from the back of the engine impossible. Don't want to have to pull the motor to service the starter if I can help it...
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

Yeah, pulling the motor just to change the starter doesn't sound too fun. And I thought my 3vze starter was a pain enough! David over on Lextreme mentioned some sort of special tool for the 1uz starter, but it is very possible that I miss-understood him.

BTW, does the 1uz use 2 knock sensors?
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Just catching up on some threads. Mike, I don't know if this place is close to you but they normally have every kind of fastener known to man... Here's their locations in and around Pittsburgh:

http://www.fastenal.com/web/location...burgh&state=PA

Also, I have had good luck with getting bolts from NAPA.

Project is looking great! Can't wait to see it installed.
    1987 Toyota 4Runner<br />Specs Here: 4Runner Page

Thanks for the Fastenal info - I knew about one of them in the Pgh area, but didn't now they had so many stores. That will be a big help!

As far as the sensors, I guess they are both knock sensors - I really don't know for sure. With the sophistication of this motor, I'd guess they are monitoring both banks individually. That would make sense since there are 2 ignitors, 2 coils, etc.
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack

Quote Originally Posted by Cebby
    Started too long ago, will end before winter. My shop space goes away then and I'll have no where to work on it.
    Updates?

????????????

C'mon, you were supposed to wait 3 more days before you bumped it so it was a solid year between bumps.

Well, it takes time and money to finish this thing - I've got neither ATM. However, I'm expecting a deposit for a project that I might be able to squeeze a few dollars out of to buy my mandrel bends for the headers.

Here's the list of stuff that MUST happen to get this thing on the road:

Required:
    • headers
    • crossover pipe (using my stock Borla cat back for now)
    • oil pan mods/fresh from scratch
    • oil pickup tube mods
    • motor mounts
    • radiator
    • fuel lines
    • driveshaft alterations
    • crossmember
    • tires (35" KM2's)
    • bodywork to fit above
    • OME torsions, Cruiser coils and BJ spacers(have)
    • inspection

Nice to haves but not totally necessary to get on the road
    • brake line rework (like mt_goat did removing his ABS)
    • front skid/belly pan
    • chromoly rear axles (or FROR full floater)
    • bumpers/sliders
    • winch mount (I have the winch)
    • Plumb the OBA (I have the compressor and tank)

My interior is totally disguting now from having this thing sit in dark dank warehouse for so long. It's got a funk, plus I think I can make penicillin with some of the fuzz growing on the seats/steering wheel. I plan to gut it and get a vinyl floor throughout and possibly ditch the F & R stock seats for 4 buckets - ideally, I'd like to add a 3rd row of seats for the kids - so maybe even 6 buckets - still working that out.

This thing also needs an interior cage - I plan to go through the dash, not in front like most that I've seen.

dang my eventual plans for my truck (once I graduate and work for 80 years and can afford another truck to DD) were to swap in the 1UZ but it looks like it might be a little over my head...
    -David<br /><br />2000 Taco TRD Access Cab<br />v6 | 5spd | 33&quot; BFG A/Ts on 15x10 alloy | 33&quot; PC Mud Terrains on 15x8 black steel | 3&quot; Susp. Lift | OME 882&#039;s | Bilstein HD struts front | Rancho shocks rear | Chevy leaf spring swap | Custom sliders | Custom front bumper |3&quot; BL | U-Bolt flip | Flowmaster exhaust | Uniden CB | Firestik II | Dual Hella Black Magic&#039;s | Maglite Mod | Kenwood Speakers | Grey Wire Mod | Aux. Reverse Lights | Deckplate Mod<br /><br />Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Cebby
    C'mon, you were supposed to wait 3 more days before you bumped it so it was a solid year between bumps.
    Why do I get the feeling that some day you're going to be swapping the old motor back in to sell it as a "classic" for more than you originally paid? :P

- Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast