Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Honda Civic A/C issue

Re: Honda Civic A/C issue

Quote Originally Posted by SVTour98
    Hey guys, maybe you can help my wife and I out. I came across this thread while googling for info on an AC problem.

Anyhow, are there any other tests I can do?
    SVTour98, you've done about as much as you can as far as testing goes (system has pressure, pressure switch tests good). I'd bet money you have the exact same issue as I had with mine (thermal protector on the A/C compressor is blown). This is a VERY common problem on the Hondas from what I gather in talking to the techs over at the dealer and it's also a very cheap fix (but a bit of a PITA to do yourself because the part is buried below the alternator.....they'll only charge 1 hr of labor to replace the part). Just take it in to the dealer and I'd bet money you'll be up and running again for less than $150.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
    Hey guys, maybe you can help my wife and I out. I came across this thread while googling for info on an AC problem.

Anyhow, are there any other tests I can do?
    SVTour98, you've done about as much as you can as far as testing goes (system has pressure, pressure switch tests good). I'd bet money you have the exact same issue as I had with mine (thermal protector on the A/C compressor is blown). This is a VERY common problem on the Hondas from what I gather in talking to the techs over at the dealer and it's also a very cheap fix (but a bit of a PITA to do yourself because the part is buried below the alternator.....they'll only charge 1 hr of labor to replace the part). Just take it in to the dealer and I'd bet money you'll be up and running again for less than $150.
    Thanks for the quick reply! On a side note I tried the AC again last night around midnight and again this morning around 7am. Both times the ambient temperature was in the 70s and both times the AC still did not cut on. I'm going to try it again in a few minutes to make sure. Other than that I guess I'll run it to the dealer or wait until my parents get back from vacation so my dad can look at it. He does refrigeration for a living (homes not cars) but knows how to do all of this. Was just hopeful it was an easy fix that I could deal with.

Any idea on how to replace that thermal protector? Do you have to disassemble the compressor to get to it? Or is it attached to it? Any way to test and see if that is the issue before ripping it out?

Thanks for the quick reply! On a side note I tried the AC again last night around midnight and again this morning around 7am. Both times the ambient temperature was in the 70s and both times the AC still did not cut on. I'm going to try it again in a few minutes to make sure. Other than that I guess I'll run it to the dealer or wait until my parents get back from vacation so my dad can look at it. He does refrigeration for a living (homes not cars) but knows how to do all of this. Was just hopeful it was an easy fix that I could deal with.

Any idea on how to replace that thermal protector? Do you have to disassemble the compressor to get to it? Or is it attached to it? Any way to test and see if that is the issue before ripping it out?
    I know you want to do it all yourself, but I am telling you that the aggravation just isn't worth it at this point (I'm an ex pro auto mechanic myself so that should tell you something). Unless you have the FSM (factory service manual....Haynes manual has no info on this repair, I checked) for your vehicle I wouldn't bother going much further yourself with it. I realize your dad works on AC equipment, but the issue is likely electrical and very specific to the vehicle so with all due respect I'm not sure how much he'll be of help in this case. Just bring it to the dealer, tell them what you tested and they'll check it out for you (at that point even if you want to buy a FSM and attempt the repair yourself, you'll know exactly what is wrong with it......my money is on what I mentioned earlier). Like I said, this a very common issue with these 7th gen Honda Civics and the part is a PITA to replace (due to the location) plus it's cheap so just have them do the repair and save yourself the headache.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12