Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Seeks Input, 1994 4Runner

Newbie Seeks Input, 1994 4Runner

Thanks to slosurfer for sending me over here from ih8mud. Sorry for the cut and paste job if you saw this post over there, I'm just trying to decide if I should move on this one.

I just went and looked at, what I believe to be, a nice 4Runner to replace my much loved, but "can't afford the payments anymore" Turbo Subaru Forester.

Here's the dealers link; 1994 4Runner SR5 4X4. It looks and drives pretty good, running a bit rough at idle, the dampers feel worn (that could just be me, the Forester dosn't roll very much), and there looks to be very minimal rust on the frame. Dealer says new head gaskets, timing belt valve job (?), battery, and alternator.

What I'm looking for, first and foremost is a daily driver safe for hauling the two kids around. Second, an off-road toy well supported by the after market and able to take me on some of the trails in Tellico and Brown Mtn. NC both before and after modification.

I'd love to see some links to photos of this year/model modified for off-road (lifts, skid plates, diff locks, ect...).

Thanks Folks,
    Carl
    &#039;94 &#039;YotaRu&#039; 4Runner 3.Slo 5mt<br />&#039;03 &#039;Blubaru&#039; Forester X 4eat<br />&quot;Terrapondus&quot;-The natural tendency to gravitate toward the dirt.

Re: Newbie Seeks Input, 1994 4Runner

Carl, welcome to UY. "The Garage" section has some good examples of 2nd gen 4runners from stock all the way to fully built. I would imagine that the 4runner will have a bit more body roll than your subaru did, especially if the original shocks are still on there. With the 5spd, if you take care of it and baby the throttle, you should be able to get decent MPG out of it, the automatics are another story. Do you remember what the RPMs were at idle? Others here more mechanically inclined could help with the idle issue.

2nd gens are great for hauling kids and for romping around in the woods, even stock. I wheeled mine for awhile stock. In all reality, mine is still pretty close to stock. 6K may be a little much, I would try to talk them down from that. Kelley Blue Book, actually puts it right around that price, but that is for CA which may or may not be more expensive.

Others here could tell you some other stuff to look for, I am having a brain fart right now. Oh, check to make sure 4hi and 4lo are engaging. Let us know how it goes.
    My signature

Toyota trucks probably have the best off road aftermarket support next to jeeps. Like chris said, you can go from mild to wild. I don't know how tough of trails you want to do, but with just a little armor, a little lift and two lockers, you can take on the rubicon trail.

4Runners will sway much more than a lower, lighter subaru, that's just something you'll have to get used to. 3.0 engines don't have a lot of power and get about 17 mpg, but generally they're really reliable. Their only fault is the infamous headgasket problem but since the dealer already did it, it probably won't blow.

Common problems with this age of vehicle include the starter contacts worn, rear window malfunction and power steering pump leak. That's all I can think of for now. If you're handy with tools, these are all fairly easy fixes.

150k miles is a decent number of miles. I don't know if $6k is a good price or not for you area. Like Chris said, it's an OK price for CA...maybe a little high. But it looks like a pretty clean truck.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

5K would be a good deal especially for the east coast. Out west 6k would be more reasonable. There's always room for haggling. Cash talks, especially to used car dealers. I'd get it.

I suggest you use the "saggy rear springs" as a bargaining chip too... It's a relatively cheap fix anyways. I'd expect a 94 to go for 6K here.

The higher they sell anywhere, the better my resale value is (though I never intend on selling it).
    1991 4Runner 4x4 5-speed, 31&#039;s, 3vze<br />1992 Lexus SC400, auto, 1UZ-FE (donor)<br />1978 Datsun 280Z (project car)

Thanks Folks!!!

I've done some local price searching, and it seems as if the price is pretty good, many same year, same miles are going for quite a bit more. I'm going to try to get them down to $5500-5700. MPG is a bit of a concern with gas prices going up, but it does have brand new road oriented tires on it, so that should help. Today may be the day, I'm going to talk to my mechanic friend, sort out some $$$ issues, and get the gas consumption thing through the wife (that's the big hurdle).
    &#039;94 &#039;YotaRu&#039; 4Runner 3.Slo 5mt<br />&#039;03 &#039;Blubaru&#039; Forester X 4eat<br />&quot;Terrapondus&quot;-The natural tendency to gravitate toward the dirt.

Will be an 'official' newbie soon. Put down a deposit yesterday, and will be picking it up Fri. or Mon.

Much thanks for all the help!!!
    Carl

NIce and congrats! I know you will enjoy it, I know I enjoy mine.
    My signature

Well cool beans! Somebody else in the NC area.

I got 300 miles (~20mpg) out of a tank of gas recently, but I'm just 2wd and even then, I was pretty blown away. 17mpg is probably about right. They are pretty reliable trucks, other than the headgasket issue. I've spent about 800 in parts since I bought the 4Runner 5 years ago, and it has 205k on it now. No complaints from me.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Whelp, time for a re-introduction, two years later and newish member Crinale has convinced me to have another look at ultimateyota. I have not found myself happy on 'another' Toyota forum I need to find somewhere to call home.

I ended up with the above mentioned '94 4Runner and 20k mi., and many off-road adventures later, besides A LOT of catch up maintenance, my Yota (dubbed YotaRu due to my Subaru background), has not missed a beat!!! No modifications have been done, except a BudBuilt skid plate and a front recovery point that I made myself. I've got lots of plans, but of course the end of January was also the end of my job with nothing new in sight on the horizon.

So anyway, Howdy again folks, and a few pics of the YotaRu and her adventures;

My BudBuilt skid plate and custom recovery point.

Brown Mtn. OHV Park.

Cullowhee NC

Hurricane Creek NC. My most frequent wheelin' spot.

And a little video from Hurricane Creek.

Hopefully coming back here will get my Yota forum enthusiasm back up, I think all the folks on my Subaru forums are getting sick of this Yota guy hanging around ... actually, I love my Subie buddies and would never give up on them. www.offroadsubarus.com www.subaruforester.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast