Thread: Transfer Case skid plate for 3rd gen 4runners & Tacomas?

Transfer Case skid plate for 3rd gen 4runners & Tacomas?

I recall someone (stubbswelding?) that had a simple bolt on T-case skid for our rigs but can't seem to find it. Anyone know what i'm talking about?

I know Skid Row has one... http://www.skidplates.com/transfer_c...tes_tacoma.htm
    It looks nice and all but i'd probably be better off with Buds belly skid. Opinions?

Still looking for other options like the one i saw a few months ago...not having much luck though.

Is there anything in-the-works that somebody might know about?

&#039;96-&#039;02 4runner<br />When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser-

Re: Transfer Case skid plate for 3rd gen 4runners & Tacomas?

Those look nice. Whatever you do I would stay away from skids plates that bolt directly onto the tc. The soul reason is because if there are any weight applied to the skid it'll directly transfer to the tc and you could potentially damage your tc. The Skid Row design is good because it bolts to the frame so there's no way your tc gets touched.

Check out Bud Built as they build some quality skids too.

good luck!
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

I've bought more skid plates from Bud than i care to admit. To make a long story short, I sold one to Ric; and a couple other guys. I kept-have a custom 1/8" thick front (Bud) skid. I don't want a 3/16" belly pan connected to it. I want a beefy and independent TC skid.

I agree about skids plates that bolt directly onto the tc. Probably the reason why Stubbs no longer sells them.
    What was i thinking?!

Anyhow, i was reminded of another option from an individual on YT. I've been to this place a couple times and it's only 10 minutes away from where i live. Their prices are kinda high but it looks mighty nice...

www.offroadsolutions.com

&#039;96-&#039;02 4runner<br />When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser-

I'm going to see if they will just sell the frame so i can cut and weld my own piece of steel plate to it... making bulletproof protection with minimal weight added.

That is a nice product. Not many other choices.

If you say it is too spendy, please make it cheaper. If not...

I would not put a solid piece in there. Having the chance to drop that piece and have access without dropping the frame is a blessing. I used to have to pull an 85 pound 6 foot long belly pan to change my oil. I am a tank, but it was aggravating.

I have done a decent amount of work on trucks with these skids and the front skid. Pulling that plate saves lots of time.
    2k 4Runner&nbsp; Daily Driver<br />Long travel front<br />Longer travel rear<br />Diamonds, Foxes, Alcans and MT/R&#039;s <br />Goes fast and slow

Quote Originally Posted by Good Times
    Those look nice. Whatever you do I would stay away from skids plates that bolt directly onto the tc. The soul reason is because if there are any weight applied to the skid it'll directly transfer to the tc and you could potentially damage your tc. The Skid Row design is good because it bolts to the frame so there's no way your tc gets touched.

Check out Bud Built as they build some quality skids too.

good luck!
    You mean like front range's t-case skid? I wouldn't worry about it at all. I believe front range has never had a t-case break as a result of using their tcase mount. Maybe cheese can confirm that?

-------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

$275 seems pretty reasonable to me for something that will save your t-case and you from walking off the trail.