Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Double locking

Double locking

I have driven with the TRD LSD for awhile and on the road its great but off road there's a lot to be desired. With all that I have read here about the lunchbox lockers I bit the bullet and pulled the trigger to upgrade.

First I'm going to be pulling the TRD LSD out and putting a LOCK RIGHT in the rear and an AUSSIE LOCKER in the front and staying with 5.29s front and rear and will be going by the directions from the manufacturers. I know that there's more then a few of you guys out there that have done similar so if there's anything that you found to make the swap more indestructible please let me know your secrets.

Also if there's anything that I need to look out for please let me know ahead of time so I can prepare for it. Any positive and negative driving issues you think I should know feel free to tell me but remember I have already bought and have the lockers so changing for a different one is probably out of the question. This is just to hold me over till I can afford to do a full sas.

Thanks guys and lady's
    1990 4 runner <br />5.29 front with Aisin hubs coming soon Aussie locker<br />5.29 rears with TRD limited slip <br />35 x 12.5 x 15 B.F.Goodrich KO&#039;s<br />15 x 8 Micky Thompson Classic II rims<br />Pro Comp stage II 4&quot; suspension lift<br /><br />1955 Panhead Original Hardtail frame and Kick start only<br />Springer front end stock rake <br />Home made Stretched tanks <br />Arlen Ness Hand built rear Taildragger fender tombstone taillight<br />I am the SECOND OWNER did all the work myself<br /><br />1998 flhtc Dresser<br />Stretched tanks <br />Arlen Ness Fat Tail rear fender<br />Arlen Ness custom extended hard bags with my custom exhaust running Thur Nascar Style dual tip out both sides (4 tips total)<br />Stealth Bomber Radar absorbing flat black paint

Re: Double locking

i hear parking lots can be tricky, especially with the 5spd. i think as long as you just dont accelerate fast (which you shouldnt be doing anyway...) you should be fine with it. everything ive read over the past year and a half in researching for my truck says it will take a bit to get used to it all.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Ya thats about the only issue that I have heard of but just thought that I would try to see if anyone would have any advice that I have not seen or heard of yet.So keep it comin people
    1990 4 runner <br />5.29 front with Aisin hubs coming soon Aussie locker<br />5.29 rears with TRD limited slip <br />35 x 12.5 x 15 B.F.Goodrich KO&#039;s<br />15 x 8 Micky Thompson Classic II rims<br />Pro Comp stage II 4&quot; suspension lift<br /><br />1955 Panhead Original Hardtail frame and Kick start only<br />Springer front end stock rake <br />Home made Stretched tanks <br />Arlen Ness Hand built rear Taildragger fender tombstone taillight<br />I am the SECOND OWNER did all the work myself<br /><br />1998 flhtc Dresser<br />Stretched tanks <br />Arlen Ness Fat Tail rear fender<br />Arlen Ness custom extended hard bags with my custom exhaust running Thur Nascar Style dual tip out both sides (4 tips total)<br />Stealth Bomber Radar absorbing flat black paint

I am hoping to be on the same road as you are on very soon, except Aussie Lockers F/R.

Curious as to why you went Lock Right in the rear instead of Aussie?

i love my detroit... wouldnt have anything else in the rear of mine.
    94 EX cab, 5speed, V6, locked, ARB bar, NWOR headers<br />92 4runner, auto, V6, OME suspension, Downey headers

Aussie has repeteitly told me for the last 4 months that the v6 rear will be ready in a month or so well I got tired of waiting and the money got a little to free so if I did not spend it to get them when I did no telling where it may have gone I have two Harleys to support as well

im with snap-on the detroit may have been $511 but it is worth its weight in gold. It is not a problem at all in parking lots. Im not sure about lunchbox lockers, but the full detroits allow the diff to act "open" when there is now power applied to the wheels.
    -Brandon<br />1988 4Runner SR5 V6/R150F<br /><br />Armor:Marlin Rear~Addicted Front~4X Innovations sliders~SS IFS Truss<br />Suspension:1.5” BJ Spacers~Downey 3” Springs~26MM TB~Shackles~ES3000<br />Drivetrain:5.29s~Detroit-R~Lock-Rite-F~33x12.50 PC MTs~15x8 Streetlocks<br />Recovery:Smittybilt XRC8~30’x4” PC strap

I have a EZ loker in the front and a Detroit in the rear. With manual locking hubs, the front isn't really an issue on the street. It kills your turning radius on the trail though, but what front locker doesn't? I guess you can say the rear Detroit feels kinda like a slipping auto tranny.
    Rig Specs <br />&#039;94 4Runner 3.0L V6 4x4, 33&quot; Goodyear MT/R, 4&quot; SAS, All-Pro Bumpers and Sliders, Tubingworks Fender Armor, Rear 5&quot; Marlin Leaf Springs, Bilstien 5150 front &amp; 5125 Rear, Warn M8000, K&amp;N Filtercharger, 300w Power Inverter, Optima Yellow Top, Viair 450C, Cobra 75WXST CB w/ Firestik II, Flowmaster 40 Series, Viper Keyless Entry, Rear-Detroit Soft Locker, Front-Detroit EZ Locker<br />Trail Pics

Gotta support the Detroit rear locker option here to. I love mine. I debated for months about a selectable or the Detroit. It is not transparent but it is not an issue at all. Proper setup make a huge diff though in how they act. Off road it is excellent. Makes it almost seem like cheating.
    ________________________________<br />Eric<br /><br />2006 Tundra D-Cab V8<br /><br />&quot;All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing&quot;

i think you love having a fully locked truck stay off the gas in the corners and you'll be fine or hell stomp it once in awhile when you want to piss off some old lady the detroit and lockright act the same so you'll dig it... you'll also notice a little wobble when you get on and off the gas but you'll get used to it
    85 4 runner that&#39;s just a little modified call TUBINGWORKS FAB FOR ANY FAB NEEDS 619 438 1160

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast