Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom Rear Bumper Pics Thread

Re: Custom Rear Bumper Pics Thread

Most are trailer spindles with tapered bearings, though I have heard of some breakeage using only 1 hinge (too much bending stress?).
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

If I ever build a swing out carrier, I think I might try something similar to this one and use a locking hub and spindle.
    http://www.bc4x4.com/chrisw/projects...er/carrier.asp
    My signature

slee sells one, its expensive.

i plan on using delrin (sp?) bushings, 2 hinges for each door, one high one low.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer
    If I ever build a swing out carrier, I think I might try something similar to this one and use a locking hub and spindle.

That looks like a really good design tbh, simple and robust. I dont think I woulda used a hib but nonetheless a good design overall. I would use a trailer bushing and bearing.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer
    I like that, it's clever and if needed you could lock the swing out in one position and have it stay (like if you need the tailgate down) . . . one thing I don't like on that specific bumper, I've seen bigger latches on KMart tool boxes
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    i plan on using delrin (sp?) bushings, 2 hinges for each door, one high one low.
    If you need Delrin bushings, I can spin some up for you, I got tons of it. Yes your spelling is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by corax
    I like that, it's clever and if needed you could lock the swing out in one position and have it stay (like if you need the tailgate down) . . . one thing I don't like on that specific bumper, I've seen bigger latches on KMart tool boxes
    Yeah, overall the bumper is so-so, but I like the hub idea. Being able to open it and lock it to hold it in any position is pretty cool. Especially if you are sidehilled and opening the carrier uphill. Also, if you used an aisin one, it could be used as a spare hub if need be.
    My signature

Best design ive seen

Yeah the fatmouse bumpers are pretty cool. Only thing I don't like about the rear, is that with a hitch you have gained no ground clearance which is half the reason to do a bumper in the rear of a 2nd gen.
    My signature

Quote Originally Posted by 4runnerchevy
    Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    If you need Delrin bushings, I can spin some up for you, I got tons of it. Yes your spelling is correct.
    might take you up on that! should be starting mine sometime this summer, hoping to be done by pismo!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast