Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question on timing belt, water pump and etc

Re: Question on timing belt, water pump and etc

Quote Originally Posted by Albuquerque Jim
    I think it is recommended to replace the cam seals, crank seal, the 2 idler pulleys and the tensioner at the same time.
    All of mine were fine at 125K
    99 4Runner SR5 - Desert Dune<br />Bri-Mar 5x8 trailer, Toyo OC AT 265.75.16, PP Springs and Bilsteins, AirRaid MIT and Deckplate, Aftermarket HU w/ Sirius built-in

I think it is recommended to replace the cam seals, crank seal, the 2 idler pulleys and the tensioner at the same time.
    if i had the $$ i would but i may wait till 200k miles to do that stuff.. i need to keep it as simple and as cheap as possible.
    2002 Tacoma 4x4 3.4 v6 4-Door <br />96k miles and counting!

Quote Originally Posted by mkgarrison5
    if i had the $$ i would but i may wait till 200k miles to do that stuff.. i need to keep it as simple and as cheap as possible.
    I've mentioned this before, but I would wait on that stuff too. Most of the time if you change your oil regularly and the motor hasn't been overheated, the seals will last well past 300k miles before they begin to leak/weep. To add to that, the best install job on the seals is usually done at the factory. So when a mechanic replaces them and happens to damage one in the process of installation (we're all human), you can have a leak develop later even with a brand new seal. I would recommend to tell the mechanic to only replace the seals if they are visibly leaking/weeping and otherwise hold off. If the seals are still good even at your 3rd timing belt change (90-100k per interval), I'd say change them at that point.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by gpcollen
    All of mine were fine at 125K
    How do you determine if the tensioner and pulleys are still in good condition?
    &#039;00 SR5, &quot;Highlander&quot; <br />Dual Cases, Aisin Hubs, E-Lock&#039;d, Cryo&#039;d, Chromo&#039;d, ARB&#039;d, 315&#039;s, Sonoran Steel Bumper, Lift &amp; UCA&#039;s, 4 Crawl 1&quot; BL, Armored...etc.<br /><br />F-Toy #081 in progress<br />Dual Cases, 30 Splines, 5.71&#039;s, E-lockers, Hydro-Assist, 37&#039;s, DOM Hendrix Chassis, 80Proof, ORS, Sonoran Steel...etc.

How do you determine if the tensioner and pulleys are still in good condition?
    That's alot harder, but I usually spin them by hand and if they are smooth with no audible noise and have no "gritty" feel to them when you apply pressure to them when spun, then they are probably ok to run until the next timing belt. There is obviously no guarantee on that though.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

can you tell by sound when the motor is running if the pulleys are going bad?? when it rains i hear mild sqeeling type noise but i think its just bc the belts need replacing but if they are tight they shouldnt be slipping

can you tell by sound when the motor is running if the pulleys are going bad?? when it rains i hear mild squealing type noise but i think its just bc the belts need replacing but if they are tight they shouldn't be slipping
    The timing belt doesn't slip at all so usually by the time you hear squealing actually coming from the timing belt area, you'd only hear it for a few seconds before the timing belt snapped from the heat generated by running over a seized idler pulley.

Seriously, I'd bet money those are the accessory belts, not the timing belt that is squealing (the bearings may be noisy or howl when bad). I'd buy the idler pulleys anyway then you have them on hand if you need them when the T-belt gets replaced. If the idle pulleys are really bad enough to squeal, then you'd be able to feel that right away when turing the pulley by hand. If you don't use the parts, just return them to the dealer and get your money back when the job's done.

Quote Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
    can you tell by sound when the motor is running if the pulleys are going bad?? when it rains i hear mild squealing type noise but i think its just bc the belts need replacing but if they are tight they shouldn't be slipping
    The timing belt doesn't slip at all so usually by the time you hear squealing actually coming from the timing belt area, you'd only hear it for a few seconds before the timing belt snapped from the heat generated by running over a seized idler pulley.

Seriously, I'd bet money those are the accessory belts, not the timing belt that is squealing (the bearings may be noisy or howl when bad). I'd buy the idler pulleys anyway then you have them on hand if you need them when the T-belt gets replaced. If the idle pulleys are really bad enough to squeal, then you'd be able to feel that right away when turing the pulley by hand. If you don't use the parts, just return them to the dealer and get your money back when the job's done.

um did i say timing belt???? i meant drive belts sorry for the confusion i know the difference lol bad communication i guess... how much are the pulleys and at 90k miles you think they would really need replacing?? i ll just wait till i get the DRIVE belts put on before i decide with the pulleys lol

how much are the pulleys?
    No idea

and at 90k miles you think they would really need replacing??
    Not likely but it's better to have them and not need them than vice versa.
    If you're having a mechanic do the work then he can just get tham from the dealer as needed.
    Answers in red.

how much are the pulleys?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast