Well i took the stock hitch off long ago in order to run a full size spare. Then i decided i need to tow. I had a couple choices. I was thinking about building a custom bumper with built in hitch but decided against it. I then fabbed up a high clearance hitch. Removed all the spare tire crap and completely removed the crossmember. The hitch is very high clearance, about .5" above the rear bumper. Cut a notch in the bumper for the reciever and thats about it. 40 bucks in parts and metal, a few hours with the chop saw, welder and drill and i was set. Just thought i would share.

The shackle hangers are not part of the hitch though. I made those a while back, Sonoral Steel style. They will soon be removed though. They hang down too much and drag a lot offroad. Instead i will be welding on a pair of Rockstomper Shackle Hanger Tabs. They will hang down about 2.25" less than the Sonoran style ones. That will be good.

Now what about my spare? I did throw it up top in the basket for a while but soon decided that wasnt the way to go. Hitch mounted Spare tire carrier was pretty much my only choice. I saw the one Bruce made/designed and decided that was the way to go. All i have to say is, Good job Bruce! It turned out super nice and is very solid. I made it short enough so that i still have a good amount of sight out the back window. Kind of a pain in the ass to drop down when i need in the back but i can usually avoid that by simply rolling down the window and reaching in. Tons of clearance offroad now though. Well worth the small hassle of having to drop the spare down when i have to.