Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backpacking Tent

Backpacking Tent

Anyone have any good suggestions for a 4 season, 2 person backpacking tent. I've been looking at some from Sierra Designs, but they tend to get pricey quick.
    1990 4Runner (For Sale)<br />1997 4Runner LTD, e-locker,ISR MOD, Deckplate<br />2002 Tundra Access Cab

Re: Backpacking Tent

i have something that i'd not recommend: sierra designs clip flashlight tents. i had one and its not freestanding. its not worth it and after having one, i'd never buy another freestanding tent again.

SD makes some good stuff. you know, if you buy it at rei, you can return it at any time . i used my clip for 2 years and returned it back and got another SD tent.

bob

I have this one and like it, it isn't a four season tent though
    http://www.trailspace.com/gear/mount...m-with-a-view/
    My signature

Bob,

I fully agree with you, thanks for the heads up. REI is a good place to buy, I'm a member so I like buying stuff there because they give you a percentage back at the end of the year. I spend way too much money there.

Slo,

I actually really like the tent you have, it has all the features I was looking for. I was hoping for a 4 or 3-4 convertible, but I would settle for a 3 if it was a good deal. Do you mind me asking how much you paid for it and where you got it?
    1990 4Runner (For Sale)<br />1997 4Runner LTD, e-locker,ISR MOD, Deckplate<br />2002 Tundra Access Cab

Sorry, it was a christmas present and I know my parents got it at a local Mountaneering place (Mountain Air Sports). No idea on the price I bet it is much less now on the internet than it was then. I think it had just come out when they got it for me. I also got the "footprint" tarp for it, which is awesome. I was just reading about some reviews on it and some rainflys didn't have taped seams or something and leaked, but they would send you one with taped seams if you complained. I need to check mine out, I haven't had it out in the rain yet. It's easy to set up which makes it a good car camping tent when you are on the move and setting up camp everyday like a multi day Death Valley trip.
    My signature

You're going to be hard pressed to find a Backpacking tent that 4-season that doesn't cost a fortune. Most backpacking tents are 2 or 3 season, or strictly cold weather.

I've had a North Face Tadpole 23 (2-person 3-season) for about 5 or 6 years now, and I love it. it fits my needs, and is holding up great after extensive use.
    http://www.rei.com/product/747801

Here's a pic camping out on White Rim in Moab:

~Jamie<br />2000 TRD 4WD PreRunner, 3.4L V-6, Rear Locker,<br />TRD Gen. I Supercharger, URD Fuel Kit, Hayden 679, <br />IPT Valve Body Upgrade, Deckplate Mod, Airaid MIT, <br />URD 2.2&quot; Pulley, TRDOLMAN Magnaflow Exhaust, <br />Inchworm &quot;Lefty&quot; T-Case, FROR Twin Sticks,<br />DR CoilOvers, Camburg UCA&#039;s, 32 x 11.50 STT&#039;s, <br />15x8 AR Teflon Mojave&#039;s, Demello Sliders, Demello Skid-Plate,<br />4xInnovations Front Bumper, and Tailgate / Spare Carrier<br />...and a lot of other stuff

if you can swing it SD makes the Omega, which I have, and it is a 3-4 season convertible. a little pricey but I've have mine for over 5 years. Right now at campmor.com for 299. look for a used one online or a new but previous years model:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,...mega_Dome_Tent

this appears to be a 2004-2005 for 160.

Mountain hardwear PCT 2 I think its called. I have the PCT 1 and love it, very small and compact to pack and quite large enough for me. Frestands very simple with 2 sets of poles.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

i have a northface backpacking tent (2man) and love it. it has been through 10 inches of rain in 45 minutes. EVERYTHING washed from around it and the tent stayed with only a tiny tiny puddle of water.. i was very very impressed.
    2002 Tacoma 4x4 3.4 v6 4-Door <br />96k miles and counting!

Unless you plan on mountaineering, you really don't need a 4 season tent. If you will use it for backpacking then try to keep its weight under 5 lbs. Under 4lbs is even better. when I get some extra money, I plan on getting one of these.
    http://www.tarptent.com/cloudburst2.html
    92 4Runner SR5 V6 4X4<br />Skyjacker Nitro shocks, Pro-Comp steering stabilizer, clear bumper lenses, lund windjammer, OME standard coils, ISR mod, inlet pipe removed, Bushwaker Fender Flares.<br /><br />2002 Tacoma Prerunner V6 extracab. Lund Intercepter bug guard, rear glass sunshield, Bilstein shocks on rear.<br /><br />2004 Honda CRV EX stock belongs to wife.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast