Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steens Mountain National Byway (Frenchglen, Or)

Steens Mountain National Byway (Frenchglen, Or)

Wanted to put this in a place with higher traffic then the camping section.

Stumbled across a article about this place at work the other day, ended up reading the write-up 3 or 4 times. Talked to the gf about making it a 3 day thing sometime next month or Aug. and shes down for it. Just curious to know if anyone on here has driven it and any info you have on it.

Be cool to turn it into a small trail ride for some. Nothing hard, just pure scenic with 1 day for sure, maybe 2 days of camping.

http://www.traveloregon.com/Explore-...our-Route.aspx
    94/2.4/5spd/261/331250GeolanderMT

Re: Steens Mountain National Byway (Frenchglen, Or)

sounds fun but like always it to far away
    My Truck 98 4runner 4x4 SR5 3.4L 5spd E-Locker <br />Mom 07 Tundra d-cab limited 5.7L 4x4 auto fully loaded<br />mom&#39;s 92 pickup SR5 3.0L 5spd 4x4 <br />Papa 89 Pickup SR5 X-cab 4x4 3.0L 5spd/98 4runner 3.4L auto 4x4 <br />R.I.P 91 4runner SR5 4x4 3.0L 5spd Totaled 5/13/06

Quote Originally Posted by Elton
    sounds fun but like always it to far away
    you say its 4 hours from you, its 6.5 for me. quit the whinning!

well i do need a vacation can i go ?
    My Truck 98 4runner 4x4 SR5 3.4L 5spd E-Locker <br />Mom 07 Tundra d-cab limited 5.7L 4x4 auto fully loaded<br />mom&#39;s 92 pickup SR5 3.0L 5spd 4x4 <br />Papa 89 Pickup SR5 X-cab 4x4 3.0L 5spd/98 4runner 3.4L auto 4x4 <br />R.I.P 91 4runner SR5 4x4 3.0L 5spd Totaled 5/13/06

make sure that you go down past fields and check out the alvord desert. you can camp right on the desert and open fires are permitted with burn pan. the soil resets itself after the occasional heavy rain and there are some sweet hotsprings on the way into the desert. you have to drive to the bottom of the steens. check out a book by published by the Mountinaeers, called Wild Oregon, or something. email me for more details. went out two years ago, definately worth checking out. I live in portland so it was about a day of driving each way for me, looks to be about the same for you.

pdxsteve@gmail.com and I can go home and check out the guidebook i mentioned and shoot you some more info or at least the exact title

the artist formerly known as ssweari1 at that other fourm.

hey, did you ever decide on this trip? It's worth it!

I've been so busy with work, its been pushed back a bit. Still want to do it, and still plan on it, but I've got some issues to deal with truck wise and a wedding in TN I need to have funds for in Sept. so for now its on the back burner. I've still got your email stored away and will probably shoot one your way soon just for some more pinpoint info.

I used to camp on the Alvord Desert every year for an ultralight Fly-in. The highest I've ever been in my ultralight was the day I decided to leave at daybreak and fly over the top of the Steens. I had my 250 pound airplane at 8500 feet when the 40hp engine ran out of power to climb any higher. It was a trip. That whole area is awesome. If you go to the lake bed be sure to hit the hot tubs.

UK, where do you live now? Most people who live in Oregon (in the valley at least) don't even know where the Steens are located or that they even exist! I think the road that circles the Steens that EWAYota alluded to wanting to run has some mild pucker factor but nothing like an ultralight.

When we were going to Alvord every year I lived up in Northern Idaho. I live in Norcal now. I was just through Burns Junction and Jordan Valley last month on my roadtrip to Idaho and back.. It's not that far from Fields or Alvord.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast