Thread: Blower fan on a 2003 Dodge Caravan

Blower fan on a 2003 Dodge Caravan

Just had a fellow coworker today ask me what was wrong with her minivan because she either had full blast high or completely off with her blower fan climate controls. Well, right away I said it sounded like the blower fan resistor and as it turns out I was correct. So she called the dealer and they gave her some song and dance about how they'd have to tear into the dash to replace it (she claimed they wanted $200 plus parts!!!). I said hogwash, let me have a peek and sure enough, plain as day the resistor was right behind the glovebox....it could not have been any easier to replace. Less than 5 minutes (no joke!) and I had the new one swapped in. Fan works fine on all speeds now and it only cost her about $20 CDN for the part from the dealer. I think someone owes me lunch! Anyway, I just wanted to post it up in case someone had a similar issue with their Caravan (or as it turns out almost any Dodge product in the 2001-2004 year range including Durango and Dakota....the location is slightly different in these other models but still very easy to change).

Here's what you see right behind the glove compartment (piece of cake ):

Here's the steps my grandma would need to fix this :

1) Open the glove box.

2) Flex both sides of the glove box bin inward near the top far enough for the rubber glove box stop bumpers to clear the sides of the glove box opening, then roll the glove box downward.

3) Reach through the glove box opening to access and disconnect the instrument panel wire harness connector for the blower motor resistor from the resistor connector receptacle.

4) Reach through the glove box opening to access and disconnect the blower motor pigtail wire connector from the resistor connector receptacle.

5) Remove the two (8mm) screws that secure the blower motor resistor to the evaporator housing.

6) Remove the blower motor resistor from the evaporator housing.

Here's some good info on the subject too:
    http://www.thegatesofdawn.ca/wordpre...a-fan-problem/
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Re: Blower fan on a 2003 Dodge Caravan

nice job. eh
    -Bryan- 99 Sr5

Re: Blower fan on a 2003 Dodge Caravan

I had this exact problem with my old '96 Grand Voyager SE a couple years ago! (I traded it a little over a year ago for a very slightly used '06 Sienna.) Sounds like the only difference between the 01-04 models and my '96 was the resistor was mounted to the firewall in the engine compartment (not behind the glove box). It was a bit of a bean to get to since the firewall is recessed under the windshield/wiper assemblies, and pretty corroded from moisture, but was well worth the effort.

Nice work!
    -Scott<br />&#039;01 Black SR5 4x4 w/ Black Pearl&#039;s: Detroit Truetrac | Tundra/OME 890s w/ Tokico Trekmasters | SS Diff Drop/Panhard | Tundra rotors/calipers | Rear Diff Breather Extension | Hayden cooler | K&amp;N | ISR | Deckplate | Jet Black PC&#039;d LC 16x8&#039;s w/ LT265/75R16 Cooper S/T&#039;s