Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Dyno Oil??

Re: Best Dyno Oil??

ive always gone with castrol or valvoline. on my 92 runner i used castrol gtx high mileage, i thought it was awesome. next oil change the 99 gets the gtx hm
    99 4Runner Limited

Valvoline and Castol GTX for me.

1995 4Runner, 5spd, 22R-E, stock, 125,000 miles

when do you guys start using the high mileage? i have 90k miles and have been using mobile 1 for about 40k miles now. kind of tired of paying the price for it and thought about switching over to dino due to the subjects being brought up about mobile 1's formula being switched from a basestock 4 to a blend of basestock 3 and 4..so i guess you could say you may not be paying for the true mobile syn like you used to.. who knows.. plus i dont see a harm in switching back and forth from valvoline hm and mobile 1 syn..
    2002 Tacoma 4x4 3.4 v6 4-Door <br />96k miles and counting!

the high mileage says over 75k.

i use castrol gtx.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Isn't high milage on a Toyota like 400,000? Cause at 75,000 your still breakin it in!

they must base that on domestics, because you would be on your third or fourth transmission by then.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I have always used Castrol GTX, but recently switched to Castrol Syntec blend. It is $1 more per quart but I have also extended my oil changes from 3,500 miles to 5,000 miles. I cycle to work every day, so the 4Runner tends to sit several days on end. I understand the small amount of synthetic oil in the syntec blend will help reduce wear on startup.

you can run the standard GTX with no problems for 5k miles.. they also showed good UOA's in most vehicles... just use a good filter.. to me, filter is key

MK, keep up the research (BITOG, etc) and we'll make you the new go to guy for oil questions. You might have swayed me into trying the Valvoline Durablend next myself (instead of the Valvoline full synthetic) and see how that works for me. I really don't want to spend much more than $15 per gal CDN for my oil so I'm not dying to pay up for full synthetic unless I get proven value (via UOA or otherwise). I've always been a fan of using factory oil filters, but there are obviously others that do a great job as well.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

lol that site is addicting mtl! my brain has soaked up so much info its sad..though i am still learning how to read the charts.. this is what i gathered so far as far as oils that are NOT full synthetics and that is 5w-30 oil that work great in our 3.4's now our 3.4's are NOT sludge machines so really you can use any dino oil and get 5k quality miles out of them but these are the ones that stuck out the most

-valvoline maxlife and durablend (both actually a blend but the maxlife has more agents that clean the motor and condition seals) both are about the same but the maxlife has more of additives.. (i would toss a coin unless you have a LOT of miles then the maxlife will work better imo).. they both will clean the motor very well esp compared to mobile 1 synthetic bc actually the full synthetics dont really "Clean" the motor, they only keep it clean if that makes sense.. me personally i am going with the durablend bc as of right now i dont think my seals need "conditioning" but later they will. you can deff run the maxlife throughout the vehicle life and be very safe. its personal preference

-castrol gtx (regular dino)and the castrol gtx High Mileage (blend with cleaning additives and seal conditioning) did pretty well #'s wise, same as the syntec.. so dont waist the $ on the syntec (unless you are running over 5k mile intervals). just get regular gtx. esp within 5k mile intervals..the #'s were better for the 4-cylinders.. so if i had the 4 cyl tacoma i would deff go with castrol gtx regular or HM

-penzoil about the same as castrol gtx (regular dino)

those were the ones that stuck out to me the most... i dont question that mobile 1 syn is good stuff but its expensive and lately their additive package has been really questionable and the #'s show it.. therefore i am dropping mobile 1 from my motor. i do have mobile 1 syn in my gear boxes and t-case...

-

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast